Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
2951 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:28 AM

There's a problem with the Black Caviars for some reason. Not the first post that I've read about this and I've read a few reviews that reported the same problems. Take it back and get the Green Caviar with "eads" in the model number.

That HDD should give you no problems.

Rich

Thanks I was afraid of that! That's what I get for "upgrading" and not listening to exact expert advice in the first place, eh? I think I might be stuck with the black too since it's open and I think they will only do even exchange. (I'll try though.)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:47 PM

Thanks I was afraid of that! That's what I get for "upgrading" and not listening to exact expert advice in the first place, eh? I think I might be stuck with the black too since it's open and I think they will only do even exchange. (I'll try though.)

I know folks don't want to hear this, but the ones that DIRECTV recommend are really the right eSATAs. Anything else is simply hit or miss. The recommendations were selected for a reason and that should not be overlooked.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#163 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:01 PM

I know folks don't want to hear this, but the ones that DIRECTV recommend are really the right eSATAs. Anything else is simply hit or miss. The recommendations were selected for a reason and that should not be overlooked.

So you think the green model won't work right either?

#164 OFFLINE   nuspieds

nuspieds

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:45 PM

So you think the green model won't work right either?

I have a green and it does work.

My configuration was based on the following member's specific experiences:

My Books are not supported...the WD solution is called the my dvr extender. its so much less hassle to order a bare bones WD 1-2TB green drive, and put it in an ANTEC MX-1. this combo works with all current HR2x models....

I already had good experiences with WD green drives, so that wasn't an issue. But when I got to Fry's, I saw all sorts of other enclosures. However, I was not in the mood for trial-and-error (even though I figured that the enclosure shouldn't matter), so I stuck with the exact recommendations and got the MX-1.

The end result was a quick and first-time successful installation.

#165 OFFLINE   imfletcher

imfletcher

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:56 PM

I reported in another thread-- not sure which one-- that I have a Seagate Baracuda 1.5 TB mounted in the Antec MX-1 which does record when connected to the HR21/100 BUT on almost every reboot the external drive (the eSATA drive) is reformatted on the bootup which renders it useless. Just to doublecheck on this, I reinstalled it last night and it recorded the programming that I wanted, and tonight I watched the programming. All was well until I forced a reboot on the system and the eSATA drive was once again reformatted erasing all the settings and programming.
?

I have a WD MyBook TiVo Expander edition that i used with my TiVoHD for at least a year with no issues. I swapped out its WD Green 500gb drive for the same Seagate Baracuda 1.5TB drive, and hooked it up to my new HR22-100. I am also seeing the erasing issue. crazy annoying, it took forever to get all my season passes in and now its all gone. appears it will always be wiped. yay

#166 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:54 PM

I have a WD MyBook TiVo Expander edition that i used with my TiVoHD for at least a year with no issues. I swapped out its WD Green 500gb drive for the same Seagate Baracuda 1.5TB drive, and hooked it up to my new HR22-100. I am also seeing the erasing issue. crazy annoying, it took forever to get all my season passes in and now its all gone. appears it will always be wiped. yay

Seagate and 21s don't get along well. The 21s include the 22s, and 23s.

Rich

#167 OFFLINE   imfletcher

imfletcher

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:45 PM

Hmph.. i got through a few restarts without erasing it. still, hard to trust it. i think i'll go sans external rather than gather a bunch of stuff only to randomly lose it

#168 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:10 AM

Hmph.. i got through a few restarts without erasing it. still, hard to trust it. i think i'll go sans external rather than gather a bunch of stuff only to randomly lose it

Or you could try a WD HDD. They work with the 22s.

