Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
3164 replies to this topic

#1951 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,336 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

To clarify, the drive is an external from the HR20 that is being replaced. I know the recordings will not be viewable, but will the series links remain?

Thanks,
Tim

Theoretically they should - it's just DB without scrambling. Try and tell us if I'm wrong.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#1952 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

I am replacing one of my HR20-700's with an HR34. I am contemplating moving the external eSata drive to the new HR34 (just to be cheap - it is 1.5GB). I know the recordings will be unavailable, but will the series links be preserved? Will I need to delete the old unavailable recordings to free up space (and are there any gotchas from doing this)?

Thanks,
Tim

If you move the drive to your HR34, everything will be there....all but OTA recordings will be unplayable..SL's, etc...are all retained.

#1953 OFFLINE   buist

buist

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 259 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:31 PM

If you move the drive to your HR34, everything will be there....all but OTA recordings will be unplayable..SL's, etc...are all retained.

That is exactly what I needed.

Thanks!
Tim

My Setup: DirecTv HR34-700 Family Room, HR24-100 Master Bedroom, C41 Family Room, SWM-13 LNB

#1954 OFFLINE   billd1954

billd1954

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:17 AM

Rich is saying that the drive inside your external might be fine, and by extracting it from the enclosure it might still work.

I have an old Free Agent Pro external which I can only use with the USB port (I only use it with a PC, not a DIRECTV DVR.) The eSata port has failed. The contents on the drive were not affected.

Of course it may be that you know that your external drive has actually failed, i.e. it has noticible audible signs of failure.

Also, :welcome_s to DBSTalk!!

Let me explain what I meant. Take the Free Agent Pro (FAP) apart and use its HDD in the TT docking station. It should still work. I did not mean to take out the internal drive. All the docking stations and enclosures seem to fail before their HDDs do, so you've probably got a good HDD inside the FAP.

Rich

Thanks guys for all your help. I ripped the old drive apart, purchased a TT dock and new 1.5 TB drive. Booted off the old drive and it worked. Now I have a backup with all my movies playable! Appreciate your help!:D

Bill

#1955 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,015 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:35 AM

Thanks guys for all your help. I ripped the old drive apart, purchased a TT dock and new 1.5 TB drive. Booted off the old drive and it worked. Now I have a backup with all my movies playable! Appreciate your help!:D

Bill

You're welcome. By the way, that sound David mentioned sounds like the HDD is grinding glass. When you hear that, it's definitely time for a new HDD.

Rich

#1956 OFFLINE   billd1954

billd1954

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:12 AM

With the old drive in the docking station, I amazed how often it is accessed by the DVR. It's almost constant. Does anybody use multiple drives with the docking station (Ex - one drive for long term storage?)

Bill

#1957 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:16 AM

With the old drive in the docking station, I amazed how often it is accessed by the DVR. It's almost constant. Does anybody use multiple drives with the docking station (Ex - one drive for long term storage?)

Bill

It is constantly accessed by the drive...I'm sure some use multiple drives, but swapping between them requires a complete shutdown and reboot. You should never depend on your dvr drive for long term storage as there is no solid backup strategy that is effective.

#1958 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,937 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

You should never depend on your dvr drive for long term storage as there is no solid backup strategy that is effective.

I should be pointed out that you can securely back up the data, just not the DVR that recorded it.
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#1959 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

I should be pointed out that you can securely back up the data, just not the DVR that recorded it.

What method do you propose for these backups?

Beyond running RAID, I can't think of a way to effectively have a reasonably up to date backup of the drive. You'd have to take the thing offline too long to do it rendering the DVR useless. Since most of us are recording something virtually every day, you can't really take it off-line for 7-8 hours each day to back it up.

#1960 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,336 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

RAID-1 would be the answer...

Edited by P Smith, 20 February 2012 - 12:10 PM.
oops

#1961 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,493 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

You mean RAID 1, right?

#1962 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,336 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:11 PM

Oops, mistyped (I corrected that post).

#1963 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,493 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:16 PM

I figured. RAID 0 is horrid for when you don't want to lose data :)

#1964 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Unaffiliated with the CG Youth Auxiliary

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,312 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

The truth is that you can use the method for copying an internal drive to manually back up (copy) your recordings.

Depending on what you want to keep backed up, a weekly or monthly copy might be worth doing.

#1965 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,015 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

Bill

No, don't go there.

Rich

#1966 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,324 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:54 PM

RAID-1 would be the answer...

RAID 1 is the best possible method to protect yourself from a drive going bad, and I'm running a RAID 1 enclosure on one of my units, however that still doesn't help you if the DVR itself goes kaput.

This thread actually reminded me... I just ordered another RAID 1 enclosure for my new HR34.

Edited by RunnerFL, 20 February 2012 - 03:00 PM.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#1967 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,045 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

RAID 1 is the best possible method to protect yourself from a drive going bad, and I'm running a RAID 1 enclosure on one of my units, however that still doesn't help you if the DVR itself goes kaput.

This thread actually reminded me... I just ordered another RAID 1 enclosure for my new HR34.

Which raid enclosure do you use?

#1968 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,324 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

Which raid enclosure do you use?

http://www.amazon.co...s00_i00_details
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#1969 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,336 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

Don't forget to read all one-star feedbacks: http://www.amazon.co...erBy=addOneStar

#1970 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,324 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

Don't forget to read all one-star feedbacks: http://www.amazon.co...erBy=addOneStar

That feedback has NOTHING to do with this unit. It talks about the LCD readout and if you read about the product you'll see it has NO LCD readout.

Not to mention 1 star ratings on Amazon are normally put there by people who have no clue what they are doing.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#1971 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,336 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

LCD ? You should read before disguise these reports:

I purchased this unit to use as external storage for a DIRECTV DVR running Linux. Worked fine for about 14 months and then quit working.

Tried two units, both had problems. Errors. Unacceptable for a RAID unit needed for reliablity.

#1972 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,324 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

LCD ? You should read before disguise these reports:

I purchased this unit to use as external storage for a DIRECTV DVR running Linux. Worked fine for about 14 months and then quit working.

Had you actually read the next sentence it says "The LCD displays I2C ERROR !!!!!". There is NO LCD display on this device. The feedback left does NOT apply.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#1973 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,994 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:52 AM

Had you actually read the next sentence it says "The LCD displays I2C ERROR !!!!!". There is NO LCD display on this device. The feedback left does NOT apply.

I suspect the reviewer meant to post his comment for the MS2UT+, which has an LCD display, but instead posted his review in the MS2UTN+ by accident. I agree it's unlikely that review applies to the MS2UTN+.

Either way, IMHO, four reviews isn't enough to give me a good picture of the reliability of the device.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 1.66¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 3.32¢ worth.  That 3.32¢ is my own and not the 3.32¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#1974 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,324 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:08 AM

Either way, IMHO, four reviews isn't enough to give me a good picture of the reliability of the device.

I've had mine for several months now and not had any issues. The first one I received was bad but that's because it got messed up in shipping.

Also, Amazon isn't the only place to read reviews and find info on this device. :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#1975 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,937 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

What method do you propose for these backups?

I don't propose that you back up your everyday programming. If there is something you want to archive, I suggest you put it on a different drive and make a backup copy of that. There are several competent cloning programs and some of them do incremental backups.

For the few that have only one DVR, it would certainly be problematic but I'm guessing the percentage of those households is pretty small.
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

Protected By... spam firewall...And...