Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
3157 replies to this topic

#2641 OFFLINE   bfrost

bfrost

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:13 AM

I _think_ that I have search enough without success prior to posting. Maybe I am searching for the wrong thing.

Is there something special needed to use a dock with a 4 TB drive? Most of the ones linked in this posting have 2TB (or 2.5TB) size limits in their description. Will the TT that keeps getting linked work? It is listed with a 2.5TB limit on amazon.

I bought the RX-358 and I am getting errors with it. I borrowed a dual SATA duplicator from a friend and it isn't having the problem so it looks like the enclosure is the issue.

thoughts?

#2642 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

I _think_ that I have search enough without success prior to posting. Maybe I am searching for the wrong thing.

Is there something special needed to use a dock with a 4 TB drive? Most of the ones linked in this posting have 2TB (or 2.5TB) size limits in their description. Will the TT that keeps getting linked work? It is listed with a 2.5TB limit on amazon.

I bought the RX-358 and I am getting errors with it. I borrowed a dual SATA duplicator from a friend and it isn't having the problem so it looks like the enclosure is the issue.

thoughts?

I'm not sure I would trust the manufacturer's data on how big an HDD their devices will work with.  In the past they've been wrong. The only way to know for sure is to try one.  Please post your findings.

Rich

#2643 OFFLINE   Mufatu

Mufatu

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:18 PM

Thanks to the help in this forum, I'll be going with a WD30EURS.  I am looking to avoid a Thermaltake (TT) Dock, however.  Has anyone had any experience with the Anker Uspeed USB 3.0 & eSATA to SATA External Hard Drive Docking Station.  I want to do an external dock, but I want it to be reliable over the long-haul, especially considering it will be always-on.

Thanks!

Eric

#2644 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,057 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

the dock is new, nobody has a experience for long run

#2645 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:35 AM

Thanks to the help in this forum, I'll be going with a WD30EURS.  I am looking to avoid a Thermaltake (TT) Dock, however.  Has anyone had any experience with the Anker Uspeed USB 3.0 & eSATA to SATA External Hard Drive Docking Station.  I want to do an external dock, but I want it to be reliable over the long-haul, especially considering it will be always-on.

Thanks!

Eric

Just read some of the reviews on it and it sounds good.  Be interesting to see how you make out with it.  Please let us know.

Rich

#2646 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:33 PM

For anyone who's looking for a well built, decently priced, eSATA enclosure check this one out:

http://www.amazon.co...&keywords=ms4ut

I haven't used it personally but I haven't had a single issue with any SansDigital enclosures on my HR's.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2647 OFFLINE   avonabudget

avonabudget

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 42 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

I have an HR24-100 running ESATA with WD20EURS & TT Max 5 and an HR34-700 running ESATA with WD30EURS & TT Max 5.  Both setups running with no issues.

For five years I have had an HR21-700 running an ESATA setup with WD10000CSRTL & an Antec MX-1.

Edited by avonabudget, 17 September 2013 - 09:05 AM.

HR34-700/AM21N on ESATA WD30EURS & TT Max 5
HR24-200/AM21 on ESATA WD20EURS & TT Max 5
HR21-700/AM21 on ESATA WD10000CSRTL & Antec MX-1

#2648 OFFLINE   Ed Snape

Ed Snape

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

Thanks!

Eric

Just read some of the reviews on it and it sounds good.  Be interesting to see how you make out with it.  Please let us know.

Rich

Just ordered the Anker.  Will report back. MX1 finally got too noisy to tolerate.. Will I be able to simply move drive from MX1 to Anker or will a format be required? Has anyone just unplugged MX1 fan and used MX1 as fan-less sled?

Ed

#2649 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

Yup, you can move the HDDs from one enclosure to another without the HDD being reformatted.  All your content will play.  All the external devices work in this manner.

I would not try the MX-1 without the fan.  

