Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
3157 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:08 AM

You'd be amazed at what DIRECTV does know about Seagate HDDs, though ;)

For the better part of three years, I've been amazed at what D* doesn't know about their own HRs. What they didn't know about the TiVos and Ultimate TV DVRs I thought was forgivable, but not to train anyone on the HRs is a poor way to run a business and treat customers.

But, you're right, I'd be amazed if D* does know enough about Seagate drives to recommend the proper drives for the HRs. I have five Seagate drives, external and internal and all work perfectly and have no adverse affect on the HRs' performance. The internal is in a 20-700 that I "own".

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:12 AM

My Books are NOT compatible with any of the HD DVR's last I heard....why didnt you just exchange the unit you had for the same thing? I think your other one was just bad.

Some folks have them running on 21s. At least they posted that they do. I do know that they will not work on 20s. WD told me about a year ago that the My Book series would not work with any DVR of any make or model. Then I started seeing posts about them working on 21s. Never tried one. Not big enough. The Antec is just so much easier and more dependable.

Rich

#83 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:14 AM

Hey guys I'm new to this message board, but have problems with an external hard drive on my DVR. I'd like your thoughts on my setup.

I have a DirecTV HR20-100S hooked up to an WD "DVR Expander" 1TB via eSATA. It works great...EXCEPT twice a day it freezes and reboots. Not sure why. I've tried to reset by receiver, but it still happens. Alot of my recordings will be "partial" because it froze during recording. The receiver never froze at all before hooking up the new HD.

Would it do any good to get a newer receiver? Or is it an issue with the HD? Not sure what to do.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

I've read so many bad reviews about the WD Expanders that I don't find this surprising. I'd be more inclined to buy the Showcase.

Rich

#84 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:16 AM

I agree with this. Don't set up your SLs or anything on the internal drive, just make sure the unit works. Then connect the external drive and set everything up on there.

Just make sure you record something on the internal drive so that you can immediately tell if the HR recognizes the eSATA.

Rich

#85 OFFLINE   waxings

waxings

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:29 AM

I am extremely confused. I have a HR23 that I am getting this high pitched ringing from. It has been replaced 2 times with the same result. I am thinking that it is the drive that is making the noise. I want to get an external drive but I am confused on what one will work. Can anyone help me with all this information?

The ringing is driving me MAD!:hair:

Thanks!

#86 OFFLINE   bhanks

bhanks

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:36 PM

My Books are NOT compatible with any of the HD DVR's last I heard....why didnt you just exchange the unit you had for the same thing? I think your other one was just bad.

My HR22-100 works fine with the 1TB My Book Home Edition eSATA model-number 10000H1CS.

Only problem is I got it for my HR20-700 which will not recognize it and
I really don't need it on the HR22-100

#87 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:25 AM

I am extremely confused. I have a HR23 that I am getting this high pitched ringing from. It has been replaced 2 times with the same result. I am thinking that it is the drive that is making the noise. I want to get an external drive but I am confused on what one will work. Can anyone help me with all this information?

The ringing is driving me MAD!:hair:

Thanks!

You've had three 23s and they all have a ringing noise? Is that correct? Need more info. If this isn't a joke, and I trust no one would be that cruel, that's really interesting. What could possibly cause a ringing noise in any HR? If you have had the same issue with three HRs, it's probably not the fault of the 23s. There's nothing in the HRs that would do that. A buzz, a seeking noise from the drive, a transformer going south, stuff like that, but a ringing noise?

Need more info.

Rich

#88 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:35 AM

My HR22-100 works fine with the 1TB My Book Home Edition eSATA model-number 10000H1CS.

Only problem is I got it for my HR20-700 which will not recognize it and
I really don't need it on the HR22-100

When we were working on the eSATA FAQs thread neither Russdog or I had anything but 20s and the My Books would not work on them. I called WD and asked them why, and they told me that the My Books were made in such a manner that they would not work with ANY DVRs. We took them at their word and included that in the thread. Now we know that they do work with the 21s, but nobody will edit that thread, which is loaded with info that is not up to date.

Taught me one lesson. Don't trust WD tech help.

Rich

#89 OFFLINE   Wyoming1

Wyoming1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:21 PM

First time posting, so hope that I am in the right area for this question. If not I please direct to correct thread.

I have had a Free Agent XTreme attached to my hr20-100 since 5/18 and it has worked fine until the last couple of days. It has now started to freeze for a few seconds and then continue, or the sound disappears for a few seconds followed by a short freeze. It almost always starts going again, but have had a couple of times where it has froze up to the point where I have had to re-boot the receiver.

My attempts to remedy have been to unplug both receiver and e-sata, fm power, restart e-sata and then receiver. This has not helped the situation. Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. A call to Seagate and they will not even talk to me without paying since I am beyond the 30 day period.

