Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
3157 replies to this topic

#261 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,444 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:59 PM

Who's gonna know besides you and me?

Just several hundred people who read this thread religiously. :)

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#262 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:14 PM

Sorry to be a bother BUT - when I go to Amazon and search "western digital caviar green 1.5tb" they show three different units at very different prices.

It's this one (currently $110). I see another Amazon entry for the very same model at a higher price, but evidently that's some sort of mistake. (It probably doesn't matter to you, but Newegg does not have free shipping to Hawaii, while Amazon does.)

Edited by GregLee, 20 November 2009 - 12:19 PM.

Greg

#263 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,444 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:30 PM

It's this one (currently $110). I see another Amazon entry for the very same model at a higher price, but evidently that's some sort of mistake. (It probably doesn't matter to you, but Newegg does not have free shipping to Hawaii, while Amazon does.)

Yup, that's the goopd one. :lol:

Rich

Edited by Rich, 20 November 2009 - 02:31 PM.
spelling error.

#264 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:02 PM

I traded the 2TB WD black for 2TB WD green and, so far, it's working for me. Fingers crossed that it stays that way.

Just wanted to update and say my set-up--2 TB Western Digital Green in Antec case--as guided by other members via this thread (thanks again!), is still working very well on my HR20 since my September install.

Still loving the 2 TB of storage. We've got many (most?) shows from the start of the season that we haven't been able to watch and it's still only at about 25% of capacity.

The next time one of my other external drives die, I'd definitely go with this set-up again.

#265 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,444 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:59 PM

Just wanted to update and say my set-up--2 TB Western Digital Green in Antec case--as guided by other members via this thread (thanks again!), is still working very well on my HR20 since my September install.

Still loving the 2 TB of storage. We've got many (most?) shows from the start of the season that we haven't been able to watch and it's still only at about 25% of capacity.

The next time one of my other external drives die, I'd definitely go with this set-up again.

Ah, another satisfied Antec customer. Wonder if they realize why they are selling so many MX-1s? Anyhow, goopd for you. (I've added "goopd" to my dictionary.)

Rich

Edited by Rich, 20 November 2009 - 02:31 PM.
Spelling error.

#266 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:54 PM

Ah, another satisfied Antec customer. Wonder if they realize why they are selling so many MX-1s?

Me, too. My Antec MX-1 and WD15EADS 1.5Tb drive arrived this morning from Amazon (both for $161, free shipping). It took 10-15 minutes to put them together, I hooked up to my HR20-700, recorded and played back a couple of things, and it seems to be working fine.

I understand there is still some issue about a possible slow down when these large drives come to have < 50% room left, so I'll keep an eye on that.

In this thread we are supposed to be commenting on the D* recommended but unsupported 3 external drives. I did consider those, but they are just not price competitive, and the hints about some special juice in the D* operating system that might work only for the recommended drives seemed too vague, to me.
Greg

#267 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,444 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:35 AM

Me, too. My Antec MX-1 and WD15EADS 1.5Tb drive arrived this morning from Amazon (both for $161, free shipping). It took 10-15 minutes to put them together, I hooked up to my HR20-700, recorded and played back a couple of things, and it seems to be working fine.

I understand there is still some issue about a possible slow down when these large drives come to have < 50% room left, so I'll keep an eye on that.

With any eSATA, you'll probably see a bogging down of the HR at about 30% available. Just do a menu restart and that will refresh the HR and the speed will come back. I've had a 2TB that was full and dropping off programs to make room for more recordings and all I needed to do was refresh the HR by the menu restart once in a while. When it slows down, you'll see it right away. The larger the hard drive, the less you have to worry about the bogging down effect. Takes a long time to fill up the 1.5s and 2TBs.

In this thread we are supposed to be commenting on the D* recommended but unsupported 3 external drives. I did consider those, but they are just not price competitive, and the hints about some special juice in the D* operating system that might work only for the recommended drives seemed too vague, to me.

I know that with the Seagate Showcase you only get a one year warranty. And you're limited by size and they are more expensive than the Antec route. Since Seagate usually has at least a 3 year warranty, it makes me wonder about the Showcases. Members have reported problems with the Showcase on HRs other than 700s. I've talked to the folks at Seagate quite a bit and they don't seem very interested in the Showcases.

Rich

#268 OFFLINE   jwp767

jwp767

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:40 PM

Rich-

I have an HR20-700 that I am trying to get a Seagate 1.5TB 341AS deal on. I've seen some go for less than $100 on eBay vs. $114.95 shipped on Amazon....so far I haven't been able to snag one yet on eBay at the cheap price and may give up and get the Amazon.com drive.

