Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
3054 replies to this topic

#3041 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,868 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:47 AM

Not until it happens to you.  There are thousands of hard drives failures every day

Awesome, Dude!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#3042 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,868 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:49 AM

I think Rich meant that once you have a decent drive and it has a good environment, it will run a long time. I've had 7 machines running (not DVRs) for at least 8 years. In all that time, I have replaced 3 hard drives. All the rest are still running or were last year, when I upgraded all my machines to Win7 and/or Linux Ubuntu. More than half of those machines run 24/7, and all are on UPS's. As far as DVRs go, I've had two drives fail from 3 machines since 2007. I would consider two failures in 7 years of 24/7 operation to be "not a frequent thing", and I think that is what Rich was saying. If so, he is right, or the two of us have just been lucky.

Drives are certain to fail, just not that often...in fact, read the MTBF specs...they last a long time when properly cared for.

One thing I've never been is lucky.  Aside from that, good post!  

Rich

#3043 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,868 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:52 AM

Yes, I'm thinking I see about 4 years of useful service on most drives that are on 24/7 and a few have lasted 6 going on 7. Now that I have a bit by bit drive duplicator dock, I plan on changing out drives at about 3 years to avoid problems. Hopefully, I'll get that out of the enclosures. I already have 4 years on the BlacX dock...it's been on an HR20-700 and now the HR24-200. The HR44-700 has the Max5 enclosure on it, and that just since last February.

BTW, going on 5 days since I did a CLEARMYBOX on the stuttering playback (video and audio) HR44-700. I think it's safe to say that it was the box (firmware/memory leak or some such). If it were a failing drive, it would have shown back up by now, I would think. Here's hoping! :joy:

Being the pessimist that I am, I wouldn't be surprised to see it surface again.  For your sake I hope it doesn't, but if it was my equipment I know it would.  

Rich 

#3044 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,868 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:02 AM

So, what happens when the power goes out and the UPS dies (yes I have a UPS on each DVR and 1 that covers the SWiM, internet modem and router).  

When power comes back on, what makes the DVR see the External drive instead of the internal since the external and dvr turns on at the same time? Or do you have to manually turn on the external, wait for it to spin up and then turn on the DVR?

Secondly, I see that the Max5 enclosure and the TT Dock are being recommended but I also see that the switches go bad in the docks.  Is this because users turn them on and off?  If one was to stay on 24/7 which would be best - enclosure or dock?

In my case, the UPS devices only come on for a second or so if the power goes out.  I have a whole home generator that runs on natural gas.  

When the power comes back on in an ordinary home, the HR and external device should connect properly.  Should.  You still have to check them.

I know the on/off switches on the TT docks will fail if used a lot.  In most cases.  So I never touch them once I have them running.  I just pull the cord on them.  

Rich

#3045 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,868 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:05 AM

That's my thinking also, and  shared the same thoughts 2-3 years ago on this board... to much debate.   My thinking is that DVR usage with he constant recording of the current channel places a lot more wear & tear on the drive compared to regular desktop PC use.   At about the 3 year mark, I'll swap out the drives on the DVR's next week.  This week I swapped out the drives on my PC, which were date marked by WD 2010.  HDDs have moving parts, servos, motors, bearings, etc.  Those parts will fail.  Maybe 3 years, maybe 10 years.  I only know one thing.... it never happens at a good time.

That's why I have so many HRs.  I don't archive any content, but I do back up shows several times on various HRs.  If an HR or a hard drive go, I haven't really lost anything.

Rich

#3046 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,868 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:11 AM

Yes, Rich, but in your case that's 3 drives out of how many boxes? For me, since I had one failure in 4 years, I figure that is long enough and to be safe, do a replacement every 3 three years on these boxes (external drive). 

Since our sample size is so very small, I wouldn't make any generalizations, to be sure! My Acer laptop drive failed in 45 days! The drive I replaced it with at the recommendation of my local PC guru, has been running flawlessly for 2 or 3 years. (and has Smart technology to warn me, as well).