Rich

#169 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:49 AM

Folks .. I'd like to remind everyone that this thread is started to point out the 4 different eSATAs that DIRECTV recommends which are:

• Western Digital 500GB (model WDG1S5000)
  • Seagate 500GB (model ST30500SCA109-RK)
  • Western Digital 1TB (model WDG1S10000)
  • Seagate 1TB (model ST31000SCA109-RK)
Anything other than those 4 models are not only untested, they are don't include the "special sauce" that helps keep the drive more reliable. If you choose to go with a different model, caveat emptor. The four drives on this list were not randomly selected. They are recommended for a reason.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#170 OFFLINE   imfletcher

imfletcher

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 05:21 PM

Anything other than those 4 models are not only untested, they are don't include the "special sauce" that helps keep the drive more reliable. If you choose to go with a different model, caveat emptor. The four drives on this list were not randomly selected. They are recommended for a reason.

fair enough, can't argue with that :) how often do you suppose new drives will be added to the safe list (i.e. 1.5 and 2TB drives)?

#171 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,568 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:57 AM

fair enough, can't argue with that :) how often do you suppose new drives will be added to the safe list (i.e. 1.5 and 2TB drives)?

The eSATA feature has been enabled for just under three years and the first "official" list came out about two and a half months ago.

Please understand that eSATA remains a "not officially supported by DIRECTV" feature.

#172 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:51 AM

I have a green and it does work.

My configuration was based on the following member's specific experiences:

I already had good experiences with WD green drives, so that wasn't an issue. But when I got to Fry's, I saw all sorts of other enclosures. However, I was not in the mood for trial-and-error (even though I figured that the enclosure shouldn't matter), so I stuck with the exact recommendations and got the MX-1.

The end result was a quick and first-time successful installation.

I traded the 2TB WD black for 2TB WD green and, so far, it's working for me. Fingers crossed that it stays that way. I previously used a 750 GB Seagate Freeagent Pro (not on the list) for a bit more than two years before it failed on this HR20-700. I'm using a 1TB version on another HR20-700 with no issues and, finally, an Accomdata (sp?) 1 TB eSATA external on another. Both have been in use for about a year at this point; again with no problems. It seems pretty hit or miss. (For instance, I started with the same brand/model of 750GB drives on all three and I replaced one, three different times in the first year or so, while the other two, on different units, lasted and lasted with zero problems.)

With this replacement, I've replaced all my external hard drives (three units have them) at least once now, at one point or another, which is a PITA, but better than the old TiVo way of taking the unit apart to replace the internal drive (which had to be specifically formatted) or, in some cases, the entire unit. Yikes!

I LOVE the 2TB of storage. I've downloaded 2 full seasons worth of Dexter and a full season of Weeds IN HD, plus some other HD recordings, and it's only taking up 2 percent of my hard drive. As someone notorious for leaving things on the DVR for a year before I get around to watching it, with things often just going away before I get to them, all that storage is nice.

Now, if only we could get rid of that pesky 50-season-pass limit ...

My son is growing up in a world where he has no idea what channel, or when, anything is on. What he wants to watch is just always available, any time. This is a problem when we're in, say, a hotel. I dare you to try and explain the DVR concept to a 2-1/2 year old who just wants to watch his daily dose of Curious George the instant he wakes up, like he does every other morning.

#173 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:23 AM

The eSATA feature has been enabled for just under three years and the first "official" list came out about two and a half months ago.

Please understand that eSATA remains a "not officially supported by DIRECTV" feature.

That's "official" according to D*, not Seagate. They don't recommend any hard drives or enclosures for DVRs. I've talked to them several times and they're always interested in the DVR market, but they still refuse to recommend any HDDs or eSATAs for DVRs. Is it really possible that D* knows more about HDDs than Seagate?

Rich

#174 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:27 AM

That's "official" according to D*, not Seagate. They don't recommend any hard drives or enclosures for DVRs. I've talked to them several times and they're always interested in the DVR market, but they still refuse to recommend any HDDs or eSATAs for DVRs. Is it really possible that D* knows more about HDDs than Seagate?

