Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
2912 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,249 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 September 2009 - 12:07 PM

Is there anything special you have to do the the Mybook to make them work??
Rick

No, if it was gonna work, it would have according to what you have posted. All eSATAs use the same short procedure for activation. Unplug both the eSATA and the HR, plug in the jumper cable to both, then plug in the eSATA and then plug in the HR. Simple. If you followed that procedure and the My Book doesn't work, return it.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   ljg1118

ljg1118

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:02 PM

I have an HR20-100 is there a place in the menu that shows details of the additional hard drive space when a working E-Sara drive is connected?

#143 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:26 PM

I have an HR20-100 is there a place in the menu that shows details of the additional hard drive space when a working E-Sara drive is connected?

No. The Playlist shows the free space as a a percentage of the user's recording area on the drive, but the only way you could compare is to do it "before and after". For example, start with an empty playlist and record 5 hours from channel 202 on the internal drive. Look at the free space. Let's say it's 90%. Then plug in a new larger eSATA drive and look at your playlist. It's empty, so record 5 hours on channel 202 and look at the free space now. Let's say it's 95%. That's about all you'll be able to see in terms of capacity ...

#144 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,371 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:35 AM

Note that an external drive doesn't add "additional hard drive space" -- it completely replaces the internal storage.

#145 OFFLINE   ljg1118

ljg1118

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:27 AM

Hi, yes I am aware the e-sata replaces the internal drive.

This is my problem I have had the Seagate Freeagent Pro installed for over a year and all of a sudden my HR20-100 will not recognize it, the Seagate spins, lights up but the hr20-100 is seeing the internal drive only. I have unplugged the HR20, unplugged the free agent, plugged the free agent sata connection, powered up the free agent and then powered up the HR20, and nothing...

Any way to easily test the Freeagent?

#146 ONLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:45 AM

This is my problem I have had the Seagate Freeagent Pro installed for over a year and all of a sudden my HR20-100 will not recognize it, the Seagate spins, lights up but the hr20-100 is seeing the internal drive only. I have unplugged the HR20, unplugged the free agent, plugged the free agent sata connection, powered up the free agent and then powered up the HR20, and nothing...

The best you can do is try it out on a PC to see if it can even be recognized. However, I'm guessing things will likely turn out in the negative on this one.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#147 OFFLINE   ljg1118

ljg1118

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:47 AM

Meaning the Freeagent HD is the culprit?

#148 ONLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:54 AM

Meaning the Freeagent HD is the culprit?

That would be my guess based on the limited information that I have, yes.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#149 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,249 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:19 PM

Put it on a 20-700.

Rich

#150 OFFLINE   ljg1118

ljg1118

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:51 PM

Rich:

Will the drive show up anywhere in the menu of a 20-700?

#151 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,249 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:26 PM

Rich:

Will the drive show up anywhere in the menu of a 20-700?

Assuming you mean the HDD model number, no. There is no means of viewing the capacity of the HDD in use by the HR except for the "Available" meter at the bottom of the Playlist. At least that I know of.

Rich

#152 OFFLINE   ljg1118

ljg1118

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:41 PM

No actually I was reffering to the HD capacity showing up in the menu...

#153 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,249 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:43 AM

No.

Rich

#154 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:52 AM

none of the current receivers show how large the HD is, they only show aprox free space available for recordings...I don't even remember if the Tivo's showed that info if they were running the stock software...

#155 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,249 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:12 AM

none of the current receivers show how large the HD is, they only show aprox free space available for recordings...I don't even remember if the Tivo's showed that info if they were running the stock software...

TiVos showed the total capacity of the HDD, but I don't remember anything like the meter that the HRs have. Personally, I'd rather have the meter.

Rich

#156 OFFLINE   nuspieds

nuspieds

Legend

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:12 PM

Personally, I'd rather have the meter.Rich

Me, too! What I really like is that it includes the utilization for recordings marked as "Keep Until I Delete." Definitely very informative.

Like what was suggested, I did the same thing when I hooked up my WD 2TB drive: After several recordings, especially HD, I definitely saw the difference in the meter.

#157 OFFLINE   jchester

jchester

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:07 PM

Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster....

I found a lot of useful info about esata external drive upgrades on this site, thanks. Thought I'd share my experience, I have an HR-21/200 and I bought a 2TB Seagate ST320005N4A1AS-RK and put it in an Antec MX-1 enclosure. The first time booting it wasn't recognized but the second time it worked. It's been a week, no problems at all.

I picked up the drive at Fry's on sale for $179 and the Antec box for $49.

#158 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:11 PM

I promptly returned it the next day in exchange for the Antec MX-1 and the 2TB WD Caviar Green.

I am now a very happy camper with 2TBs of storage for my HR20-700!! :joy:)!

Is this still working for you? I have the same set-up the only difference is that my 2 TB WD Caviar is the "black" version, which I thought was supposed to be better for video.

It worked OK for about a week but now I'm having audio dropouts (like really bad, unwatchable stuttering just in the soundtrack) and picture freezes/jumps.

I love the idea of having this much storage but does this set-up actually work with the HR20-700?

#159 OFFLINE   nuspieds

nuspieds

Legend

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:14 AM

Is this still working for you?...I love the idea of having this much storage but does this set-up actually work with the HR20-700?

Yes it is...I have had absolutely ZERO issues.

Perhaps there is something wrong with that drive. Is it possible for you to take it back and exchange it (for another black)?

#160 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:28 AM

Is it possible for you to take it back and exchange it (for another black)?

Yes, I just wanted to double check it wasn't because I was using the "black" versus the "green" version before I did that. I had the green in my hand, but the black said better for video and was only $25 more so I went with it. Maybe a bad idea?

spam firewall