Rich

#2650 OFFLINE   Hotelone

Hotelone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 56 posts
  • LocationCentral Sierra Mountains

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:59 AM

You won't need to re-format, if the Anker chipset is compatible it will work with everything intact.  When my MX1 got noisy I got a TT enclosure, I wouldn't use any solution without a fan - it gets too hot in the enclosed environment my gear is in.  After the fact I did wonder why I didn't just take a look at replacing the MX1's fan.  I'll take a look and see how hard it would be.

DirecTV subscriber since 1994

HR44-700 -> 60" Panasonic Plasma
HR24-100 -> 50" Panasonic Plasma
C31 -> 22" Junk Magnavox LCD

#2651 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,057 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:33 AM

Just ordered the Anker.  Will report back. MX1 finally got too noisy to tolerate.. Will I be able to simply move drive from MX1 to Anker or will a format be required? Has anyone just unplugged MX1 fan and used MX1 as fan-less sled?

Ed

Will not re-format and all your SL and events will be there.

#2652 OFFLINE   Ed Snape

Ed Snape

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

You won't need to re-format, if the Anker chipset is compatible it will work with everything intact.  When my MX1 got noisy I got a TT enclosure, I wouldn't use any solution without a fan - it gets too hot in the enclosed environment my gear is in.  After the fact I did wonder why I didn't just take a look at replacing the MX1's fan.  I'll take a look and see how hard it would be.

Will not re-format and all your SL and events will be there.

Thanks for your helpful replies. Just as you both stated no need to re-format. The Anker dock comes nicely packaged with included eSATA and USB 3 cables, and wall wart power supply. The first time I powered everything up the DVR reverted to its internal drive, but a red button reboot engaged the external  Anker docked WD 1 TB drive. 1 Solid Blue LED for power and 1 flickering blue LED for drive activity. Socketing of the drive seems firm, not sloppy. No fan, but major portions of the drive sides and end are directly exposed to air. 

Previously the drive ran for about 24 hours in the fan less MX1 with cover removed. Temperature rise seemed slight, although I have no means for measurement other than touching the side. Time will tell us how durable the setup is

Ed  

#2653 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for your helpful replies. Just as you both stated no need to re-format. The Anker dock comes nicely packaged with included eSATA and USB 3 cables, and wall wart power supply. The first time I powered everything up the DVR reverted to its internal drive, but a red button reboot engaged the external  Anker docked WD 1 TB drive. 1 Solid Blue LED for power and 1 flickering blue LED for drive activity. Socketing of the drive seems firm, not sloppy. No fan, but major portions of the drive sides and end are directly exposed to air. 

Previously the drive ran for about 24 hours in the fan less MX1 with cover removed. Temperature rise seemed slight, although I have no means for measurement other than touching the side. Time will tell us how durable the setup is

Ed  

I think most HDD are rated to run at no more than ~150 degrees F.  Interesting.  Without that monstrous fan running and the cover off, you really have a "dock" of sorts.  First time I opened an MX1, I could  not believe how big that fan was. 

Rich

#2654 OFFLINE   fullcourt81

fullcourt81

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

My WD 20EVDS in a MX1 docking station just failed after 3 years of use. The fan is not spinning all the time, and I think that the hard drive got too hot. 

Now going with a WD 20EURS and a Thermaltake BlackX. Hope to get another 3 years out of the new drive on my HR24-100.

#2655 OFFLINE   spunkyvision

spunkyvision

Godfather

• Registered
  • 403 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

My WD 20EVDS in a MX1 docking station just failed after 3 years of use. The fan is not spinning all the time, and I think that the hard drive got too hot. 
Now going with a WD 20EURS and a Thermaltake BlackX. Hope to get another 3 years out of the new drive on my HR24-100.

