Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
2899 replies to this topic

#2621 OFFLINE   detroit_fan

detroit_fan

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

If you don't mind potential fan noise, xtc recommended this one in another thread:

http://www.amazon.co...g=5336432741-20

I've used the fanless version in the past and had zero issues with it.

thanks, i'll look into that one

Nope, I really like the TT docks.  I am used to using them and understand them.  There are other alternatives, of course, but I have no interest in them.  When I find something that works well and is easily understood, I kinda stick with it unless something comes along to blow its doors off.  I've been very upfront with the problems I've had with the TT docks and those issues are easily dealt with.  And they are cheap.  

Rich

Thanks Rich. the main reason i want something different is becaue of the way they have treated me during the warranty claim on this. If they would have said it's only 1 year warranty i would be fine with that, but when i call them they pretend to take down my info and say they will send me instructions, but they don't. I can barely understand any of them on the phone, and they refuse to answer my emails. i'd just rather not give them and more of my money if this is the way they treat customers. i like to reward good customer serivce, even if it is more expensive.

While reviewing other docks, i came across a review where a guy took a toothpick and wedged it alongside the power button to hold it in. I've tried it an it's been good for a few days now. Not sure how long it will last, but it shoud give me time to figure out a replacement.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2622 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

There have been several post about problems with the Rosewill line.  Enough to make me wary of the brand.

Rich

Yeah, I see that now.  After checking I realized the fanless enclosure I was successfully using is a NexStar not a Rosewill.  My bad!

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2623 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,201 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

thanks, i'll look into that one

Thanks Rich. the main reason i want something different is becaue of the way they have treated me during the warranty claim on this. If they would have said it's only 1 year warranty i would be fine with that, but when i call them they pretend to take down my info and say they will send me instructions, but they don't. I can barely understand any of them on the phone, and they refuse to answer my emails. i'd just rather not give them and more of my money if this is the way they treat customers. i like to reward good customer serivce, even if it is more expensive.

While reviewing other docks, i came across a review where a guy took a toothpick and wedged it alongside the power button to hold it in. I've tried it an it's been good for a few days now. Not sure how long it will last, but it shoud give me time to figure out a replacement.

Ah, now I remember.  I've only returned one and I had no problems with it, but the guy didn't sound friendly.  I can understand your frustration.

Rich

#2624 OFFLINE   Choir

Choir

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:43 AM

Decided to upgrade the storage on my HR34.

Ordered a 3TB WD AV-GP hard drive (WD30EURS) and a Thermaltake enclosure (ST0021U).
I wanted to get the Antec MX-1 but it is out of stock everywhere, I am wondering if it has been discontinued.

I am going to try and set it up this weekend.
What is the procedure?
RBR on the HR34 and power on the enclosure while the HR34 is rebooting?

Thanks,

Choir

Rosewill RX-358 V2 BLK Not Recognized By My HR24/100

I bought a Rosewill RX-358 V2 BLK from Amazon to replace my increasingly noisy Antec MX-1 that's been a workhorse for my HR24/100 for a bunch of years.  No matter how many long spin-ups I allowed the Rosewill before powering up the DVR, how many different eSATA cables I tried the HR24 never found the enclosure.  There was a very brief disk access light blip at the "Almost There..." screen, but no joy at all in the end.  I finally gave up and put the HD back in the Antec and had, as usual, immediate success.  Too bad, the Rosewill was cheaper, seemed well built and was quieter to my ears than what many others have reported on this thread - seemed very quiet to me.  I'll have to try one of the other enclosures suggested on this thread since the MX-1 is no longer made by Antec and very pricy from the sources I've found on the web.

Edit: Ordered the Thermaltake Max 5.

Please let us know how you make out with that enclosure.  Your experience with the Rosewill enclosure mirrors the experiences of other members who have tried them.  

Rich 

I have had the Thermaltake Max 5 (model ST0012u) on my HR34 since the end of March and it has been working flawlessly.

Choir

#2625 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,201 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

I have had the Thermaltake Max 5 (model ST0012u) on my HR34 since the end of March and it has been working flawlessly.

Choir

Quiet?

Rich

#2626 OFFLINE   Hotelone

Hotelone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCentral Sierra Mountains

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

I had immediate success with the  Thermaltake Max 5 after my previously posted fail with the  Rosewill RX-358 V2 BLK.  The Max 5 is very quiet, two fans and there's a switch to turn off the gaudy fan lights despite some web comments I'd read.  There is a very large bright blue disk access light on the front, nothing a little black electrical tape can't fix.  Thanks for everyones help on this thread!

Edited by Hotelone, 30 July 2013 - 05:26 PM.

