Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
2912 replies to this topic

#2841 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,268 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:00 AM

Success! My previous post outlined an epic fail between a WE30EURS/ThermalTake BlacX Dock and my HR44-700. I returned them and this is what worked:

The following worked perfectly, first try, no special treatment, just quickly assemble the enclosure, drop the drive in, push forward to mate with connectors, flip holding clip. Ready to go.

Western Digital WD20EURX (2 TB SATA III, Amazon)

ThermalTake Max 5 Active Cooking Enclosure (Amazon: double quiet fans, lighted if desired)

Standard connection/startup procedure:

1. Shut down HR44-700 (I used Menu Restart)

2. When front  panel lights go out, pull power plug on HR44

3. Connect eSATA cable between HR44 and the Enclosure

4. Power Up Enclosure and wait 1 minute.

5. Put HR44 Power Plug back in (it will auto power up)

Watch drive light on the enclosure, it will flash intermittently and continue to do so. As the HR44 comes alive, the screen will tell you it is formatting the external drive.

I have no idea why the other setup would not work out of the box on the HR44. I dropped down from 3 TB to 2 TB when I ordered this newt setup, only because I thought 3 was too big to have so much stuff on when it failed (and it will, eventually). I am using a BlacX Dock on my HR24-200 with a 2 TB drive successfully.

Since I changed type of interface (Dock > Full Enclosure), and Size (3 TB > 2 TB), and of course it was physically a different drive, I can't tell anyone why the first setup would not work. It could have been a bad dock, a bad drive, requirement that the drive be initialized (per P. Smith), etc.

Of course, I have to input all my series links and I lost the Sports Search (which should return in a few days), and have to wait a few days for the series links to populate, but at least now I have enough space to due the 5 tuners in the HR44 some justice.

Those EURS drives have been mildly problematic for some time.  The initial setup you had should have worked.  I dunno for sure why it didn't work.  I'm down to one 24-100 with an external drive and when something happens to that setup, I'll be done with externals.  Well, maybe I shouldn't be so quick to say that.  I do have one 24-200 that I've never tried to put a bigger internal drive in because of the size of the HDD sled.  If I get the urge, I'm gonna try the wire tie thing with that one and see how it works.  Might have to put an external on that one.  But that's a special case.

Put bluntly, I'm sick of external drives.  I own ten HRs and that's two more than I really need.  I know this:  The HRs run better with the large HDD installed internally.  I have had zero problems with my internal 2TB drives in the last two years.  During that time, I've had many problems with the externals.  Ranging from HDDs failing to housekeepers disconnecting them or knocking them over. Things like that.  Nothing thunderously catastrophic, just an ongoing PITA.  

I realize that people with Genies have little chance of owning one without paying too much, so they must resort to the externals, but I still see no need, personally, for one and, unless something drastic happens, I won't be getting one.  Because of the hassles of an external and the lack of support for our wishes about allowing us to swap HDDs between HRs within an account, I'm don't see myself getting a Genie.  

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2842 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,268 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:01 AM

Hasan, I'm glad the new setup worked.  Forgot to mention that.

Rich

#2843 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:27 AM

Those EURS drives have been mildly problematic for some time.  The initial setup you had should have worked.  I dunno for sure why it didn't work.  I'm down to one 24-100 with an external drive and when something happens to that setup, I'll be done with externals.  Well, maybe I shouldn't be so quick to say that.  I do have one 24-200 that I've never tried to put a bigger internal drive in because of the size of the HDD sled.  If I get the urge, I'm gonna try the wire tie thing with that one and see how it works.  Might have to put an external on that one.  But that's a special case.

Put bluntly, I'm sick of external drives.  I own ten HRs and that's two more than I really need.  I know this:  The HRs run better with the large HDD installed internally.  I have had zero problems with my internal 2TB drives in the last two years.  During that time, I've had many problems with the externals.  Ranging from HDDs failing to housekeepers disconnecting them or knocking them over. Things like that.  Nothing thunderously catastrophic, just an ongoing PITA.  

I realize that people with Genies have little chance of owning one without paying too much, so they must resort to the externals, but I still see no need, personally, for one and, unless something drastic happens, I won't be getting one.  Because of the hassles of an external and the lack of support for our wishes about allowing us to swap HDDs between HRs within an account, I'm don't see myself getting a Genie.  

Rich

Very interesting read, Rich! the WD20EVDS that I've had for four years (on an HR21-200 during that time), and now on the new HR24-200, is still running in the BlacX TT Dock you recommended all that time ago. When that drive goes, I'll probably get one of the ones I just bought, WD20EURX and drop it in the dock. The HR24-200 has over 20 series links, about 15 movies and several seasons of HD-VOD series like Boardwalk Empire, Deadwood, Newsroom, etc.It is still about 85% free. 

