Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
2856 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   bearklaws

bearklaws

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:42 AM

Does anyone know the format of the recomended drives? fat 32 or ntsf ?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:56 AM

Drives don't typically come pre-formatted, your OS needs to handle that. When you connect it to the DVR and turn it back on, the DVR takes care of all the hard drive prep for you.

#23 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:58 AM

Like mentioned, the DVR will format the drive for you automatically. Just plug it in and the receiver does the rest.
HR34-700, HR24-500, HR22-100, HR20-100, R22-100, R16

My Setup

Diagram of my Directv setup by Milkman

#24 OFFLINE   bearklaws

bearklaws

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:01 AM

I did a little reading and seen mixed reviews with the FAP 1TB... I did try it with the HR-22 100 and it went strait through a boot up with out seeing the new drive at all. so i tried it again and it would get stuck and need to reboot 3 times, so it is a no go... The hard drive i had from before and it was formated to fat 32, so i quick format to ntsf.

Thanks

#25 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:32 AM

I did a little reading and seen mixed reviews with the FAP 1TB... I did try it with the HR-22 100 and it went strait through a boot up with out seeing the new drive at all. so i tried it again and it would get stuck and need to reboot 3 times, so it is a no go... The hard drive i had from before and it was formated to fat 32, so i quick format to ntsf.

Thanks

The FAPs do not work with the 21s, that includes the 22s and 23s. They do work very well with the 20-700s.

Rich

#26 OFFLINE   bearklaws

bearklaws

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:47 AM

The FAPs do not work with the 21s, that includes the 22s and 23s. They do work very well with the 20-700s.

Rich

I am one of those people that need to try for them self...I was not let down when it did not work,Thanks to all the info in here... and this is a good place for info...Every time i have had a problem for the last couple of years, I have came here....:):)

Thanks

#27 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:07 AM

For the record the the HR's use the xfs file system. Your issue is FAP's do not work with that model as rich84 said. I highly recommend returning that piece of ^%(* and getting an MX-1 and a WD Green model. These seem to work no matter which HR2x you have.

#28 OFFLINE   bearklaws

bearklaws

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:39 AM

For the record the the HR's use the xfs file system. Your issue is FAP's do not work with that model as rich84 said. I highly recommend returning that piece of ^%(* and getting an MX-1 and a WD Green model. These seem to work no matter which HR2x you have.

As I said before, I did some reading, knew about the problems...
I did not make myself clear...That was a hard drive i had for about 6 months... Why not try to see if it would work...

Thank's for letting me know the file system....

Edited by bearklaws, 10 July 2009 - 09:44 AM.
thanks

#29 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:33 AM

I am one of those people that need to try for them self...I was not let down when it did not work,Thanks to all the info in here... and this is a good place for info...Every time i have had a problem for the last couple of years, I have came here....:):)

Thanks

Yeah, I did the same thing. I was positive I could get an FAP to work with a 21 and it did at first. I actually got it to record one program, but I went to the guide and pushed the record button on something and it did record it, but that was it. Nothing else would record.

Rich

#30 OFFLINE   bearklaws

bearklaws

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:46 PM

Just wanted to add. Tried all formats to try to get it to recognize the hard drive with no luck... Never hurts to try...

Thank you for all the help:):)

#31 OFFLINE   Villager

Villager

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:01 PM

I reported in another thread-- not sure which one-- that I have a Seagate Baracuda 1.5 TB mounted in the Antec MX-1 which does record when connected to the HR21/100 BUT on almost every reboot the external drive (the eSATA drive) is reformatted on the bootup which renders it useless. Just to doublecheck on this, I reinstalled it last night and it recorded the programming that I wanted, and tonight I watched the programming. All was well until I forced a reboot on the system and the eSATA drive was once again reformatted erasing all the settings and programming.

There are many reports that FAP's will not work with the HR21/100. What will work?

Edited by Villager, 10 July 2009 - 11:02 PM.
Correct typo

#32 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:51 PM

There are many reports that FAP's will not work with the HR21/100. What will work?

The first post points to the ones that DIRECTV recommends.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#33 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:40 AM

I reported in another thread-- not sure which one-- that I have a Seagate Baracuda 1.5 TB mounted in the Antec MX-1 which does record when connected to the HR21/100 BUT on almost every reboot the external drive (the eSATA drive) is reformatted on the bootup which renders it useless. Just to doublecheck on this, I reinstalled it last night and it recorded the programming that I wanted, and tonight I watched the programming. All was well until I forced a reboot on the system and the eSATA drive was once again reformatted erasing all the settings and programming.

Have another HR? If you do, try the Antec on that. If it works on one, it should work on the other. That leaves the 21-100 as the problem. I do know that the Antec MX-1 will work with 21-700s, I have two 21-700s with 1TB Seagate Cuda drives in the MX-1 enclosures and they work perfectly. Seems as if the 100 series of HRs has this problem, especially the 22s.

