Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
3054 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   TigerDriver

TigerDriver

Electronics Engineer

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:51 AM

I just received a new HR2x. I've ordered an 1TB eSATA drive (Seagate ST31000333AS SY), and am curious about the sequence of installing the new drive in the new receiver.

(1) Should I setup the new HR2x using the internal drive, then install the eSata?

or

(2) Plug in the eSata before plugging in the HR2x for the first time. (That is, does the HR2x the code in ROM to format the eSATA, and a loader to fetch the current firmware.)

Thanks,

Joe
Joe

HR20-100, HR24NC-100, HR21-700
Samsung HLS5687WX 56" DLP
Onkyo TX-SR705 A/V receiver
Samsung Blue-Ray/DVD player
4-channel NTSC modulator

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,937 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:08 AM

I'd suggest that you try the DVR as-is to make sure that what they sent you works. When you've verified that that works and you have the latest software, then you can add another level of complication.

#63 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:18 AM

I just received a new HR2x. I've ordered an 1TB eSATA drive (Seagate ST31000333AS SY), and am curious about the sequence of installing the new drive in the new receiver.

(1) Should I setup the new HR2x using the internal drive, then install the eSata?

or

(2) Plug in the eSata before plugging in the HR2x for the first time. (That is, does the HR2x the code in ROM to format the eSATA, and a loader to fetch the current firmware.)

Thanks,

Joe

either way.. it will automaticaly format and prep the disk..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#64 OFFLINE   dbronstein

dbronstein

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:23 AM

I'd suggest that you try the DVR as-is to make sure that what they sent you works. When you've verified that that works and you have the latest software, then you can add another level of complication.

I agree with this. Don't set up your SLs or anything on the internal drive, just make sure the unit works. Then connect the external drive and set everything up on there.

#65 OFFLINE   TigerDriver

TigerDriver

Electronics Engineer

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:25 AM

I agree with this. Don't set up your SLs or anything on the internal drive, just make sure the unit works. Then connect the external drive and set everything up on there.

This was my instinct, too.
Joe

HR20-100, HR24NC-100, HR21-700
Samsung HLS5687WX 56" DLP
Onkyo TX-SR705 A/V receiver
Samsung Blue-Ray/DVD player
4-channel NTSC modulator

#66 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:27 AM

I would add that make sure the unit works as is, start a recording for a few minutes so the internal drive is not blank, then hook up the external, that way when the dvr is rebooted to switch to the external, you'll know if it recognized the external correctly. If your partial recording is there after hooking up the eSATA, then it didnt switch to the external drive.

#67 OFFLINE   easttexasaggie04

easttexasaggie04

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:07 PM

Hey guys I'm new to this message board, but have problems with an external hard drive on my DVR. I'd like your thoughts on my setup.

I have a DirecTV HR20-100S hooked up to an WD "DVR Expander" 1TB via eSATA. It works great...EXCEPT twice a day it freezes and reboots. Not sure why. I've tried to reset by receiver, but it still happens. Alot of my recordings will be "partial" because it froze during recording. The receiver never froze at all before hooking up the new HD.

Would it do any good to get a newer receiver? Or is it an issue with the HD? Not sure what to do.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

#68 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:18 PM

Disconnect the drive and go back to the internal to see if you get the same rebooting situation. If you do, you know its the DVR, if you don't you know its the external drive...new or not, hard drives do go bad, it could be something just that simple.

#69 OFFLINE   easttexasaggie04

easttexasaggie04

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:30 PM

Well now I've gone from bad to worse in this situation. I went ahead and exchanged the "My DVR Expander" for a WD My Book 1TB eSATA, thinking the first was built more for a Tivo unit instead of a standard DVR. Now my receiver won't recogonize it at all. I've tried rebooting it probably 8 times now, it ignores the external drive and only reads the internal.

I'm pretty frustrated now...any hints on making it work? I guess I might just give up and use the small memory in the internal hard drive..as much as i hate to. dang

#70 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:38 PM

My Books are NOT compatible with any of the HD DVR's last I heard....why didnt you just exchange the unit you had for the same thing? I think your other one was just bad.

