Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
3013 replies to this topic

#3001 OFFLINE   drh

drh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:56 AM

At the risk of irritating the forum gods, I will cross post this question here, as many of you did not see it where in it's own thread.

Anyone try a wd black enterprise series drive, perhaps a wd2000fyyz in a raid 1 configuration in a sans digital mr2ut+ esata enclosure?
I presently have two mr2ut enclosures 1 with 2 wd red 3 tb efrx drives in raid1. Am now getting lots of delays from the Hr34 series dvr. Drives now running about 50% full. Wd says raid should use enterprise spec drives because of error correction circuit in lesser series drives cause delays. Was thinking that this may be the reason I am experiencing occasional delays.

Question 2: not having swapped out any drives in the mr2ut enclosures, with success, what is the procedure to retain the current programming? I think the enclosures are "hot swappable" and that I just take one drive out, while the system is up and running, and put in a new drive. Wait for it to populate and replace the second original drive the same way. Is this correct? The last time I tried replacing a suspecious drive with a new one, I ended up loosing everything. But I did power down the system before I swapped out one drive.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#3002 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,574 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:00 AM

Time for RunnerFL to pop up with the correct answer.

Rich 

#3003 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,843 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:24 AM

At the risk of irritating the forum gods, I will cross post this question here, as many of you did not see it where in it's own thread.

Anyone try a wd black enterprise series drive, perhaps a wd2000fyyz in a raid 1 configuration in a sans digital mr2ut+ esata enclosure?
I presently have two mr2ut enclosures 1 with 2 wd red 3 tb efrx drives in raid1. Am now getting lots of delays from the Hr34 series dvr. Drives now running about 50% full. Wd says raid should use enterprise spec drives because of error correction circuit in lesser series drives cause delays. Was thinking that this may be the reason I am experiencing occasional delays.

Question 2: not having swapped out any drives in the mr2ut enclosures, with success, what is the procedure to retain the current programming? I think the enclosures are "hot swappable" and that I just take one drive out, while the system is up and running, and put in a new drive. Wait for it to populate and replace the second original drive the same way. Is this correct? The last time I tried replacing a suspecious drive with a new one, I ended up loosing everything. But I did power down the system before I swapped out one drive.

to q#1: all the new variants of RAID enclosures and drives will never would be covered - you are a pioneer and on your own; I would test your RAID on PC, measures by IOmeter throughput, test recovery, etc

to q#2: if internal RAID controller is working, then it wouldn't be matter when you replace failed HDD or imitating the problem, same for powering off/on

Edited by P Smith, 05 September 2014 - 11:25 AM.

#3004 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,574 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:27 AM

Next?

Rich

#3005 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:32 AM

Time for RunnerFL to pop up with the correct answer.

Rich 

I already answered in his other thread.  :)

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3006 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,574 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:41 AM

I already answered in his other thread.  :)

Ah, no disputes with Mr. Smith?  Not that I'm trying to stir the pot or anything like that.... :rolling:

Rich

#3007 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,843 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:49 AM

yeah, yeah ... :)

#3008 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,574 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:00 PM

yeah, yeah ... :)

Well, I know how tight the two of you are....

Rich

#3009 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,843 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:12 PM

my time in server rooms is in a past ...

#3010 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:27 PM

my time in server rooms is in a past ...

Same here, I just run them now.  I have people that actually go into them for me.

• Rich likes this
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3011 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,843 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:44 PM

I'm glad I don't need to go inside and do not manage those ppl ... my life is much better when I'm on my own schedule and tasks !

#3012 OFFLINE   illinileo

illinileo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:55 PM

Finally upgrading this week from our HR20-700. I have been using an ESATA for several years (MX-1 and a WD green) with no issues. I've read through several pages of this thread and have a few questions about what to use for the ESATA on the HR44

1. Drives: I've read posts about each of these drives: WD Green WD30EZRX (NOT UERS), WD Purple WD30PURX, and WD Red/Red Pro WD3001FFSX/WD30EFRX. Which of these is the most recommended?

2. Enclosure:  Antec MX-1 or the Thermaltake Max5

Thanks!

Edited by illinileo, 07 September 2014 - 03:58 PM.

#3013 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 623 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:14 PM

Finally upgrading this week from our HR20-700. I have been using an ESATA for several years (MX-1 and a WD green) with no issues. I've read through several pages of this thread and have a few questions about what to use for the ESATA on the HR44

1. Drives: I've read posts about each of these drives: WD Green WD30EZRX (NOT UERS), WD Purple WD30PURX, and WD Red/Red Pro WD3001FFSX/WD30EFRX. Which of these is the most recommended?

2. Enclosure:  Antec MX-1 or the Thermaltake Max5

Thanks!

I can't tell you "best" but I just hooked up a WD Purple, 3T, with the Thermaltake Max5, with the HR44, and it works great and took about two minutes to connect it and get it running (once I initialized the drive on my PC.)

#3014 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,113 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:58 PM

Im using a red drive from wd 4tb and its been great so far

Protected By... spam firewall...And...