Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
2856 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:24 AM

Makes sense. Thanks for the prompt reply.

One other scenario...let's say I record some movies onto my external drive. Could I bring that with me on a trip and watch those movies on my laptop?

No, whats on that external drive is only viewable while connected to the DVR it was recorded on, you can't even attach it to another HD DVR. The recordings are married to the dvr they were recorded on.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,355 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:36 PM

I see the Seagate 1TB (model ST31000SCA109-RK) is on Sale on Seagate's website for $164.99, I haven't seen it cheaper anywhere else?

If that's a Showcase model that's a good price. Just a bit more than you'd pay for an Antec enclosure and a bare drive. But only a 1TB? They will get larger soon.

Rich

#43 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:55 PM

If that's a Showcase model that's a good price. Just a bit more than you'd pay for an Antec enclosure and a bare drive. But only a 1TB? They will get larger soon.

Rich

DIRECTV doesn't currently recommend drives over 1TB ..
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#44 OFFLINE   wafi

wafi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:45 PM

Doesn't surprise me that the 21-100 doesn't work with any of your eSATAs. I won't go any further, ever body knows what I think of the 100 series of HRs. Also doesn't surprise me that the best of the HRs, the 20-700, does work with each of your eSATA setups.

Rich

Crap so the one HD-DVR that I have turns out to be the worst of all the DirecTV HD-DVRs that came out huh! Just great!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD + Pioneer BDP-320
Sony Bravia KDL-40V4100 + Sony BDP-S300
Samsung LNT3253H + Pioneer BDP-51FD
Sony Wega KV-27FS13 + Pioneer DV-525

#45 OFFLINE   mep916

mep916

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:32 PM

I've a HR21-700. Yesterday, I successfully paired it with a Seagate 1.5TB drive, enclosed in an Antec MX-1. The drive seemed to format and startup correctly, however, there is a bit of an issue when viewing recorded content.

Every few minutes, the video freezes for a brief moment, about a second or two. It'll run fine, then do it again. It's a constant pattern and I've noticed this with every recorded show. The drive is new as well as the enclosure, and I don't suspect any problems with the drive, although I suppose it's possible.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

EDIT: I prolly should've put this in the issues thread. Sorry about that. :o

Edited by mep916, 16 July 2009 - 12:42 PM.

#46 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,355 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:42 PM

I've a HR21-700. Yesterday, I successfully paired it with a Seagate 1.5TB drive, enclosed in an Antec MX-1. The drive seemed to format and startup correctly, however, there is a bit of an issue when viewing recorded content.

Every few minutes, the video freezes for a brief moment, about a second or two. It'll run fine, then do it again. It's a constant pattern and I've noticed this with every recorded show. The drive is new as well as the enclosure, and I don't suspect any problems with the drive, although I suppose it's possible.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

EDIT: I prolly should've put this in the issues thread. Sorry about that. :o

Nah, you're in the right thread. You might have one of the hard drives that Seagate was having a problem with a few months ago. I'd suggest writing down the model number of the drive and calling Seagate tech service. Here's Seagate's number, 1-800-732-4283, it's one of the automated phones, just press the number for tech service. They might be able to fix it over the phone with a software download. Or, they will send you a replacement drive. If you bought it from someplace local, take it back and get another one.

Rich

#47 OFFLINE   mep916

mep916

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:51 PM

Nah, you're in the right thread. You might have one of the hard drives that Seagate was having a problem with a few months ago. I'd suggest writing down the model number of the drive and calling Seagate tech service. Here's Seagate's number, 1-800-732-4283, it's one of the automated phones, just press the number for tech service. They might be able to fix it over the phone with a software download. Or, they will send you a replacement drive. If you bought it from someplace local, take it back and get another one.

Rich

So, I'm assuming this freezing issue is usually related to a faulty hard drive. Perhaps a firmware issue? Thanks for the number. I'll give them a call. I've another 1.5TB drive I'll try out tonight. Same model.

#48 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,355 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:13 AM

So, I'm assuming this freezing issue is usually related to a faulty hard drive. Perhaps a firmware issue? Thanks for the number. I'll give them a call. I've another 1.5TB drive I'll try out tonight. Same model.

I really doubt it is the MX-1 causing the problem. Never seen a post reporting that. I put a Seagate 1.5 in my "owned" 20-700 and it did freeze up a few times, but the problem seemed to heal itself. Doesn't do it anymore. I have five Seagate drives that are on the "problem" list and yet I have had no problems with them, except for the brief problem with freeze ups on the internal drive, so it is not every drive on that list.

I'd still give Seagate a call and see if they can download a fix for you.

To get back to your original question, many things cause freeze ups. I think of freeze ups as something that can be fixed with a click of the remote and lock ups as something that can only be fixed by a reboot. And I never use the red button to reboot. Never.

Anyhow, the freeze ups can be caused by software, bad HDDs, HDMI switches, etc. No way to really answer your question. Same thing with lock ups. The lock ups are a lot more serious. They can be caused by all kinds of things.

I do think your problem is the HDD, but if you still have problems with the other 1.5, it might (probably) be the MX-1.

