Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
2883 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:03 AM

thx for the info, makes more sense now.

If anyone is interested, newegg has 10 bucks maximum off drives this weekend code HDDSALE15

I'm still on the fence but it's a bit of incentive nonetheless ;) If i do it i'm definitely using the 'official' drives and not taking any chances thought. But they are $$$.

I do record a few shows mpeg2 SD. I always assumed that used the least amt of space...true? On my hdtivo i knew it was about 8 SD hours to 1 HD hour
57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder
HR10-250 63 hrs w/DB8 antenna (parts :))
1/2 full Sony T60 (historical value)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:32 PM

I just purchased a new Toshiba laptop and as I was setting it up I noticed on the side that it had this eSata connection. I have the HR23-700. Someone else posted on this thread but I didnt see a direct answer. My toshiba has 250HDD. My question is if I connect my laptop through this eSata connection can i (1) play back this content from my laptop when im not connected to the STB (2) this laptop came with DVDRW, can I backup on to disk the content that I record. Only for backup purposes.

Sorry if this was answered but I read each post and didnt really see it. Thanks again.

#103 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:13 PM

I just purchased a new Toshiba laptop and as I was setting it up I noticed on the side that it had this eSata connection. I have the HR23-700. Someone else posted on this thread but I didnt see a direct answer. My toshiba has 250HDD. My question is if I connect my laptop through this eSata connection can i (1) play back this content from my laptop when im not connected to the STB (2) this laptop came with DVDRW, can I backup on to disk the content that I record. Only for backup purposes.

Sorry if this was answered but I read each post and didnt really see it. Thanks again.

The eSATA port on your laptop is only there to let you add an eSATA drive to the laptop, it won't let you use the hard drive in the laptop as a recording device for the DVR. You can connect an eSATA drive directly to the DVR and then try plugging that same eSATA drive into the laptop eSATA port, but you will not be able to play content from the drive.

If you do want to watch your recordings on your laptop, though, you should check out DIRECTV2PC - it's software that lets you watch content from your networked DVR. There's a thread on this in the DIRECTV Extras forum, I believe...

EDIT: Here it is: DIRECTV2PC v5514 - Issues & Discussion

#104 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:54 PM

Thanks Drew. Tried that Directv2PC route already and wont work until support for Windows 7 and dual monitors start. Thanks for your post though. Save me a lot of trouble.

#105 OFFLINE   Knyall

Knyall

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:30 PM

I just purchased a Seagate WS 110 1TB external drive. I've been trying for the past serveral days to attach it to my Direct TV HD DVR, with no luck. When I go to menu, my play list it still shows 64% available space which is what showed prior to connecting the drive. I followed you instructions. Do I need to format this drive before connecting.

#106 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:49 PM

I just purchased a Seagate WS 110 1TB external drive. I've been trying for the past serveral days to attach it to my Direct TV HD DVR, with no luck. When I go to menu, my play list it still shows 64% available space which is what showed prior to connecting the drive. I followed you instructions. Do I need to format this drive before connecting.

The DVR formats the drive the first time it was booted with the new drive installed. It seems your DVR is not detecting the eSATA drive.

Slimlin-5 with SWM16
HR44-700 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 4.0 TB
HR24-500 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 2.0 TB
HR21-700 with DECA adapter for network
Network: Netgear R7000
Internet: Comcast 105/20

#107 OFFLINE   Knyall

Knyall

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:53 PM

in my efforts to get the device working I also attached it to my laptop via a usb cable. At which point it booted up just fine. I can see the hard drive and it show 980+ MB. What format does the DVR recognize. FAT32 or NFS? I'm trying to determine if this external drive will work or do I need to take it back before my 14 return policy runs out.
Getting desparate :-(

#108 OFFLINE   Knyall

Knyall

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:57 PM

Doug,

Check out my message on page five and let me know if you have any suggestions. I'm a first time user of this site so, I'm not sure how questions are posted.

#109 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,273 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:00 AM

I'd say you're not connecting the drive correctly. Whether the cable is bad (all too common), the computer interface is bad or you bought a USB drive, there would seem to be something wrong with what you've done. Then again, it is possible that the eSATA port on the receiver is bad.

What is the step-by-step procedure you're using to enable the drive (starting with pulling the power plugs on everything).

#110 OFFLINE   IndioinHD

IndioinHD

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:15 AM

So if the external drive only works with the original HR what if the dvr dies? Any way to extract shows or view using another source?

#111 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,273 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:42 AM

Any way to extract shows or view using another source?

No.

#112 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:57 AM

Thanks Drew. Tried that Directv2PC route already and wont work until support for Windows 7 and dual monitors start. Thanks for your post though. Save me a lot of trouble.

Perhaps you missed the notes from July 28 .. Those features are already there.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#113 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:01 AM

I don't believe this is one of the drives that DIRECTV recommends. Any other selection will simply fall into the category of hit or miss. The drives on the recommended list are there for a reason and are not randomly chosen devices.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#114 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:03 AM

I'd say you're not connecting the drive correctly. Whether the cable is bad (all too common), the computer interface is bad or you bought a USB drive, there would seem to be something wrong with what you've done. Then again, it is possible that the eSATA port on the receiver is bad.

What is the step-by-step procedure you're using to enable the drive (starting with pulling the power plugs on everything).

It's entirely possible that everything is being connected correctly and the drive functions the way it is supposed to .. AND .. that it still fails to work properly with the HR2x platform.

#115 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:05 AM

So if the external drive only works with the original HR what if the dvr dies? Any way to extract shows or view using another source?

Nope .. This is just the way it is, and why you should never consider your HR2x as a permanent storage solution. There is always the possibility of catastrophic failure, and the more hours of programming you keep, the more you may lose. Fortunately, this failure rate is low, but it does happen.

#116 OFFLINE   IndioinHD

IndioinHD

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:48 PM

Nope .. This is just the way it is, and why you should never consider your HR2x as a permanent storage solution. There is always the possibility of catastrophic failure, and the more hours of programming you keep, the more you may lose. Fortunately, this failure rate is low, but it does happen.

Just to be clear I'm talking about the external drive being reused if the dvr it's married to dies, do you lose both? Sorry for the confusion.

#117 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:19 PM

Just to be clear I'm talking about the external drive being reused if the dvr it's married to dies, do you lose both? Sorry for the confusion.

The external drive can be reused, of course, but the programming will be lost, yes.

#118 OFFLINE   IndioinHD

IndioinHD

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:41 PM

The external drive can be reused, of course, but the programming will be lost, yes.

What do you use as a permanent storage solution, if there is one.

#119 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:30 PM

Perhaps you missed the notes from July 28 .. Those features are already there.

Thanks for pointing that out. I sent off for the key. Thanks for the help.

#120 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:33 PM

I just wanted to add my comments concerning their recommended list:

I have the HR22-100 and I initially tried the recommended 1 TB Seagate drive. It worked for about a week, then started stuttering or visually glitching (hard to describe). Reboots, utility checks (all of which checked out fine) didn't fix the problem as it would start to stutter again after a few days.

It could have simply been a bad drive (or worse, the HR22-100 just doesn't work very well with the Seagate), either way I decided to try a different one.

Next up, the recommended 1 TB Western Digital. So far, so good. Everything is working fine.

You can see my experiences in the Stuttering Playback thread here, lots of helpful people there.

spam firewall