Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
2951 replies to this topic

#2681 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,031 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

I have some as-yet unresolved issues with my HR24/500s that I'm still hoping turns out to be a bad connector, switch or LNB. In the event that it's DVR related, I'm trying to formulate a literal backup plan - both 500GB have less than 5% available. I remembered bookmarking this thread several months ago. I thought I remembered something along the lines of using an eternal dock to move or copy recordings from the DVR. I looked through the thread for an hour or so last night but didn't see that kind of info. Is my memory faulty or did I just miss it?

There is an entire other thread dedicated to copying drives for use with the exact same receiver. I suggests using the original post and the original software its easier.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2682 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,798 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

He could clone it to a larger drive, but isn't the HR24 still limited to 2TB?

Yes, it is still limited to 2TB.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2683 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,798 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:26 PM

there was some posts indicating new FW could support bigger drives ...

But it doesn't.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2684 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:54 AM

I have some as-yet unresolved issues with my HR24/500s that I'm still hoping turns out to be a bad connector, switch or LNB.  In the event that it's DVR related, I'm trying to formulate a literal backup plan - both 500GB have less than 5% available.  I remembered bookmarking this thread several months ago.  I thought I remembered something along the lines of using an eternal dock to move or copy recordings from the DVR.  I looked through the thread for an hour or so last night but didn't see that kind of info. Is my memory faulty or did I just miss it?

Could those issues you're having be caused by your HDDs being full?  You could test that by putting an external drive on each of them.  I have no issues with my 24-500s, but I use 2TB drives in all of them and they rarely get over the 50% full mark.  I do have to flush the Guide data on them more frequently than I do with the 24-100s or my one 24-200.  The 24-500s are a good machine when they run properly.

Rich

#2685 OFFLINE   Bruce M.

Bruce M.

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:09 AM

So I have a strange situation, or at least it runs counter to the orthodoxy on external drives and DTV units as I understood it.

Have the "standard", or a standard, 3 TB Western Digital drive in a Thermaltek enclosure.  Worked fine on my HR34 for 3 or 4 weeks after a recent free upgrade.  But that unit was giving me a message that my TV could not accept DTV's 1080p signal, which I knew was wrong, since the prior HR21-100 on that TV passed 1080p, complete with a checked 1080p box in the resolutions sub-menu, just fine.

After wrestling with three different layers of CSR's, I finally got a tech to the house.  He brought a HR44 this time, just now available in the Seattle area.  After install, the 1080p issue was resolved.

But then a weird thing happened.  I reconnected the external drive.  All my shows remained on the drive, and viewable, even through the new HR44.  Although there is another receiver (HR 24-500) in the house with its own internal drive, and I have Whole Home, I am certain that I am reading the external drive, because it has shows on it that are not part of that receiver's programming, because a test recording I made on the 44's internal drive is not showing up on the play list, and because the remaining capacity  percentage showing is precisely the same as it was before the receiver swap.  

Is this supposed to happen? 

#2686 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,031 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

So I have a strange situation, or at least it runs counter to the orthodoxy on external drives and DTV units as I understood it.

Have the "standard", or a standard, 3 TB Western Digital drive in a Thermaltek enclosure. Worked fine on my HR34 for 3 or 4 weeks after a recent free upgrade. But that unit was giving me a message that my TV could not accept DTV's 1080p signal, which I knew was wrong, since the prior HR21-100 on that TV passed 1080p, complete with a checked 1080p box in the resolutions sub-menu, just fine.

After wrestling with three different layers of CSR's, I finally got a tech to the house. He brought a HR44 this time, just now available in the Seattle area. After install, the 1080p issue was resolved.

But then a weird thing happened. I reconnected the external drive. All my shows remained on the drive, and viewable, even through the new HR44. Although there is another receiver (HR 24-500) in the house with its own internal drive, and I have Whole Home, I am certain that I am reading the external drive, because it has shows on it that are not part of that receiver's programming, because a test recording I made on the 44's internal drive is not showing up on the play list, and because the remaining capacity percentage showing is precisely the same as it was before the receiver swap.

Is this supposed to happen?

