Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
2912 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,375 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:53 AM

What do you use as a permanent storage solution, if there is one.

There is no archiving solution that involves DIRECTV DVRs.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,251 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:44 AM

What do you use as a permanent storage solution, if there is one.

I go to Amazon and buy a box set of DVDs for season series. Better PQ, better sound. With a good BD player a standard DVD is upscaled to 1080/60p and is noticeably better than 1080i. Be foolish to trust an HR to last long enough to archive programming, altho, my HRs and eSATAs are so trouble free that I'm beginning to wonder about the whole archiving thing. Perhaps in a couple years...

Rich

#123 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:08 AM

I just wanted to add my comments concerning their recommended list:

I have the HR22-100 and I initially tried the recommended 1 TB Seagate drive. It worked for about a week, then started stuttering or visually glitching (hard to describe). Reboots, utility checks (all of which checked out fine) didn't fix the problem as it would start to stutter again after a few days.

It could have simply been a bad drive (or worse, the HR22-100 just doesn't work very well with the Seagate), either way I decided to try a different one.

Next up, the recommended 1 TB Western Digital. So far, so good. Everything is working fine.

You can see my experiences in the Stuttering Playback thread here, lots of helpful people there.

It was likely a bad HDD .. Being that these devices are mechanical, it happens unfortunately.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#124 OFFLINE   IndioinHD

IndioinHD

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:06 AM

My Seagate eSATA 1TB external came today but D* shipped the dvr without b band converters, hopefully I can find some laying around here...............

#125 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:49 AM

Anyone tried the Seagate Showcase drive (http://www.seagate.c...ment/showcase)? Any benefit to getting it, since it's about $80 more than a comparable brand X eSATA 1TB drive?

I ask because it looks like my current external eSATA drive is dying (http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=163832).

#126 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:57 AM

Anyone tried the Seagate Showcase drive (http://www.seagate.c...ment/showcase)? Any benefit to getting it, since it's about $80 more than a comparable brand X eSATA 1TB drive?

I ask because it looks like my current external eSATA drive is dying (http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=163832).

All I can tell you is that the drives recommended by DIRECTV were not randomly chosen. If you look at the specs you'll notice both the Seagate and WD recommendations mention DVRs .. that's gotta mean something. Brand X is probably geared for computer use rather than DVR use.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#127 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:33 AM

Best bet is to either stick with one of the specifically recommended recommended models at the beginning of this thread, or go the ANTEC MX-1 route with a suitable WD or Seagate drive installed in it.

#128 OFFLINE   nuspieds

nuspieds

Legend

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 12:03 AM

My Books are not supported...the WD solution is called the my dvr extender. its so much less hassle to order a bare bones WD 1-2TB green drive, and put it in an ANTEC MX-1. this combo works with all current HR2x models....

I purchased a 2TB My Book and was getting ready to install it the following day. Thankfully, I kept on reading the messages in this thread and stumbled upon yours! :)

I never even opened up the box, so I promptly returned it the next day in exchange for the Antec MX-1 and the 2TB WD Caviar Green.

I am now a very happy camper with 2TBs of storage for my HR20-700!! :joy:

Thanks for not only pointing me in the right direction, but also for helping me avoid some misery (had I tried the My Book)!

#129 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,251 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:54 AM

I purchased a 2TB My Book and was getting ready to install it the following day. Thankfully, I kept on reading the messages in this thread and stumbled upon yours! :)

I never even opened up the box, so I promptly returned it the next day in exchange for the Antec MX-1 and the 2TB WD Caviar Green.

I am now a very happy camper with 2TBs of storage for my HR20-700!! :joy:

Thanks for not only pointing me in the right direction, but also for helping me avoid some misery (had I tried the My Book)!

Yup. Would have never worked on the 20-700. That includes the whole My Book series.

Rich

#130 OFFLINE   IndioinHD

IndioinHD

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:09 AM

Finally got my Seagate 1TB up and running along side the HR20-700, so far so good.

#131 OFFLINE   ke5ckp

ke5ckp

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 02:35 PM

I have a hr21-700 and I would like to add a 1tb hd to the unit I bought a wd mybook model wd1000his-00. This is a eSATA unit. I unpluged the dtv and turned on the hd and let get up to speed. then turned the dtv on. It saw the hard drive but would not load. Is there any thing that I can do???

#132 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,251 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 September 2009 - 02:45 PM

I have a hr21-700 and I would like to add a 1tb hd to the unit I bought a wd mybook model wd1000his-00. This is a eSATA unit. I unpluged the dtv and turned on the hd and let get up to speed. then turned the dtv on. It saw the hard drive but would not load. Is there any thing that I can do???

You did have the eSATA to eSATA jumper cable connected before you powered up the eSATA, right?

The 21-700s are kind of finicky about eSATAs. Some members have reported that the My Book works with their 21-700s.

If all you care about is a 1TB eSATA, I'd suggest the recommended WD eSATA. There's a couple eSATA threads running. The other one has information about other eSATAs that work.

Rich

#133 OFFLINE   ke5ckp

ke5ckp

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 02:53 PM

Yes I have a eSATA cable connected to he DTV and WD

#134 OFFLINE   ke5ckp

ke5ckp

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 02:55 PM

Is there anything special you have to do the the Mybook to make them work??
Rick

#135 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,375 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:35 PM

In most cases the solution is to replace it with a known compatible model.

From Western Digital, the recommended model is the My DVR Expander.

Edited by harsh, 06 September 2009 - 10:41 PM.

#136 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 September 2009 - 12:28 AM

Rick

The MyBook is not one of the drives that works. You need to replace it with something else, preferably one of the ones that is on DIRECTV's recommended list.

#137 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,375 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:21 AM

I could have sworn I said that.

#138 OFFLINE   Steveknj

Steveknj

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:45 AM

OK, I bought a Phantom 1TB drive and it seems to work fine with my HR21-100. But i have a question. I am not sure if this is related to using the external drive or if this is related to the new update, but I have horrible lag time. I push remote buttons and nothing happens, it takes a moment to go from screen to screen. Trick play seems to work ok when I push those buttons.

#139 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:17 AM

I could have sworn I said that.

Call me crazy (and why you don't understand this by now I'll never know) but I think it means more coming from a DirecTV Forums Moderator than a Dish subscriber. :shrug:

#140 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,281 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 12:07 PM

Call me crazy (and why you don't understand this by now I'll never know) but I think it means more coming from a DirecTV Forums Moderator than a Dish subscriber. :shrug:

harsh is a DiSH spy, didn't you know that? :lol:
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

spam firewall