#90 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:03 PM

First time posting, so hope that I am in the right area for this question. If not I please direct to correct thread.

I have had a Free Agent XTreme attached to my hr20-100 since 5/18 and it has worked fine until the last couple of days. It has now started to freeze for a few seconds and then continue, or the sound disappears for a few seconds followed by a short freeze. It almost always starts going again, but have had a couple of times where it has froze up to the point where I have had to re-boot the receiver.

My attempts to remedy have been to unplug both receiver and e-sata, fm power, restart e-sata and then receiver. This has not helped the situation. Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. A call to Seagate and they will not even talk to me without paying since I am beyond the 30 day period.

I've never been able to get an eSATA to work with a 100. Try a 20-700, I have two Xtremes on two of them and they both work perfectly. You can buy a 20-700 on eBay.

Rich

#91 OFFLINE   TigerDriver

TigerDriver

Electronics Engineer

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:45 PM

Here's a link to another esata drive/enclosure to add to the compatibilty list.

The bundle is a 1TB eSATA Seagate 7200.11 HDD and an Ultra eSTAT/USB enclosure. I paid $137, including shipping.

I had the HDD into the case, buttoned up, and ready to go in about 10 minutes minutes (five of which were hacking my way through the cryptonite plastic packing the drive). Then I:

• Unplugged off my HR20-700
  • Plugged in the Seagate via the eSATA cable provided with the enclosure
  • Plugged in the power brick to the enclosure and hit the ON switch
  • Waited a few seconds for the drive to come up to speed
  • Plugged in my HR20
  • Got the message from HR20 that it was formatting drive.
  • After formatting, the HR20 proceeded as with a normal reset.
  • I recorded the final 15 minutes of a random show; it showed up in the List.
  • I again power-cycled the HR20.
  • The reset was uneventful and unremarkable, and the show recorded in step 8 was still in the list.
  • I'm now waiting for the Guide to populate so I can setup some auto-records.

The enclosure comes with everything you could possible want: both and eSTATA and a USB cable, a PC slot cover plate with an outward-facing eSATA jack an an inward-facing pigtail connector to run to your PC's on-board eSATA plug.

P.S.
TigerDirect is my new favorite computer store.

P.P.S.
Followups:

Fan/HDD noise:

I keep my electronics in my garage, against a wall shared with my entertainment system. So I don't hear it at all. After I assembled the drive/case on my workbench, I briefly plugged it to make certain that both the fan and HDD were working. Not surprisingly, the fan noise masked the HDD noise--small fans must run faster than large ones for the same amount of cooling, so you'll have a noise problem with any of the fan-cooled externals.

So, if your equipment is external or enclosed, the noise should be negligible. If your equipment is in the same room with your TV and is not enclosed in a cabinet, then I'll guess that the noise would be excessive unless you leave the top off the enclosure and unplug the fan.

Edited by TigerDriver, 06 August 2009 - 08:17 AM.
Add PPS about noise.

Joe

HR20-100, HR24NC-100, HR21-700
Samsung HLS5687WX 56" DLP
Onkyo TX-SR705 A/V receiver
Samsung Blue-Ray/DVD player
4-channel NTSC modulator

#92 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:57 PM

The bundle is a 1TB eSATA Seagate 7200.11 HDD and an Ultra eSTAT/USB enclosure. I paid $137, including shipping.

I had the HDD into the case, buttoned up, and ready to go in about 10 minutes minutes (five of which were hacking my way through the cryptonite plastic packing the drive). Then I:

• Unplugged off my HR20-700
  • Plugged in the Seagate via the eSATA cable provided with the enclosure
  • Plugged in the power brick to the enclosure and hit the ON switch
  • Waited a few seconds for the drive to come up to speed
  • Plugged in my HR20
  • Got the message from HR20 that it was formatting drive.
  • After formatting, the HR20 proceeded as with a normal reset.
  • I recorded the final 15 minutes of a random show; it showed up in the List.
  • I again power-cycled the HR20.
  • The reset was uneventful and unremarkable, and the show recorded in step 8 was still in the list.
  • I'm now waiting for the Guide to populate so I can setup some auto-records.

The enclosure comes with everything you could possible want: both and eSTATA and a USB cable, a PC slot cover plate with an outward-facing eSATA jack an an inward-facing pigtail connector to run to your PC's on-board eSATA plug.

P.S.
TigerDirect is my new favorite computer store.

Tiger used to put out a great catalog too.

Since you're the first member I've seen with one of these, would you let us know how it works from time to time. Loud fan, rattlesnake drives, freezeups and lockups, that sort of thing that you're probably not gonna see until you get some recordings on it.