Rich

The list is a recommendation for a feature that is technically unsupported .. "official" in any capacity can be debated, but care is taken to make it so the supported drives are on the "safe list" (that's a good name, imfletcher)

#175 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:28 AM

I do not know the answer to this question.

#176 OFFLINE   nuspieds

nuspieds

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:39 PM

I traded the 2TB WD black for 2TB WD green and, so far, it's working for me...I LOVE the 2TB of storage. I've downloaded 2 full seasons worth of Dexter and a full season of Weeds IN HD, plus some other HD recordings, and it's only taking up 2 percent of my hard drive. As someone notorious for leaving things on the DVR for a year before I get around to watching it, with things often just going away before I get to them, all that storage is nice.

Congrats! :hurah:

For me, 1TB was only an option if 2TB wouldn't work. Right from the start I knew I needed 2TB.

In my case, I am sometimes away from home for about a month. Before I got the 2TB, when I would return home for the weekend, the internal hard drive would be somewhere around 97% full! I would then have to scramble to review the recorded shows and do a delete to clean up.

But now that I have the 2TB, I think the most I've seen used so far is 5%--and, as you stated, with lots of HD content!! No more mad rushes to do a clean up. Totally sweet! :)

#177 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:03 PM

As soon as Seagate and WD decide to put them in the Showcase enclosures. Probably not selling enough of them now for them to believe that sticking a larger HDD in the enclosure will generate more sales. The HRs, especially the 20-700s, work quite well with 1.5 and 2TB HDDs.

Rich

#178 OFFLINE   gusmahler

gusmahler

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:38 PM

My son is growing up in a world where he has no idea what channel, or when, anything is on. What he wants to watch is just always available, any time. This is a problem when we're in, say, a hotel. I dare you to try and explain the DVR concept to a 2-1/2 year old who just wants to watch his daily dose of Curious George the instant he wakes up, like he does every other morning.

I know exactly what you're talking about. The first time we were watching TV without a DVR, my daughter asked me to fast forward it when we got to a commercial. She's gotten used to the past 6 months without a DVR, but we'll have a DVR up and running (with a 1 TB drive!) later this week.

#179 OFFLINE   jct9841

jct9841

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:04 PM

Hello all,

Just discovered this thread and am anxious to add a drive for more recording room and to silence the noisy internal drive.

Read this on Amazon: (anyone experience this?)

By R. Southern "R Southern" (Louisiana) - See all my reviews
I purchased the Seagate Showcase DVR Storage Expander model ST31000SCA109-RK as advertised on the Directv website. I hooked it up as per installation instructions to my Directv DVR Model HR22-100 and it disabled the internal hard drive so that all of the previous recordings on the internal hard drive were not accessible. Then I began to put new recordings from that point on the new seagate 1TB eSATA hard drive. Then every time Directv does a software update all of the recordings on the seagate harddrive are deleted. I contacted directv and they are absolutely no help at all in the matter of external hard drives. The personnel at directv would only state that they Do Not Support The CONNECTION OF AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE even though they advertize it on their website. Do not even waste your time contacting Directv. I tried to resolve the problem with Seagate and they stated that it is not a problem with the hard drive it is a problem with Directv.
I am completly disappointed in Directv as I have been a Directv customer since it started and now have a $200 hard drive that is useless. Do yourself a favor DO NOT HOOK UP AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE TO DIRECTV RECEIVERS!!!!!!!

#180 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 October 2009 - 05:52 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss, I've been running an eSATA setup almost since day 1 of having my HR20(3 years next month), started with a 500GB WD in an Antec MX-1. moved to a 1TB about a year ago, and a 1.5 TB about 6 months ago, never have lost recordings due to the reboot when new software goes out. Personally I think you have a problematic Seagate drive because that shouldnt happen...But I refuse to use Seagate products exactly because of these types of posts, the FAP's, the Calvary's, the Extremes, no thanks, I'll stick with the WD and the Antec...

spam firewall