Not many people report problems with the Antec enclosure. I would suspect the 21-100.

The FAPs definitely do not work with the 21s. The Seagate Xtreme is kinda iffy on the 21s. Both work very well on the 20-700s. I have never tried a My Book eSATA on a 21, but I do know that they do not work on the 20-700s. I have seen posts that stated that the poster had My Books working on 21s. A Cavalry eSATA will also work on the 21s, I've had one on a 21-700 for well over a year without any problems.

The few 100s that I've gotten as replacements and been able to activate would not work with any eSATAs, not even the Cavs.

Rich

#34 OFFLINE   Villager

Villager

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:00 PM

I have an HR-20/700 at another location and I plan to recheck the Seagate 1.5TB/MX-1 combo on that unit sometime next week. I expect it to work just fine. I also have a WD 500GB in a non-descript enclosure (actually an Eagle, if I remember correctly) which has not worked on the HR21-100 but does work on the HR20-700. Summarizing, I have 3 eSATA drives (a 500, a 750 FAP and a 1.5) and two enclosures. It seems that no matter how I mix/match, all work with the HR20-700 and none correctly work on the HR21-100. So, I come to the conclusion that there is an issue with the HR21-100. Unfortunately, I do not have either of the two specific units that DirecTV reports to be compatible with this particular DVR unit.

#35 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:55 AM

I have an HR-20/700 at another location and I plan to recheck the Seagate 1.5TB/MX-1 combo on that unit sometime next week. I expect it to work just fine. I also have a WD 500GB in a non-descript enclosure (actually an Eagle, if I remember correctly) which has not worked on the HR21-100 but does work on the HR20-700. Summarizing, I have 3 eSATA drives (a 500, a 750 FAP and a 1.5) and two enclosures. It seems that no matter how I mix/match, all work with the HR20-700 and none correctly work on the HR21-100. So, I come to the conclusion that there is an issue with the HR21-100. Unfortunately, I do not have either of the two specific units that DirecTV reports to be compatible with this particular DVR unit.

The units that D* recommends have only 1TB recording capacity. Seagate has started selling it's 2TB drive, I saw a 2TB Xtreme in BB's flyer today for $269. Haven't seen the bare drive for sale yet. I'd look for the Seagate Showcase series to get larger quickly. Unfortunately they are quite expensive compared to a bare drive and an Antec MX-1 enclosure.

Doesn't surprise me that the 21-100 doesn't work with any of your eSATAs. I won't go any further, ever body knows what I think of the 100 series of HRs. Also doesn't surprise me that the best of the HRs, the 20-700, does work with each of your eSATA setups.

Rich

#36 OFFLINE   Jaytee946

Jaytee946

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:11 PM

I see the Seagate 1TB (model ST31000SCA109-RK) is on Sale on Seagate's website for $164.99, I haven't seen it cheaper anywhere else?

#37 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:50 AM

The units that D* recommends have only 1TB recording capacity. Seagate has started selling it's 2TB drive, I saw a 2TB Xtreme in BB's flyer today for $269. Haven't seen the bare drive for sale yet. I'd look for the Seagate Showcase series to get larger quickly. Unfortunately they are quite expensive compared to a bare drive and an Antec MX-1 enclosure.

Not every HDD works the same .. If you'd check the specs on the ones above, you'd find that they are tuned for better performance with DVRs. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that DIRECTV makes use of features specific to those models.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#38 OFFLINE   DRod

DRod

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:01 AM

The DIRECTV recommendations are all for pre-assembled off-the-shelf eSATA drives, that is, they are drives within enclosures so they just have to be unboxed and then are plug-and-play and would work best for the novice user. DBSTalk has some more advanced users, so there have been recommendations here for parts to-be-assembled as well as off-the-shelf eSATA drives. The whole thing is even though it's still not officially supported, DIRECTV still wants it to be as easy as possible for the users...

Sorry to be so newb...can I assume that eSATA is the underlying characteristic for external hard drive choices? CostCo has a WD MyBook 1TB drive for $129.99.

Funny thing is if you go to Amazon, the WD drive recommended by D* says "My DVR Expander" (link)...unsure if there's anyting special about that.
DERRICH.com
Follow me on Twitter at @Derrich

#39 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:04 AM

Funny thing is if you go to Amazon, the WD drive recommended by D* says "My DVR Expander" (link)...unsure if there's anyting special about that.

Yes, there is something special about that .. the "DVR" part of the name is important. Yes, other drives will work, but it is my understanding that for reliability it should be one of the models listed above.

#40 OFFLINE   DRod

DRod

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:07 AM

Makes sense. Thanks for the prompt reply.

One other scenario...let's say I record some movies onto my external drive. Could I bring that with me on a trip and watch those movies on my laptop?

Edited by DRod, 15 July 2009 - 08:54 AM.

DERRICH.com
Follow me on Twitter at @Derrich

spam firewall