Now I gotta go look at the Tiger sight. Thanx.

Rich

#93 OFFLINE   TigerDriver

TigerDriver

Electronics Engineer

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:15 AM

Tiger used to put out a great catalog too.

Since you're the first member I've seen with one of these, would you let us know how it works from time to time. Loud fan, rattlesnake drives, freezeups and lockups, that sort of thing that you're probably not gonna see until you get some recordings on it.

Now I gotta go look at the Tiger sight. Thanx.

Rich

Instead of putting follow-ups in new posts, I've added a follow-up section to my original post, thereby keeping all the info in one place.

There's already one question about noise.
Joe

4-channel NTSC modulator

#94 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:14 AM

A 'TigerDriver' recommended HDD is not the same thing as a 'DIRECTV' recommended HDD. All drives are not created equal and there are very specific reasons why DIRECTV recommends the ones they do. They are not randomly chosen HDDs. Anything else .. regardless of success rate .. does not fall into the same category.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#95 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:13 AM

Fan/HDD noise:

I keep my electronics in my garage, against a wall shared with my entertainment system. So I don't hear it at all. After I assembled the drive/case on my workbench, I briefly plugged it to make certain that both the fan and HDD were working. Not surprisingly, the fan noise masked the HDD noise--small fans must run faster than large ones for the same amount of cooling, so you'll have a noise problem with any of the fan-cooled externals.

So, if your equipment is external or enclosed, the noise should be negligible. If your equipment is in the same room with your TV and is not enclosed in a cabinet, then I'll guess that the noise would be excessive unless you leave the top off the enclosure and unplug the fan.

Agreed. I've got my eSATAs in a big room, what would be a living room and a dining room, with a 12 foot ceiling and just have the jumper cable wires going thru the wall. That whooshing sound gets swallowed up by that big room, thankfully, and in the adjoining room, the eSATAs can't be heard at all. None of my eSATAs make any hard drive noises, but I've got them all cushioned with rubber insulation cut to fit the bottoms. I did try two of them in the same room as the TV and HRs, but it was too noisy.

Rich

#96 OFFLINE   TigerDriver

TigerDriver

Electronics Engineer

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:54 AM

A 'TigerDriver' recommended HDD is not the same thing as a 'DIRECTV' recommended HDD. All drives are not created equal and there are very specific reasons why DIRECTV recommends the ones they do. They are not randomly chosen HDDs. Anything else .. regardless of success rate .. does not fall into the same category.

Doug,

Sorry, I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread. I've posted it in the Working eSATA Setups thread. So, feel free to delete this post.
Joe

4-channel NTSC modulator

#97 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:55 AM

I read a 1 yr old post where people were saying if you disconnect the external and then later connect it, it wipes the external clean? So is this still the case today? Because while i am tempted to buy one now, realistically it would take me weeks to empty off the internal drive and id have to be rebooting a lot to switch back and forth.
57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder
HR10-250 63 hrs w/DB8 antenna (parts :))
1/2 full Sony T60 (historical value)

#98 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:25 AM

I read a 1 yr old post where people were saying if you disconnect the external and then later connect it, it wipes the external clean? So is this still the case today? Because while i am tempted to buy one now, realistically it would take me weeks to empty off the internal drive and id have to be rebooting a lot to switch back and forth.

TO the best of my knowledge this has never been the normal way it worked. I've been running eSATA on my HR20 for over 2 years and if I restart the receiver and disconnect the eSATA drive it boots up and gives me all my recordings on the internal drive, if I restart again and reconnect the eSATA it gives me all the recordings on the external drive. In my case it has never reformatted the external during this process. I wouldn't put much faith in a 1 year old post either.

#99 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:30 AM

ok glad to know it was an aberration. So what is the real life # of mpeg4 HD hours on a 1tb? The OP says up to 200 and one site I checked out advertises their 1tb upgrade as 145 hours.
57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder
HR10-250 63 hrs w/DB8 antenna (parts :))
1/2 full Sony T60 (historical value)

#100 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:50 AM

ok glad to know it was an aberration. So what is the real life # of mpeg4 HD hours on a 1tb? The OP says up to 200 and one site I checked out advertises their 1tb upgrade as 145 hours.

The rule of thumb has been

300GB == ~50 hrs
500GB == ~100 hrs

(~100GB are reserved for use by DIRECTV)

So 50 hrs/200GB .. Add another 500GB .. It's probably ~225 hrs, but since round numbers tend to make more sense, think of it as:

1TB == ~200 hrs of MPEG4 HD.

MPEG2 HD (mostly OTA) and MPEG2 SD will affect the hours of storage time of course as the compression schemes are different.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...