You will notice you can't actually watch any oft chose shows though. You can only see them in the playlist. And yes that's normal. The nice part is at least you don't have to redo any series links, they will work. The bad is you hit play on the old recordings from the other replace genie and it won't play, you might as well delete them now.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#2687 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,570 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:27 PM

All my shows remained on the drive, and viewable, even through the new HR44.

You will notice you can't actually watch any oft chose shows though.

It would be a earth shaking revelation indeed if it turned out that Bruce M. is right about the programs being viewable from another DVR's external drive.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#2688 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:32 AM

Ok everyone, lets try to stay on the topic of recommended eSATA drives.

:backtotop

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#2689 OFFLINE   Bruce M.

Bruce M.

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

It would be a earth shaking revelation indeed if it turned out that Bruce M. is right about the programs being viewable from another DVR's external drive.

My fault.  I randomly tested some of the shows on the list, and each played, but it turns out that I happened to test only shows that had been recorded on the HR24 drive.  Damn.  Sorry for the bandwidth waste.  

#2690 OFFLINE   dtparker

dtparker

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:49 PM

Any chance we could get a reasonably current list of external enclosures, disk drives, and e-sata cables that are working for people?

The WD MyBook AV 1TB works great for me, but I want more capacity.

If such a list exists, then please send me a pointer, and excuse the interruption; I confess to not reading all 135 pages of this thread.

thanks,

Dave

DirecTV since 10/29/1999

Slimline-5, SWiM 8, MRV with DECA Broadband

H24-700    - AM21n - Toshiba 29" LED  - Exercise room

H23-600   - AM21n - DECA  - Sony 55" SXRD - Bonus Room

HR23-700 - AM21 - DECA - 2TB e-Sata - TT Max 5 - Sony XBR 32" - Bedroom

HR24-100  - AM21 - 1TB e-Sata - WD MyBook AV - Sony 40" W3000 - Living Room

#2691 OFFLINE   Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero

Godfather

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:28 AM

How can I tell if my HR44-500 is using the external HDD or not? Besides recording movies and calculating how many hours I can store!

I have a 4TB external HDD.

#2692 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:50 AM

Always have 1 recording on the internal for reference

#2693 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

Any chance we could get a reasonably current list of external enclosures, disk drives, and e-sata cables that are working for people?

The WD MyBook AV 1TB works great for me, but I want more capacity.

If such a list exists, then please send me a pointer, and excuse the interruption; I confess to not reading all 135 pages of this thread.

thanks,

Dave

We still recommend the Green WD drives.  And the Thermaltake docking stations.  You can get both at reasonable prices on Amazon.  How's that for simplification?

Rich

#2694 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:22 AM

Always have 1 recording on the internal for reference

1 recording that you wouldn't normally record.  

Rich

#2695 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

1 recording that you wouldn't normally record.  

Rich

That too, but having just a single recording on the internal drive would pretty much be a dead giveaway which drive you were on as well.

Edited by CCarncross, 02 October 2013 - 10:34 AM.

#2696 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,031 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:23 PM

I just picked up a a red drive 4tb and it's working perfect so far.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#2697 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if we hadn't reached the point where just about any good HDD will play with the HRs.  I don't remember the last time I heard of an HDD that wouldn't work.  

Rich

#2698 OFFLINE   dtparker

dtparker

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

We still recommend the Green WD drives.  And the Thermaltake docking stations.  You can get both at reasonable prices on Amazon.  How's that for simplification?

Rich

Great!  Thank you!

On the HR24, aren't we still limited to 2TB though?  Why are people installing larger drives?

Thanks,

Dave

DirecTV since 10/29/1999

#2699 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:27 AM

Great!  Thank you!

On the HR24, aren't we still limited to 2TB though?  Why are people installing larger drives?

Thanks,

Dave

If you'll notice most of those are people installing larger drives in the HR34/44 models which do not have that limitation.  The HR2x models are still limited to 2TB.

#2700 OFFLINE   dtparker

dtparker

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:55 PM

Ah that makes sense.  How large a drive does the Genie support?

If you'll notice most of those are people installing larger drives in the HR34/44 models which do not have that limitation.  The HR2x models are still limited to 2TB.

DirecTV since 10/29/1999

spam firewall