Check the warranty on the MX-1. I had 3-4 of them where fan failed and contacted Antec and they RMA'd all of them at no cost. You can't or at least couldn't get your own fan before.
Is the drive bad? If not just remove it from the Antec and pop it in the dock and you haven't lost anything. If the drive is bad then you are doing the right thing.
Only thing I don't like on the BlackX is the power button eventually stops working. Again, mine are a little older (maybe better design now) and Thermaltake replaced them but you need to have a spare dock or enclosure just in case. Only if tv matters to you that much. I can't miss my Sports :-)

#2656 OFFLINE   fullcourt81

fullcourt81

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

Check the warranty on the MX-1. I had 3-4 of them where fan failed and contacted Antec and they RMA'd all of them at no cost. You can't or at least couldn't get your own fan before.
Is the drive bad? If not just remove it from the Antec and pop it in the dock and you haven't lost anything. If the drive is bad then you are doing the right thing.
Only thing I don't like on the BlackX is the power button eventually stops working. Again, mine are a little older (maybe better design now) and Thermaltake replaced them but you need to have a spare dock or enclosure just in case. Only if tv matters to you that much. I can't miss my Sports :-)

thanks for the info.

yes, drive is bad, could not get laptop to recognize it. popped a spare 320G hard drive into the MX1 and the DVR formatted it automatically, so MX1 works, but fan is sputtering.

I will contact Antek, I could always use a replacement for something else. I have a spot behind my TV for the Thermaltake, so it should run cool.

I am doing this to be ready for College football. got to fit all those games onto the external drive.

#2657 OFFLINE   spunkyvision

spunkyvision

Godfather

• Registered
  • 403 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

No problem. I know how you feel. I record English soccer and College football on Saturdays so all of my boxes are recording, spouse not happy on Saturdays. ;-)

#2658 OFFLINE   Tidalcloud

Tidalcloud

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts
  • Locationthe sticks of Western New Jersey

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:18 PM

I'm a big fan of this http://www.amazon.co...s=rosewill meta enclosure.  Been working like a charm for me for some time.  Keeps the drive nice and cool. 

-R

DirecTV:

HR21 w/2TB external

HR21 w/2TB external

HR20 w/1TB external

HR20 no external

#2659 OFFLINE   Kevin L

Kevin L

AllStar

• DBSTalk Club
  • 97 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:42 AM

Hi, All.

I had three HR20s (owned) that I upgraded the internal drives to WD 2TB Green drives. In May, I picked up an HR44-500, a SansDigital TR4UTBPN 4-bay hardware RAID 5 eSATA enclosure, and four WD Red 2TB WD20EFRX drives. Before upgrading the internal drives on the HR20s I had used single-drive eSATA enclosures on them, so am very familiar with the process. I set up the HR44 and the TR4UTBPN eSATA and four drives, and fired it up. I didn't give it a second thought until this week when I noticed some recording were marked for possible deletion and there was less than 10% free space. What, 6TB filled already? Since there's no way to check in System Info whether you are using eSATA or not, I could only assume I was recording on the internal drive. Shutting the HR44 and eSATA down, I removed the eSATA and restarted the HR44. Sure enough, there was the playlist I was using, so it was never recording on the eSATA. I tried several times to restart the HR44 with the eSATA attached, but no joy. Suspecting a bad cable, I ordered another. Did not help. Since the new TV season starts this month, and I record entire seasons of some shows before watching, it was urgent to get this working. I've already removed two of the HR20s and the third will go soon. My TiVo Premier XL is being replaced Friday with a new TiVo Roamio Pro six-tuner with 3GB. This was I can record shows on both DirecTV and Comcast. I also record OTA on the HR20 for some can't miss shows, so all bases are covered: satellite, cable, and OTA. When I pull the HR20 I'll add an AM21 to the HR44.

I finally got the HR44 to see the eSATA RAID. I disconnected the RAID box  from the HR44, hooking it up to the HR20, restarting, and letting the HR20 process it. I then reversed it. When I started the HR44, it's now seeing the TR4UTBPN and its four 2TB Western Digital Red drives in RAID5. 6TB of space. I hope this helps others who may have a problem with eSATA.

Kevin

#2660 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,057 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

thanks for reminding,

we got already a discussion why HR34 and HR44 do require to init new eSATA drive by other DVR from HR2x family; real reason unknown, perhaps it's just a bug or missed a chunk of FW code

Protected By... spam firewall...And...