Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
3157 replies to this topic

#1381 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 534 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:14 PM

Didn't you have a problem with a previous EURS?

Rich

Intermittent recognition of the external device by my HR24-500... it turned out to be the TT cable.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1382 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,279 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:47 PM

Agree with CCarncross...

I've got a WD10EURS in a TT dock that works flawlessly with an HR24-500 and also tested OK on an HR24-100 once I swapped the TT eSATA cable for a different one.

The WD10EURS is quiet.

OK, you made me order one. B+H had the best price due to free shipping, today at least!
Thanks.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#1383 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• 534 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:03 PM

OK, you made me order one. B+H had the best price due to free shipping, today at least!
Thanks.

Got mine @ Newegg... $64.99 with free shipping that only took two days and a liberal return policy.

Newegg also has a deal on the TT dock... $33.97 plus $10 rebate and FREE shipping.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817153071

#1384 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:18 PM

Lots of out of date info too. If you want an HDD that's made specifically for DVRs, the EURS WD HDD is the latest one. Some folks have had problems getting the HRs to recognize them, tho. I have a couple of WD EADS HDDs in my owned 20-700s and they've been very reliable. They aren't built with DVRs in mind, just as the EARS aren't. For the price, you can't beat the EARS.

How reliable will they be in the long run? Only way to know that is to wait a couple years and see if they are still working properly. I know I have one EARS used externally and I might have one internally in one of my other owned 20-700s. Kinda lost track of what's in what. Should have marked them all.

Another really good HDD is the WD EVDS line. They are made for DVRs and really work quite well, but they have stopped production of them and the EURS has taken it's place. If you can find an EVDS at a decent price somewhere, you might consider buying it.

I'd recommend going for the larger 2TB HDDs, they don't cost a lot more than the 1TBs and will serve you better. Any HDD that passes 20-30% available capacity is probably gonna bog down your HR to some extent. The closer you get to full, the worse it gets. A Menu Restart will usually get the HR running quicker again, but you'll find yourself restarting it more frequently. I keep my 2TBs at 50-60% full and have no bogging down of my HRs. This week I'll get another 2TB EARS to replace a really noisy Seagate 1.5TB in an external device. That will give me 20TBs of capacity. I wouldn't recommend anything but a WD HDD at this time.

Rich

I carried the WD EARS back and got a WD 1.5TB EVDS. I'll let you know how it does when I have a chance to put it in my MX-1.

#1385 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:02 PM

I carried the WD EARS back and got a WD 1.5TB EVDS. I'll let you know how it does when I have a chance to put it in my MX-1.

Well, shoot, now I'm all nervous about the EARS I have coming this week. Fortunately, it's for an experiment with my HR20-700 which records the lowest priority of our shows.

#1386 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:48 AM

That's just a good HDD. It should work perfectly. Good choice. Did they have the 2TB version in stock? If so, how much?

Rich

#1387 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:44 PM

That's just a good HDD. It should work perfectly. Good choice. Did they have the 2TB version in stock? If so, how much?

Rich

The 2TB was $109. (1.5TB=$89, 1TB= $65)I was tempted but trying to mind the budget so I took the middle ground. The 1.5TB on my HR24-100 and the 500mb on my HR22 should be enough. We had been getting by with 1.25 TB total storage for years and now we have 2TB total. But I'll keep your advice in mind about not retaining programs to the extent they bog the HRs down, that is good advice.

I got the EVDS up and running last night no problems so far. I'm researching a network problem I have been having since the storm that took out my HR20-700. I've narrowed it down to "IP address conflict with another system on network". I note that the HR22 has a static notation by the IP should it have a static address? Wrong thread for this I guess but any tips?

#1388 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:32 PM

I have an HR20 and was looking at the Fantom 2tb drives that are available.
There were a few negative reviews on them awhile back but do we have any recent feedback of how they hold up?

I've searched the threads and though some of you have advised against them ~ I've only seen a couple people report failures.
I've had a 1tb Cavalry work great for me the past 2-3yrs.
Thanks.

#1389 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,048 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:31 PM

If your store have grace period for return it - try and tell us how it working with latest version of FW

#1390 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:44 AM

The 2TB was $109. (1.5TB=$89, 1TB= $65)I was tempted but trying to mind the budget so I took the middle ground. The 1.5TB on my HR24-100 and the 500mb on my HR22 should be enough. We had been getting by with 1.25 TB total storage for years and now we have 2TB total. But I'll keep your advice in mind about not retaining programs to the extent they bog the HRs down, that is good advice.

Wow, that's a great price for the 2TB. But I understand and a 1.5 is still a pretty good sized HDD. Wonder how much shipping is from them? I'll have to check that out.

I got the EVDS up and running last night no problems so far. I'm researching a network problem I have been having since the storm that took out my HR20-700. I've narrowed it down to "IP address conflict with another system on network". I note that the HR22 has a static notation by the IP should it have a static address? Wrong thread for this I guess but any tips?

I had a lot of problems with IP address conflicts until VOS told me how to put a static IP address on each one of my Net devices. Now, every device that connects to my router has a static IP address and I have no problems at all, in that regard. Almost bought a new computer because of the conflicts.

I can't say enough about all the help that VOS has given me over the years and I've tried to pass that knowledge down to others whenever I can. Believe me, I don't have the knowledge or background to just pull these answers out of a hat.

If you don't know how to set up a static IP address, PM me and I'll explain how to do it. I'll send that same info to anyone who asks me for it.

Rich

#1391 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:54 AM

I have an HR20 and was looking at the Fantom 2tb drives that are available.
There were a few negative reviews on them awhile back but do we have any recent feedback of how they hold up?

