Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
3157 replies to this topic

#3141 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:19 AM

If your Mac is Intel based model, try to boot from cd or dvd Linux distro, there is good chance it will allow you make the copy if the model would have two SATA ports or you can add a card with the ports.

As inkahauts suggested in post 3130, this is a topic for a different existing thread (that the forum search feature didn't help me to locate) and has no place in an ostensibly hardware-oriented thread.

http://www.dbstalk.c...nal-hard-drive/

:backtotop

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#3142 OFFLINE   HofstraJet

HofstraJet

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts
  • LocationCoral Springs, FL

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:33 AM

He's right.  Cloning will give you an exact copy of the original drive, including size.  If you cloned a 1TB drive to a 2TB drive you'd only have 1TB usable.

Understood about the size - my post was unclear as that wasn't the point I was debating. inkhauts states that cloning will not work at all, but you and peds48 state that cloning will work. But as you astutely noted, this is a topic for the other thread.  :righton:

Edited by HofstraJet, 07 December 2014 - 10:33 AM.

#3143 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,351 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:45 AM

Thank you all. 

I have reposted a summation here, in the suggested thread. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3144 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:37 AM

Thanks, but it's not clear from the above that I will retain and be able to access recordings by moving the internal to an external position. (Of course on same box. I am very clear that there's no chance I can access anything on a different IRD.)

I didn't add that for you, I know you know that.  Yes you can use any HDD recorded on the HR that did the recording.  And you will see and be able to play the content.  

Rich

#3145 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:38 AM

Yes you can but why on earth would you? Seriously curios why it's even a thought?

I've done it because the removed drive had content on it that I wanted to see.  Used a TT dock and just stuck the old HDD in it and got caught up quickly.  

Rich

#3146 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:41 AM

How will you boot into the external if the internal is still in place?  Won't the DVR boot to it first?  Why not copy the programs from the internal to the external before installing it into the DVR?

Actually, you need an internal drive to use an external drive.  There was a time that you could take the internal out and just boot up on the external device, but D* did something to the software and I don't think you can do that anymore.

Rich

#3147 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:44 AM

Actually, you need an internal drive to use an external drive.  There was a time that you could take the internal out and just boot up on the external device, but D* did something to the software and I don't think you can do that anymore.

Rich

I don't have an internal on my HR44, external alone works just fine.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3148 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:46 AM

Apparently not, but I have never had occasion to use an external till now. I am pretty sure I've read that getting it to boot off the external is automatic, just have to make sure it's spun up when you reboot. 

Copying would be good, but I have only Macs and am under the impression I need Windows or Linux to do so. If I could use Terminal or an app, that'd be very handy. 

What you're doing makes sense, to me.  Here's how to do it (not just for you, but anyone else who's interested):

Connect the eSATA to eSATA jumper cable to the HR and the external device and never touch it again.

Plug in the external device with the HDD in it and wait a bit.  30 seconds is usually plenty of time for the external drive to spin up.

Plug in the HR and it should boot up on the external drive.  It's really that simple.

If it doesn't work, PM me.

Rich

#3149 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:49 AM

Wait, where can I find this documented slow remote issue?  Is that standard with the external drive?  

I think that was in a previous post in this thread, a recent post.  No, you should see no difference in remote commands using an external.  

Rich

#3150 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:56 AM

I don't have an internal on my HR44, external alone works just fine.

I'm pretty sure it won't work on the two tuner sets.  I don't have any need for a Genie, so I just know what I read about them.  I'm kinda surprised that they took away that ability on the two tuner units but left it alone on the Genies.  Or maybe it works again on the two tuner sets.  

Rich

#3151 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,351 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 12:20 PM

Thank you, Rich. I think we should continue in the thread I referenced just above. 

#3152 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 01:31 PM

I'm pretty sure it won't work on the two tuner sets.  I don't have any need for a Genie, so I just know what I read about them.  I'm kinda surprised that they took away that ability on the two tuner units but left it alone on the Genies.  Or maybe it works again on the two tuner sets.  

Rich

I tried to boot with only an Xternal a couple of days ago on my HR21. No go..

#3153 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,351 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:22 AM

Got my 2 TB drive and now I can't find the power cord to the Thermaltake dock. Their website doesn't specify the amperage- it's a 12v. External, and the input isn't stickers. Tried a 1 amp one I had lying around, but it didn't show up on my computer, so I don't know if the wrong wall wart is the problem or something else. At least no smoke was apparent and the drive spun up, but didn't mount. If someone could post what the specs are for the power supply, I would be grateful.

#3154 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:24 AM

My BlacX is a 12v-2a.  Part# CS-1202000.

#3155 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,351 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:26 AM

Ah, thank you very much. That will narrow the search down a lot. I've saved wall warts over the years, and must have fifty or so. Time to weed them; at least the Nokia and Motorola ones can go!

#3156 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:28 PM

Ah, thank you very much. That will narrow the search down a lot. I've saved wall warts over the years, and must have fifty or so. Time to weed them; at least the Nokia and Motorola ones can go!

Now, wouldn't you think everybody should have to label their wall warts as Roku kindly does?  I have so many of the damn things in a bin that I know I'll never use, but I also know, with my luck, I could throw them all out and need one the next day.     :nono2:

Frustrating, isn't it?

Rich

#3157 OFFLINE   juniormaj

juniormaj

Legend

• Registered
  • 540 posts
  • LocationNewbury Park, CA

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:33 PM

Now, wouldn't you think everybody should have to label their wall warts as Roku kindly does?  I have so many of the damn things in a bin that I know I'll never use, but I also know, with my luck, I could throw them all out and need one the next day.     :nono2:

Frustrating, isn't it?

Rich

I've tried to get in the habit of labeling them as I get them, but yeah, it would be nice if they shipped that way.

-Jr.
DirecTV since 1994

#3158 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,351 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:27 PM

Excelsior! Found it, and it even matches the picture on their website. (which gives no freakin' specs!). It was on a Netgear router I set up recently, and so when I went to replace it with a wall wart that was labelled Netgear, it didn't work. It was one amp. So , I found another two amp wall wart for the Netgear, and, crossing fingers, I am back in business. 

I try not to over power or underpowered my devices, and so fingers are really crossed on the Netgear 3400. 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...