Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
2943 replies to this topic

#1361 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,398 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:32 AM

I'm thinking about putting the same thing in my HR20-700. This should not be a problem, right?

Yup, it will work well with the 20-700. My personal preference for an external device is the Thermaltake docking station, it's easier to install (no tools needed) and is very quiet. Here's a link.

The docking station is perfect for a bedroom. And it's cheaper than an MX-1. The MX-1 is a good choice too.

Rich

Edited by Rich, 30 July 2011 - 08:33 AM.
Omitted a word

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1362 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 853 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:59 AM

Yup, it will work well with the 20-700. My personal preference for an external device is the Thermaltake docking station, it's easier to install (no tools needed) and is very quiet. Here's a link.

The docking station is perfect for a bedroom. And it's cheaper than an MX-1. The MX-1 is a good choice too.

Rich

I saw the Newegg link for the Thermaltake but had seen so many posts about teh MX-1 that I was going to go with it. I might change to the Thermaltake since it would save $15.

#1363 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,398 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:09 AM

I saw the Newegg link for the Thermaltake but had seen so many posts about teh MX-1 that I was going to go with it. I might change to the Thermaltake since it would save $15.

The MX-1 was the weapon of choice for a long time. Then we tried the TT docking stations and some of us have been using them with good results. I have no complaints about the TTs. I have some problems with the MX-1s, they tend to be a bit noisy and have a huge fan inside them that turns the thing into a small vacuum cleaner. Aside from those rather minor complaints (the same things can be said of the Rosewill enclosures too, I think), the MX-1 is a good, solid enclosure and should work for years.

Rich

#1364 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:58 AM

My first external drive was in an MX-1 which at the time was the most poplular and recommended enclosure. After I decided to add another external, the TT was being mentioned more and more on this forum so I decided to go with that. I was so happy with the TT because of ease of installation that when the disk in the MX-1 went bad, I decided to go with another TT. I keep the MX-1 on a shelf just in case I need a back up if one of the TTs goes bad. (Or if I ever need more storage on my computer.)
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

#1365 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 534 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:26 AM

If anyone has problems with a TT dock try a different eSATA cable.

Monoprice has a better quality and not SO rigid eSATA cable for only $2.84

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

Posted Image

#1366 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,398 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:39 PM

Posted Image

With all the external devices I've had over the years, I've never had a bad eSATA to eSATA cable, but that one looks like a winner should you get one.

Rich

#1367 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:12 PM

I just ordered a WD 2TB EARS with an MX-1 for my HR 20-100. Just a couple questions for clarification...

From everything I've read, the newest DirecTV firmware would make this drive fully compatible?

Do I need to put a jumper on this drive?

Thanks in advance for your help...

I picked up a 1TB WD EARS at Fry's today for $65 will it work in my MX-1 and my new HR24-100?

#1368 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• 534 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:27 PM

With all the external devices I've had over the years, I've never had a bad eSATA to eSATA cable, but that one looks like a winner should you get one.

Rich

With all the external devices I've had over the years and ALL the external devices I've sold and installed and repaired and replaced, I've learned that the el cheapo really rigid cables make life on the device connectors really difficult and can make for intermittent connections.

If your eSATA cable is rigid enough to pick up your external device and suspend it in mid air look at the cable from Monoprice and curiously the one that comes with the the WD AVR Expanders (and WD has some :rolleyes: experience with external devices) are flexible and $2.84 is cheap insurance ;)

And while we're discussing cables the latest rev 24AWG CL2 High Speed HDMI Cables can loosen a TV or DVR HDMI connector pretty quick.

Posted Image

... and so there are now port savers to protect HDMI connectors in devices which seems kinda dumb... get a high quality hi-speed HDMI cable and them connect it through a 6" lower quality cable?

Posted Image

#1369 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,968 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:37 PM

Rich

Funny, I have had two bad esata cables in the last 2 years.. Go figure...

Generally, I don't have issues with cables though. I think it was a random fluke, but it can happen... :D

#1370 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,398 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:52 AM

I picked up a 1TB WD EARS at Fry's today for $65 will it work in my MX-1 and my new HR24-100?

Good question. I've got a 100, but I haven't put an external on it. The wife's using it and if she doesn't complain about the lack of capacity I'm not gonna take a chance on trying. First 100 HR that I've ever had work this long and I'm just gonna leave it alone as long as I can.

Do let us know how you make out with it. I've had no problems with externals and the one 24-200 that I had, but I've had plenty of problems with my 24-500s. I had to put the large HDD internally, wouldn't work with an external device. I do own it. Works perfectly with the 2TB internally.

For about $15 more, you could have gotten a 2TB EARS on Amazon.

Rich

#1371 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,398 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:59 AM

With all the external devices I've had over the years and ALL the external devices I've sold and installed and repaired and replaced, I've learned that the el cheapo really rigid cables make life on the device connectors really difficult and can make for intermittent connections.

I've just used the cables that came with the external devices. Never had a problem.

If your eSATA cable is rigid enough to pick up your external device and suspend it in mid air look at the cable from Monoprice and curiously the one that comes with the the WD AVR Expanders (and WD has some :rolleyes: experience with external devices) are flexible and $2.84 is cheap insurance ;)

I've never seen a jumper cable that inflexible.

And while we're discussing cables the latest rev 24AWG CL2 High Speed HDMI Cables can loosen a TV or DVR HDMI connector pretty quick.

I bought a bunch of "F" couplers that relieve stress very well.

Posted Image

... and so there are now port savers to protect HDMI connectors in devices which seems kinda dumb... get a high quality hi-speed HDMI cable and them connect it through a 6" lower quality cable?