I've searched the threads and though some of you have advised against them ~ I've only seen a couple people report failures.
I've had a 1tb Cavalry work great for me the past 2-3yrs.
Thanks.

The Fantoms do seem a bit iffy, but it might be as you say. Just a few people with problems and you do tend to notice the problems. I'd still go with what we recognize as the "standard" for external devices. The EURS WD HDD and either an Antec MX-1 enclosure (or a Rosewill enclosure) or the Thermaltake docking station.

I don't like out of the box eSATAs. We know the EURS or EVDS is made specifically with DVRs in mind and, aside from the 24-500s, these will work with any of the HRs. I've mentioned my problems with the 500s and external drives before. My personal choice is the Thermaltake docking station for an external device. No tools needed. About as close to "Plug and Play" as you're gonna get right now.

Rich

#1392 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:56 AM

If your store have grace period for return it - try and tell us how it working with latest version of FW

Dropped your package in the mail today. Should have it in a week.

Rich

#1393 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,048 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:30 PM

OK. Will test them all ..

#1394 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:18 PM

OK. Will test them all ..

Enjoy yourself, I was just gonna throw them out.

Rich

#1395 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,048 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:51 PM

That's my nature (as EE worked for Sustain Group) - test, test, test ... :) And find root cause, make it works again and prevent the issue in a future.

#1396 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:58 PM

Wow, that's a great price for the 2TB. But I understand and a 1.5 is still a pretty good sized HDD. Wonder how much shipping is from them? I'll have to check that out.

I had a lot of problems with IP address conflicts until VOS told me how to put a static IP address on each one of my Net devices. Now, every device that connects to my router has a static IP address and I have no problems at all, in that regard. Almost bought a new computer because of the conflicts.

I can't say enough about all the help that VOS has given me over the years and I've tried to pass that knowledge down to others whenever I can. Believe me, I don't have the knowledge or background to just pull these answers out of a hat.

If you don't know how to set up a static IP address, PM me and I'll explain how to do it. I'll send that same info to anyone who asks me for it.

Rich

I should note these were what they called OEM drives, new but not in a box, just a sealed package.
They have a 15 day return policy.

I managed to resolve my network issue. I on the HR22 I redid the network set up and all is well. At least for now. But I will PM you to get the details on setting up the static IP address in case the issue returns. I've done some research on Network issues but have more to learn.
T

#1397 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,279 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:50 PM

+1

All I did was set each one via the remote on each of three receivers. I used the model number, eg, .20, .24 and .25 so I could readily tell them apart as I looked at Netgear's router info page. Obviously won't work if one has several of the same model....

No more glitches as machines no longer fight over an IP lease.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#1398 OFFLINE   jimbodunky

jimbodunky

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:30 PM

Hi Folks,

I've seen a ton of support in this thread for the Thermaltake BlacX N0028USU eSATA dock.

I found another TT enclosure that looks tons cooler and has twin fans to cool a WD20EURS.

The Thermaltake ST0021U Max 5 twin fan eSATA enclosure has a much newer manufacture date (2010) compared to the BlacX (2005).

I'm having trouble understanding why the twin fan enclosure hasn't been brought up previously in this thread. It has an active cooling system vs. a passive one and even though the dock allows for easy HDD swaps, the Directv HD DVR would never allow for swapping HDDs back and forth. If you shelved a full HDD and swapped in a new one, if you went back to swap in the shelved one, it'd just reformat the drive as a new one. I'm saying this rhetorically because I'm sure everyone in here already knows that.

What I have right now is an old WD 1.5 TB My Book Home Edition that has an eSATA port on the back. Never unboxed it until 3 weeks ago when I got the HR24 installed. I'd gotten it a couple of years ago at a Best Buy Black Friday event for a future DVR that I haven't gotten until now.

The only thing that stopped me from plugging it in was the lack of an eSATA cable. Now that my DVR is about 50% full, I want to try what I have before dropping coin on the TT enclosure. I know I won't have access to the internal HDD once I plug in the MBHE, but if anyone knows for sure that the MBHE is inviting nothing but migraines I won't even bother trying it out. I have other WD externals in the house and the things tend to go to sleep on their own when not being utilized.

Reading up on the HDD spin technology in the EURS has made me a believer already.

So to nutshell it: Do I bother even trying the MBHE and why is the passively cooled, lame looking docking station so much more popular than the actively cooled, newer HDD enclosure?

Thanks for your time!

Attached Thumbnails

• 17-153-142-TS.jpeg

Sey Jallo To My Liddle Frein!!!

HR24, SWiM, DCCK via 50Mbps 802.11n.

#1399 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,048 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:35 PM

... the Directv HD DVR would never allow for swapping HDDs back and forth. If you shelved a full HDD and swapped in a new one, if you went back to swap in the shelved one, it'd just reformat the drive as a new one. I'm saying this rhetorically because I'm sure everyone in here already knows that...

Really ? Where is you get such wrong understanding of DVR support of eSATA drives ?

BTW, what you mean by "MBHE" ?

[vent on]
What is pissing me off, after such posts with nonsense and throwing out everything what credible members here been tested and posted, the posts will get (and got actually) references from other newbies - "I'm reading controversial information on the site, can't get reliable data to make my decision, would you ..." and ask same question again and again. And our members politely & correctly answering same question again and again ! We getting multiple threads about same aspect with redundant info ... And here is come a loop again ...
[vent off]

Edited by P Smith, 02 August 2011 - 06:10 PM.

#1400 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• 534 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:50 PM

BTW, what you mean by "MBHE" ?

My Book Home Edition... seems obvious

Protected By... spam firewall...And...