DirecTV subscriber since 1994

HR44-700 -> 60" Panasonic Plasma
HR24-100 -> 50" Panasonic Plasma
C31 -> 22" Junk Magnavox LCD

#2627 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

you underestimate iron tool :) I could make this light dim or change its color ... no limits for a handyman !

Edited by P Smith, 30 July 2013 - 08:55 PM.

#2628 OFFLINE   Hotelone

Hotelone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCentral Sierra Mountains

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:17 PM

you underestimate iron tool :) I could make this light dim or change its color ... no limits for a handyman !

I'm intrigued, please explain...

DirecTV subscriber since 1994

HR44-700 -> 60" Panasonic Plasma
HR24-100 -> 50" Panasonic Plasma
C31 -> 22" Junk Magnavox LCD

#2629 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:31 PM

it's easy: open the box, remove PCB with a controller, find where is locate a resistor what limit a current of the LED and replace it to higher value: say it was 220 Ohm, you'll put 330 Ohm; or change the LED to green one ... so using soldering iron you could do that easy :)

#2630 OFFLINE   Choir

Choir

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:30 AM

Quiet?

Rich

Whisper quiet.

Choir

#2631 OFFLINE   Starrbuck

Starrbuck

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts
  • LocationDFW, TX

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:57 AM

I'm currently using two BlacX enclosures on my Genie and HR24, but the thing I do not like about them is they leave the drive exposed to dust and accidental touching of running components.  I would prefer something enclosed and something with active cooling.

*** DirecTV customer since 2004 ***

HR44-700 (2TB) + AM-21 -> Panasonic TC-PST60 Series 60" Plasma

HR24-500 (2TB) -> Samsung 6000 Series 55" LED

C41-700 & C41-500

#2632 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:06 AM

it's not a matter of the dock but cleaning a house or/and prevent dust coming into it

#2633 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,201 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

I'm currently using two BlacX enclosures on my Genie and HR24, but the thing I do not like about them is they leave the drive exposed to dust and accidental touching of running components.  I would prefer something enclosed and something with active cooling.

I've never had a dust problem, you'll see that with enclosures that suck in air.  Nothing exposed is "hot" on a TT dock.  

Rich

#2634 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,201 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

it's not a matter of the dock but cleaning a house or/and prevent dust coming into it

I use one of my docks in my utility room, certainly the room that is the dustiest in the house and have never had a problem.  

Rich

#2635 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

I've never had a dust problem, you'll see that with enclosures that suck in air.  Nothing exposed is "hot" on a TT dock.  

Rich

Not hot, but they do get reasonably warm...much warmer than in an actively cooled enclosure.  I've had 2 HDD failures in the last 2 years that I switched to the docks.  I had zero HDD failures in the 1st 3 years using the Antec MX-1 enclosures. I had one fan go bad in that time but the drive was fine....

#2636 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,201 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

Not hot, but they do get reasonably warm...much warmer than in an actively cooled enclosure.  I've had 2 HDD failures in the last 2 years that I switched to the docks.  I had zero HDD failures in the 1st 3 years using the Antec MX-1 enclosures. I had one fan go bad in that time but the drive was fine....

I don't recall ever having a bad drive in an MX-1 either.  I'd have to check my Amazon account to see how long I've been using the docks...July 21, 2010.  Got my first one.  Never bought anything other external device since then.  I've lost an old, probably the first EADS I bought, 2TB drive.  I sent one back I wasn't sure of (turned out to be a TT problem) and got a new one without any problems. I have had some problems with the docks over the years tho.   

Not bad for a three year stretch.  Haven't lost an internal 2TB drive yet.

Rich

#2637 ONLINE   GAM

GAM

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

My MX-1 has been great also, too bad they stopped making them.

#2638 OFFLINE   Starrbuck

Starrbuck

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts
  • LocationDFW, TX

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

The great thing for me about the MX-1 was it was completely enclosed.  Too bad the fans failed or I would still be using the two that I had...

Edited by Starrbuck, 02 August 2013 - 01:02 PM.

C41-700 & C41-500

#2639 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,201 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

The great thing for me about the MX-1 was it was completely enclosed.  Too bad the fans failed or I would still be using the two that I had...

Try a TT dock, I've never had a problem with the fans on them.

Rich

#2640 OFFLINE   Starrbuck

Starrbuck

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts
  • LocationDFW, TX

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:01 PM

Try a TT dock, I've never had a problem with the fans on them.

Rich

I have two TT docks.  I would prefer an active cooling enclosure so that the drives are better protected.  (I already posted this a few messages ago...)

C41-700 & C41-500

spam firewall