Posted Image

What would you screw that into? I don't remember ever seeing a way to do that.

Rich

#1372 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,398 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:06 AM

Funny, I have had two bad esata cables in the last 2 years.. Go figure...

Huh. I've still got the cables from those crappy Cavalry eSATAs and the cables still work well. Where'd you get the bad ones?

Generally, I don't have issues with cables though. I think it was a random fluke, but it can happen... :D

Yup, I wasn't implying anything, just commenting on the fact that I've never had a bad one. And with my luck...

Rich

#1373 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:01 AM

Good question. I've got a 100, but I haven't put an external on it. The wife's using it and if she doesn't complain about the lack of capacity I'm not gonna take a chance on trying. First 100 HR that I've ever had work this long and I'm just gonna leave it alone as long as I can.

Do let us know how you make out with it. I've had no problems with externals and the one 24-200 that I had, but I've had plenty of problems with my 24-500s. I had to put the large HDD internally, wouldn't work with an external device. I do own it. Works perfectly with the 2TB internally.

For about $15 more, you could have gotten a 2TB EARS on Amazon.

Rich

It was a bit of a impulse purchase and after doing more research I'm not sure the EARS long term reliability in a DVR is something I want to risk. I may return it. Any recomendations? I still working my way thru this thread, lots of good information.

#1374 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,398 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:45 AM

It was a bit of a impulse purchase and after doing more research I'm not sure the EARS long term reliability in a DVR is something I want to risk. I may return it. Any recomendations? I still working my way thru this thread, lots of good information.

Lots of out of date info too. If you want an HDD that's made specifically for DVRs, the EURS WD HDD is the latest one. Some folks have had problems getting the HRs to recognize them, tho. I have a couple of WD EADS HDDs in my owned 20-700s and they've been very reliable. They aren't built with DVRs in mind, just as the EARS aren't. For the price, you can't beat the EARS.

How reliable will they be in the long run? Only way to know that is to wait a couple years and see if they are still working properly. I know I have one EARS used externally and I might have one internally in one of my other owned 20-700s. Kinda lost track of what's in what. Should have marked them all.

Another really good HDD is the WD EVDS line. They are made for DVRs and really work quite well, but they have stopped production of them and the EURS has taken it's place. If you can find an EVDS at a decent price somewhere, you might consider buying it.

I'd recommend going for the larger 2TB HDDs, they don't cost a lot more than the 1TBs and will serve you better. Any HDD that passes 20-30% available capacity is probably gonna bog down your HR to some extent. The closer you get to full, the worse it gets. A Menu Restart will usually get the HR running quicker again, but you'll find yourself restarting it more frequently. I keep my 2TBs at 50-60% full and have no bogging down of my HRs. This week I'll get another 2TB EARS to replace a really noisy Seagate 1.5TB in an external device. That will give me 20TBs of capacity. I wouldn't recommend anything but a WD HDD at this time.

Rich

#1375 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:18 AM

Lots of out of date info too. If you want an HDD that's made specifically for DVRs, the EURS WD HDD is the latest one. Some folks have had problems getting the HRs to recognize them, tho. I have a couple of WD EADS HDDs in my owned 20-700s and they've been very reliable. They aren't built with DVRs in mind, just as the EARS aren't. For the price, you can't beat the EARS.

How reliable will they be in the long run? Only way to know that is to wait a couple years and see if they are still working properly. I know I have one EARS used externally and I might have one internally in one of my other owned 20-700s. Kinda lost track of what's in what. Should have marked them all.

Another really good HDD is the WD EVDS line. They are made for DVRs and really work quite well, but they have stopped production of them and the EURS has taken it's place. If you can find an EVDS at a decent price somewhere, you might consider buying it.

I'd recommend going for the larger 2TB HDDs, they don't cost a lot more than the 1TBs and will serve you better. Any HDD that passes 20-30% available capacity is probably gonna bog down your HR to some extent. The closer you get to full, the worse it gets. A Menu Restart will usually get the HR running quicker again, but you'll find yourself restarting it more frequently. I keep my 2TBs at 50-60% full and have no bogging down of my HRs. This week I'll get another 2TB EARS to replace a really noisy Seagate 1.5TB in an external device. That will give me 20TBs of capacity. I wouldn't recommend anything but a WD HDD at this time.

Rich

Rich, Thanks for the for the information just what I was looking for.
T

#1376 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:27 AM

Posted Image

Another nice thing about the Monoprice cables is that they come in different colors. Makes tracing them a little easier if you only have minimal space behind your a/v cabinet.
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

#1377 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:02 AM

The EURS is meant for 24/7 av use, like a dvr....you may want to return your EARS and get the EURS...I recently bought one and its working flawlessly.

#1378 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• 534 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:30 AM

The EURS is meant for 24/7 av use, like a dvr....you may want to return your EARS and get the EURS...I recently bought one and its working flawlessly.

Agree with CCarncross...

I've got a WD10EURS in a TT dock that works flawlessly with an HR24-500 and also tested OK on an HR24-100 once I swapped the TT eSATA cable for a different one.

The WD10EURS is quiet.

#1379 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,398 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:49 AM

Rich, Thanks for the for the information just what I was looking for.
T

You're welcome. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Rich

#1380 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,398 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:50 AM

Agree with CCarncross...

I've got a WD10EURS in a TT dock that works flawlessly with an HR24-500 and also tested OK on an HR24-100 once I swapped the TT eSATA cable for a different one.

The WD10EURS is quiet.

Didn't you have a problem with a previous EURS?

Rich

spam firewall