But in the meantime, what do you mean in the above post by "menu restart" to help slowing down symptoms from a HD that is getting full?

How do you do a menu restart without restarting the whole system?

Thanks-Wes

#269 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,444 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:44 PM

Rich-

I have an HR20-700 that I am trying to get a Seagate 1.5TB 341AS deal on. I've seen some go for less than $100 on eBay vs. $114.95 shipped on Amazon....so far I haven't been able to snag one yet on eBay at the cheap price and may give up and get the Amazon.com drive.

But in the meantime, what do you mean in the above post by "menu restart" to help slowing down symptoms from a HD that is getting full?

How do you do a menu restart without restarting the whole system?

Thanks-Wes

Hold down the "Info" button for several seconds and you will be taken to the "System Info and Test" page. Go to your left and you will see the "Reset" option. Hilight that option and press "Select" and you will see three options. The top option, "Restart Receiver" will be hilighted, press the "Select" button and the HR will restart. That's the simplest way to get both eSATA and HR to restart in the proper sequence. You could also unplug the eSATA and the HR and then plug in the eSATA and then the HR. Result will be the same.

Here's a link to the Seagate 1.5 that I would use.

Rich

#270 OFFLINE   jwp767

jwp767

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:11 PM

Good tip on the Amazon....it had already come down from $119 to $114 a week or so ago.....but it must have just gotten reduced again to the $99 price. I'm ready to buy it now and skip eBay.

On the restart question though.....it appears that procedure is a reset of the whole dvr and not just the menu itself right?

Wes

#271 OFFLINE   cuzzoni

cuzzoni

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:09 PM

Has anybody tried the Iomega DVR expander 1tb model with their HR20-700?

Also when I connect the external drive, will the internal drive completely stop working, as in physically stop spinning? I realize that only the external drive will be in use by the DVR. I'm hoping that hooking up an external drive will give me two benefits, more storage space, and quieter operation as my DVR is pretty annoying with the constant hard drive and fan noises.

Thanks,
CB

#272 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:48 PM

Also when I connect the external drive, will the internal drive completely stop working, as in physically stop spinning?

I think it continues to spin. I've heard that, and I just put my finger on my HR20, which uses an external eSATA -- I feel vibration. I recall suggestions for opening the box and disconnecting power to keep the internal drive from spinning, but I don't know whether anyone has actually done that. (I don't think the HR20-700 has an internal fan.)
Greg

#273 OFFLINE   bustert

bustert

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:36 AM

I goopd my drive into the MX 1 no problem, but a question or two. I have not hooked it up to the HR yet as I would like some clarification or please point me to where the info is already written.

First, the MX (or HDD?) makes a faint buzz type sound as thought the fan is rubbing as it turns. Do you tighten the HD mount screws till they stop, or leave them loose enough for the rubber mounts to have some effect? I was wondering if tightening them all the way might cause fan interference. Or is it just the noise it makes?

Does the HD spool up in this state or only when it is connected to something with a cable?

Somewhere I read that once this is connected the internal HD is not accessable unless you disconnect the external HD. To access the internal again you need to do a menu restart?

I understand that you cannot watch what is recorded on the external drive on anything but the receiver it was recorded with. OK. What happens if you do transfer this to another unit. It just records over what the first unit did? Or is that space not available to do anything with?

Is there a field guide for this kind of info you can direct me to?

As was just asked, it would be nice to know if you can deactivate the internal drive to cut the noise and heat.

Thanks to you all.

#274 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,444 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:10 AM

Good tip on the Amazon....it had already come down from $119 to $114 a week or so ago.....but it must have just gotten reduced again to the $99 price. I'm ready to buy it now and skip eBay.

On the restart question though.....it appears that procedure is a reset of the whole dvr and not just the menu itself right?

Wes

Doesn't really "reset" the HR, just restarts it.

Rich

#275 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,444 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:15 AM

Has anybody tried the Iomega DVR expander 1tb model with their HR20-700?

Also when I connect the external drive, will the internal drive completely stop working, as in physically stop spinning? I realize that only the external drive will be in use by the DVR. I'm hoping that hooking up an external drive will give me two benefits, more storage space, and quieter operation as my DVR is pretty annoying with the constant hard drive and fan noises.