At first, with these boxes, it was find a drive and enclosure/dock that worked at all. Then it was endurance, now it may be some sort of subtle compatibility issue that doesn't show its head right away. 

It's never easy.

That's why I like owning my HRs and putting large internals in them.  I can't remember the last time an internally installed large HDD died on me.  I know it was a Seagate Barracuda, 1TB, in a 20-700, but I really don't remember how long ago that was.  I know it was quite a while ago.  With my setup, it's pretty simple to just wait until something fails to replace it.  If I just had 3 or 4 HRs I'd take a different approach.

Rich

#3047 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,868 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:14 AM

Thanks!  Now to decide on 2, 3 or 4 TB  :)

Try to imagine how much content you're really gonna put on one unit and then make sure you buy an HDD that will accommodate that much and buy an HDD that will allow you to run at about 3 quarters full.  

Rich

#3048 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:03 PM

In my case, the UPS devices only come on for a second or so if the power goes out.  I have a whole home generator that runs on natural gas.  

I would LOVE to have one of those generators or run 100% solar.  Better yet, 125% solar so I can backfeed that 25% and make the power company pay me.  :)

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3049 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:05 PM

Try to imagine how much content you're really gonna put on one unit and then make sure you buy an HDD that will accommodate that much and buy an HDD that will allow you to run at about 3 quarters full.  

Rich

These days I always go with something that gives me 1TB more than I need. 

• Rich likes this
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3050 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:53 PM

These days I always go with something that gives me 1TB more than I need. 

Yep. I have never, for my computer or DVRs, looked back and said "Man, I wish I had purchased a smaller drive!" ;)

• Rich and Laxguy like this

#3051 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,868 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:00 AM

I would LOVE to have one of those generators or run 100% solar.  Better yet, 125% solar so I can backfeed that 25% and make the power company pay me.  :)

I looked into solar panels for my roof.  Six years to see any monetary gains.  I declined.  

About the natural gas gennies:  They've dropped dramatically in price since I had mine installed.  I was at a place the other day that had a bunch of 14KW gennies (that's what I have) and they were selling them, installed, for $6900.  I paid $8400 for mine and, at the time, that was half the price other companies wanted for them.  Now that Sandy is only a memory for anyone not living in NJ or NY, the demand has diminished and the prices have dropped.  

Gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling each Wednesday when the gennie kicks on for ~ 15 minutes.  My wife really wanted it, too.

Rich

#3052 OFFLINE   lenbo

lenbo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:40 PM

got a new WDpurple 2tb and blacX today to go with my new hr44-700. How do I"activate"the hard drive ? With my PC ? Thanks

#3053 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 577 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:01 PM

got a new WDpurple 2tb and blacX today to go with my new hr44-700. How do I"activate"the hard drive ? With my PC ? Thanks

Just connect it to your DVR.  Up to 2tb disks don't need to be connected to a PC to be initialized, only 3tb and larger.

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x08ca AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x08ca AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x08c2
DirecTV since 1997

#3054 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,877 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:40 PM

How did you make out? My experience is the same as bpratt, up to 2 TB will autoformat just fine with the HR44-700 (which is what I have). I'm using the Max5 enclosure and a different drive that is  months old. I'm thinking of ordering one of the purple 2 TB like you got as a spare, with another Max5. That way I can take the older one and put it on a computer, and use the new one on the HR44-700. I'll clone the drive first, so I won't lose any programming.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#3055 OFFLINE   nsolot

nsolot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:23 PM

Quick report on my upgrade to WD 2TB Purple Drives and TT Max 5 enclosures.  All systems are happy, and the Max 5 I think is a better solution than the old TT bay, with no fan or dust protection.  Sure looks nicer.

The Sabrent dual bay clone device worked great, once I figured out how to use it.  The instruction booklet is terrible.  The trick is to press and hold the "copy" button immediately after you power up the drive. This old-timer is accustomed to allowing drives 10-15 seconds to power up and get up to speed before attempting tasks.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...