Rich

#49 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:52 PM

If the HDD is not specifically for DVRs, then it simply may not work the way you expect. All drives are not created equal. Also, since it's 1.5TB, it's definitely not on the list of drives that are recommended by DIRECTV.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#50 OFFLINE   Just Ask

Just Ask

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:46 AM

Seems like the HR-21-100 is a problem child with these external drives and that is the one I have in our main viewing area. Given that, that would be the one I would want to improve the capacity on.

So, just to be sure.....The Seagate St31000sca109-rk 1tb unit listed in post # 1 should work with the HR21-100, right? Has anyone actually installed the 1 TB unit with the HR21-100?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Just Ask, 19 July 2009 - 03:03 PM.

HR24-200 AM21 Networked Den
HR21-100 DECA Master Bedroom
HR20-700 DECA Theater
HR20-100 DECA Kitchen
R22-200 DECA Bedroom 1
R22-100 DECA Bedroom 2
R22-200 DECA Exercise Room
16 Port SWiM

#51 OFFLINE   MIMOTech

MIMOTech

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:05 PM

You should also note in your sticky that this new external drive replaces the internal one and is the only drive (intrnal and external do not add up for expaned capacity) the DVR will use. Also that the data on the internal drive is not lost and can be played if the external drive eSATA plug is pulled and the DVR rebooted.

#52 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:26 AM

You should also note in your sticky that this new external drive replaces the internal one and is the only drive (intrnal and external do not add up for expaned capacity) the DVR will use. Also that the data on the internal drive is not lost and can be played if the external drive eSATA plug is pulled and the DVR rebooted.

By that token, it should also be noted that when installing an eSATA drive for the first time, Series Links need to be recreated. Users should therefore document their series links stored on the internal drive before adding the eSATA drive that first time.

#53 OFFLINE   Jaytee946

Jaytee946

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:35 PM

I installed the Seagate 1TB drive, and the first thing I noticed was the increase of speed of my DVR (21-700). It had been slow changing channels, showing the guide, etc. since the 0x312 upgrade and when using the keypad the numbers would be so slow inputting to the DVR it would cause the wrong channel to appear, but that all disappeared after the external drive install.
Any thoughts on why?

#54 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:08 PM

By that token, it should also be noted that when installing an eSATA drive for the first time, Series Links need to be recreated. Users should therefore document their series links stored on the internal drive before adding the eSATA drive that first time.

You guys are doing a good job of noting that .. I was simply pointing out that DIRECTV now has a list of Drives that can be used.

#55 OFFLINE   Just Ask

Just Ask

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:15 PM

You guys are doing a good job of noting that .. I was simply pointing out that DIRECTV now has a list of Drives that can be used.

So noted :lol:
HR24-200 AM21 Networked Den
HR21-100 DECA Master Bedroom
HR20-700 DECA Theater
HR20-100 DECA Kitchen
R22-200 DECA Bedroom 1
R22-100 DECA Bedroom 2
R22-200 DECA Exercise Room
16 Port SWiM

#56 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,355 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:25 PM

Seems like the HR-21-100 is a problem child with these external drives and that is the one I have in our main viewing area. Given that, that would be the one I would want to improve the capacity on.

So, just to be sure.....The Seagate St31000sca109-rk 1tb unit listed in post # 1 should work with the HR21-100, right? Has anyone actually installed the 1 TB unit with the HR21-100?

Thanks in advance!

You'll notice that Seagate only recommends the Showcase models for HRs built by Pace. Your's isn't. Only those HRs that end in 700 are built by Pace. I spent quite a while talking to folks at Seagate this week and you'd be amazed at what they don't know about D* HRs.

Another thing to consider is that eSATAs bog down an HR when they get to about the 30% level. Buying a larger eSATA allows you to bypass that for a longer period. The Showcases will come out with larger HDDs in them. Then we'll be told that D* recommends those larger HDDs.

Nobody I talked to at Seagate knew anything about partnering with D* to make the Showcase series.

Rich

#57 OFFLINE   bhanks

bhanks

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:37 PM

Well I drove 65 miles one way yesterday to get me one of them
eSATA xternal hard drives. I couldn't find any of the recommended
model numbers. I ended up buying a Western Digital "My Book Home
Edition" eSATA model-number WD10000H1CS, which the Best Buy clerk assured me
the numbers I was looking for were old stuff and this latest unit should work.
I have spent most of the day trying to get it work and my HR20-700 will not recognize it.

Anyone know if this should work and I am doing something wrong?
Would appreciate any advise....I sure hate to drive 120 miles to
return this unit.

thanks,

Bill H

Edited by bhanks, 23 July 2009 - 01:52 PM.

#58 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:12 PM

My Books are not supported...the WD solution is called the my dvr extender. its so much less hassle to order a bare bones WD 1-2TB green drive, and put it in an ANTEC MX-1. this combo works with all current HR2x models....

#59 OFFLINE   bhanks

bhanks

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:15 PM

My Books are not supported...the WD solution is called the my dvr extender. its so much less hassle to order a bare bones WD 1-2TB green drive, and put it in an ANTEC MX-1. this combo works with all current HR2x models....

thanks,CC. sounds like another wasted trip for me :)

#60 OFFLINE   bhanks

bhanks

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:48 PM

thanks,CC. sounds like another wasted trip for me :)

Correction! I may keep it, it worked on my HR22-100 on the first try.
Only problem, its in the wrong location....decisions, decisions....

spam firewall