The new drive, WD20EURX and enclosure TT Max 5 went together very, very easily. I'm a mechanical moron and even I could see what to do. I love the enclosure. It doesn't look like it would take a bunch of rough handling, but it protects the drive much better and cools it much better than the TT Dock. I'd have no problem sticking with this combo as my "goto" setup. Mounting the drive into the enclosure couldn't be simpler, very clean, and getting the enclosure case open is just removing two hex screws (for which they give you the screwdriver). The two large fans run very, very quietly. I had to put my hand in front of them to see if they were working. The blue fan lights are "cool" (but I have them turned off), and the front power/activity light is not overly bright, but I like seeing it blink a bit. Unlike the dock which goes orange for activity, the enclosure stays all blue and just blinks a bit.

I don't see how anyone with our recording habits could live with a Genie and a 1 TB drive...not and make use of the five tuners. After all, if you have that many, you need to keep them busy! 

I have no doubt that the larger drives internal work better than external. I've had the same worry about my TT Dock/Drive....had to yell at someone the other day to stay away from the back of the HT setup. No cleaning, no dusting, no nuthin', STAY AWAY. You would love my equipment rack, now, Rich. I have a 15 dBi gain yagi mounted to the side rail pointing down the hall to the far end of the house to integrate the HR24-200 that is on its own dish. Then again, I think all antennas are things of beauty.

Thanks again for your comments, most enjoyable and informative.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#2844 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,268 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

Very interesting read, Rich! the WD20EVDS that I've had for four years (on an HR21-200 during that time), and now on the new HR24-200, is still running in the BlacX TT Dock you recommended all that time ago. When that drive goes, I'll probably get one of the ones I just bought, WD20EURX and drop it in the dock. The HR24-200 has over 20 series links, about 15 movies and several seasons of HD-VOD series like Boardwalk Empire, Deadwood, Newsroom, etc.It is still about 85% free. 

The new drive, WD20EURX and enclosure TT Max 5 went together very, very easily. I'm a mechanical moron and even I could see what to do. I love the enclosure. It doesn't look like it would take a bunch of rough handling, but it protects the drive much better and cools it much better than the TT Dock. I'd have no problem sticking with this combo as my "goto" setup. Mounting the drive into the enclosure couldn't be simpler, very clean, and getting the enclosure case open is just removing two hex screws (for which they give you the screwdriver). The two large fans run very, very quietly. I had to put my hand in front of them to see if they were working. The blue fan lights are "cool" (but I have them turned off), and the front power/activity light is not overly bright, but I like seeing it blink a bit. Unlike the dock which goes orange for activity, the enclosure stays all blue and just blinks a bit.

I don't see how anyone with our recording habits could live with a Genie and a 1 TB drive...not and make use of the five tuners. After all, if you have that many, you need to keep them busy! 

I have no doubt that the larger drives internal work better than external. I've had the same worry about my TT Dock/Drive....had to yell at someone the other day to stay away from the back of the HT setup. No cleaning, no dusting, no nuthin', STAY AWAY. You would love my equipment rack, now, Rich. I have a 15 dBi gain yagi mounted to the side rail pointing down the hall to the far end of the house to integrate the HR24-200 that is on its own dish. Then again, I think all antennas are things of beauty.

Thanks again for your comments, most enjoyable and informative.

Always a pleasure to hear from you.  Thanx.

Rich

#2845 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,268 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

I've always wanted one of those enclosures that you bought.  Just had too many docks.  I just like the look of the enclosure.

Rich

#2846 OFFLINE   weattv

weattv

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:39 PM

I'd greatly appreciate some info as to whether Thermaltake BlacX eSATA's can go bad.  Could a worn-out BlacX be causing the picture to freeze & the drive to clunk loudly?  Or could the external Seagate FAP in the BlacX be finally gone?  (It's not the DVR, since the HR20-100, attached to the FAP for 6+ years, is now working fine on its own.)  

A few days ago the live picture, and then recordings, began to freeze.  The red & blue lights on the BlacX were normal, but sporadic rumbling was getting much louder.  Today the DVR was completely frozen, until I disconnected the external drive.  All this was just the situation 2+ years ago, until the BlacX for the FAP solved it.

Is there any maintenance or cleaning possible on the BlacX, or should I try a new one?  Any way to diagnose if it's working right?

Meanwhile, DTV was good enough to make us some great incentives for an HR44.  Enjoying our first whole-home experience a lot, but missing that 6-year collection.

Thank you!

#2847 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,754 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:22 AM

the diagnostics must be done for all components of the chain:

- DVR's eSATA conector

- eSATA-eSATA cable

- TT dock's eSATA connector

- BlacX's controller

- BlacX's SATA connector

- the HDD itself.