Thanks,
CB

Seems like it should stop spinning, doesn't it? They do run well without an internal drive, so you would think that there would be a switch or an option to shut the internal off when an eSATA is added, but logic rarely prevails with the programmers. To answer your question, yes it just keeps spinning away. At least on the 20-700s, the fan keeps running, but put an eSATA on a 21 and the fan stops and you get a constant temp of 77 degrees. Even tho the internal drive keeps running. So you end up shooting juice to two HDDs even tho only one is needed. Brilliant.

Rich

#276 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,444 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:34 AM

I goopd my drive into the MX 1 no problem, but a question or two. I have not hooked it up to the HR yet as I would like some clarification or please point me to where the info is already written.

First, the MX (or HDD?) makes a faint buzz type sound as thought the fan is rubbing as it turns. Do you tighten the HD mount screws till they stop, or leave them loose enough for the rubber mounts to have some effect? I was wondering if tightening them all the way might cause fan interference. Or is it just the noise it makes?

There were some issues with the fans on the MX-1 a while back. Lots of people say that they are silent. I haven't found that to be true and don't recommend them for quiet bedrooms. I have mine resting on foam pads. If the fan annoys you, contact Antec, they seem to be pretty good about replacing the enclosures if there is a problem. I do tighten the mounting screws so that they are nice and snug.

Does the HD spool up in this state or only when it is connected to something with a cable?

They all spool up right away when the power cord is plugged in. Some eSATAs don't light up until they are recognized by the HRs. I've got tape over the blue lights on the Antecs, so I never really noticed. You alway want to have the jumper cable plugged in before plugging in the power cord. Don't want to be jiggling the HDD when it is spinning. Lost a couple eSATAs like that.

Somewhere I read that once this is connected the internal HD is not accessable unless you disconnect the external HD. To access the internal again you need to do a menu restart?

You can do it that way. I wouldn't. I'd pull the power cord on the HR and then pull the power cord on the eSATA. Then reboot the HR and leave the eSATA unplugged. That will give you access to the internal drive.

I understand that you cannot watch what is recorded on the external drive on anything but the receiver it was recorded with. OK. What happens if you do transfer this to another unit. It just records over what the first unit did? Or is that space not available to do anything with?

I've done this a couple times and the easiest way to get rid of the programming is to go to "Playlist", press the "yellow" button and when the small menu pops up go to "Mark Programs to Delete" and then go to "Mark All" and go to "Continue" and then delete all the marked programs.

Is there a field guide for this kind of info you can direct me to?

It's easier to just ask the question rather than rooting thru pages of info.

As was just asked, it would be nice to know if you can deactivate the internal drive to cut the noise and heat.

You "can" open the top panel and disconnect the power to the internal drive, bear in mind if you don't "own" the HR, you "may" not do that.

Rich

#277 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:47 AM

I tightened the screws down firmly, but they could have been tightened further. I just walked over and put my ear down to my MX-1 -- I couldn't hear anything. I assume the fan is running. (But the laptop fan I put on top of my HR-20 a year ago is getting pretty noisy -- is there some sort of maintenance I should be doing on it?)
Greg

#278 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,444 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:01 AM

I tightened the screws down firmly, but they could have been tightened further. I just walked over and put my ear down to my MX-1 -- I couldn't hear anything. I assume the fan is running. (But the laptop fan I put on top of my HR-20 a year ago is getting pretty noisy -- is there some sort of maintenance I should be doing on it?)

Why did you put a laptop fan on the HR20? They run up to about 130 degrees without problems and are well ventilated. I've never had a heat problem with a 20-700.

Screws are meant to be "snugged" up so that they will not back off. If they do back off, you're gonna have problems. Gently snug up the screw so that it reaches the point where you'd have to apply a lot of pressure (torque) to turn it more and stop.

Rich

#279 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:47 AM

Why did you put a laptop fan on the HR20? They run up to about 130 degrees without problems and are well ventilated. I've never had a heat problem with a 20-700.

I read over one or two threads of discussion about that, where opinion was divided. Mostly those in favor of fans just used the very general argument that most any electronic equipment will likely run better and longer if it's a little cooler. I thought there was enough reason there to make a fan a good investment. My HR20 has not been problem-free, but whether its problem (loss of signal on one tuner) was heat-related, or whether it would have developed other problems without the fan, I have no idea.
Greg

#280 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,444 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:24 AM

I read over one or two threads of discussion about that, where opinion was divided. Mostly those in favor of fans just used the very general argument that most any electronic equipment will likely run better and longer if it's a little cooler. I thought there was enough reason there to make a fan a good investment. My HR20 has not been problem-free, but whether its problem (loss of signal on one tuner) was heat-related, or whether it would have developed other problems without the fan, I have no idea.

Which model of HR20-xxx is it?

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...