#71 OFFLINE   easttexasaggie04

easttexasaggie04

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:18 AM

Well Best Buy was out of the DVR Expanders so I thought I would try a different route, bad idea. The MyBook was never recognized, even after 10 attempts and trying every trick I know.

Which HD have people had the best luck with using the H20-100S receiver? I'm afraid if I get another DVR Expander that it will just freeze and reboot again every day. Keep in mind, I'm a novice at all this stuff.

Thanks for the help.

#72 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,937 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:35 AM

Which HD have people had the best luck with using the H20-100S receiver?

Did you mean HR20-100S?

#73 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:55 AM

You'll notice that Seagate only recommends the Showcase models for HRs built by Pace. Your's isn't. Only those HRs that end in 700 are built by Pace. I spent quite a while talking to folks at Seagate this week and you'd be amazed at what they don't know about D* HRs.

You'd be amazed at what DIRECTV does know about Seagate HDDs, though ;)

As for the note about Pace .. it's more about not updating the data sheet than anything else. Audiovox & Samsung models should work fine as well.

Edited by Doug Brott, 27 July 2009 - 08:00 AM.

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#74 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:59 AM

Well now I've gone from bad to worse in this situation. I went ahead and exchanged the "My DVR Expander" for a WD My Book 1TB eSATA, thinking the first was built more for a Tivo unit instead of a standard DVR. Now my receiver won't recogonize it at all. I've tried rebooting it probably 8 times now, it ignores the external drive and only reads the internal.

My Books are NOT compatible with any of the HD DVR's last I heard....why didnt you just exchange the unit you had for the same thing? I think your other one was just bad.

Also, the My DVR Expander is created specifically for DVRs .. There are reasons why it is recommended.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#75 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,877 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:15 AM

The FAPs do not work with the 21s, that includes the 22s and 23s. They do work very well with the 20-700s.

Rich

Yep, I've been using a FAP 750 for over a year with my HR20-700 and it works perfectly. As noted, this same drive would not work with my HR21-200.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#76 OFFLINE   volkl

volkl

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:34 AM

Have not seen Lacie mentioned much, but I got a D2 Quadra 1 TB and it works fine with an HR20-100. If my memory is correct, I think many hd's work with the HR20's.

It is a bit more expensive because of the firewire capability, but it did come with an esata cable that did not need trimming, it is fanless and thus quiet due to its aluminum enclosure.

An inquiry of Lacie as to who they use for their disk supplier for the D2 was answered with either Seagate or Hitatchi, but they could not tell which one without opening it and voiding its 3 year warranty.

#77 OFFLINE   TJStaar

TJStaar

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:56 AM

I have the Western Digital 2TB drive in an Antec MX-1 on a HR20-100, and it has been flawless. I've had it running a couple of weeks so far.

#78 OFFLINE   easttexasaggie04

easttexasaggie04

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:41 PM

Will the Seagate FreeAgent Xtreme 1TB External w/ eSATA work with a HR20-100S DVR? I'm going to take the MyBook back to Best Buy today and want to pick something up in its place.

Let me know your thoughts..thanks!

#79 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:02 PM

Will the Seagate FreeAgent Xtreme 1TB External w/ eSATA work with a HR20-100S DVR? I'm going to take the MyBook back to Best Buy today and want to pick something up in its place.

I wouldnt give two shakes to anything other than one of the specifically recommended by D* ones, or a good SATA drive in an ANTEC MX-1. I've read about way too many failures with the FAP's and IMO, the jury is still out on the Extremes due to lack of empirical data. Since you already bought it, I would just wait for a replacement My DVR Expander from Best Buy....

#80 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,868 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:57 AM

I've never gotten an eSATA to work on a 100. But, I do have two 1.5 Xtremes working on two 20-700s. Been working perfectly for about a year. Using logic, usually an act of futility on the HRs, the Xtremes should work on a 20-100. Never got one to work on a 21. The My Book will definitely not work on a 20. Might work on a 21. Mixed reviews.

Get the larger HDD Xtreme, you'll be happier with it.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...