Last part of the list is doable by using sell-booting CD with MHDD (preferable method) or Victoria (free program for Windows). Get SMART data, run Scan+Remap, then get SMART again; post results here for future discussion.

#2848 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,268 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:11 PM

I'd greatly appreciate some info as to whether Thermaltake BlacX eSATA's can go bad.  Could a worn-out BlacX be causing the picture to freeze & the drive to clunk loudly?  Or could the external Seagate FAP in the BlacX be finally gone?  (It's not the DVR, since the HR20-100, attached to the FAP for 6+ years, is now working fine on its own.)  

A few days ago the live picture, and then recordings, began to freeze.  The red & blue lights on the BlacX were normal, but sporadic rumbling was getting much louder.  Today the DVR was completely frozen, until I disconnected the external drive.  All this was just the situation 2+ years ago, until the BlacX for the FAP solved it.

Is there any maintenance or cleaning possible on the BlacX, or should I try a new one?  Any way to diagnose if it's working right?

Meanwhile, DTV was good enough to make us some great incentives for an HR44.  Enjoying our first whole-home experience a lot, but missing that 6-year collection.

Thank you!

The external devices are usually the weakest link in the chain.  But if you're still using an HDD from an FAP, I'd be looking at that HDD, they don't last forever.  Easiest thing to do is buy another TT dock and try it.  Never hurts to have an extra dock around just for cases such as this.

Rich 

#2849 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:08 PM

Thank you!

I agree with Rich.  If you're still using a drive out of a FAP then you most likely have a dying drive on your hands.   Watch what you can in a hurry and then replace the drive.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2850 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:09 PM

the diagnostics must be done for all components of the chain:

- DVR's eSATA conector

- eSATA-eSATA cable

- TT dock's eSATA connector

- BlacX's controller

- BlacX's SATA connector

- the HDD itself.

Last part of the list is doable by using sell-booting CD with MHDD (preferable method) or Victoria (free program for Windows). Get SMART data, run Scan+Remap, then get SMART again; post results here for future discussion.

Waste of time and effort.... 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2851 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,754 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:14 PM

don't waste your time to read my posts and do reply

Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi

#2852 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:31 AM

don't waste your time to read my posts and do reply

Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovia

no reason to start be rude again.....and again, and again.....

#2853 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,754 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

no reason to start be rude again.....and again, and again.....

take reading of post#2850, how polite it ... n'est-ce pas ? telling you - discussing posters is violation of site's rules

Edited by P Smith, 07 March 2014 - 09:52 AM.

#2854 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,268 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

I agree with Rich.  If you're still using a drive out of a FAP then you most likely have a dying drive on your hands.   Watch what you can in a hurry and then replace the drive.

You gotta admit he got his money's worth out of the HDD in that FAP.  I got rid of all of my FAPs years ago.  

Rich

#2855 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,268 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:42 PM

take reading of post#2850, how polite it ... n'est-ce pas ? telling you - discussing posters is violation of site's rules

Deep breaths, Pete, deep breaths.

Rich

#2856 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,754 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

Deep breaths, Pete, deep breaths.

Rich

I do, I do ... just a natural response to barking dog behind a fence when you passing by and talking to other person :)

#2857 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:38 PM

You gotta admit he got his money's worth out of the HDD in that FAP.  I got rid of all of my FAPs years ago.  

Rich

Most definitely!

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2858 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:59 AM

So hypothetical question. If your internal drive died, is it possible at that point to power down the DVR, install an external and bring the system back online?

Is the HR20 limited size wise for external drives? 

#2859 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,268 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:30 AM

So hypothetical question. If your internal drive died, is it possible at that point to power down the DVR, install an external and bring the system back online?

Is the HR20 limited size wise for external drives? 

Yup, you sure can save that 20 by doing just that.  An even easier way to do it is to put an external drive on it.  The size is limited to 2TBs, but that should be plenty.  You'll get about 500 hours of recording if you were to fill up the 2TB drive.  But you don't want to do that with a 20, you want to keep the HDD at about half full to three quarters full (doesn't matter what size drive you have) or you will start to have problems.

Rich

#2860 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:55 AM

Yup, you sure can save that 20 by doing just that.  An even easier way to do it is to put an external drive on it.  The size is limited to 2TBs, but that should be plenty.  You'll get about 500 hours of recording if you were to fill up the 2TB drive.  But you don't want to do that with a 20, you want to keep the HDD at about half full to three quarters full (doesn't matter what size drive you have) or you will start to have problems.

Rich

Thanks Rich, I see the TT docks are a favorite, are there any non raid e-sata enclosures that make the grade? 

spam firewall