Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
2943 replies to this topic

#1961 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,710 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

You mean RAID 1, right?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1962 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:11 PM

Oops, mistyped (I corrected that post).

#1963 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,710 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:16 PM

I figured. RAID 0 is horrid for when you don't want to lose data :)

#1964 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,091 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

The truth is that you can use the method for copying an internal drive to manually back up (copy) your recordings.

Depending on what you want to keep backed up, a weekly or monthly copy might be worth doing.

#1965 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,440 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

With the old drive in the docking station, I amazed how often it is accessed by the DVR. It's almost constant. Does anybody use multiple drives with the docking station (Ex - one drive for long term storage?)

Bill

No, don't go there.

Rich

#1966 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,793 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:54 PM

RAID-1 would be the answer...

RAID 1 is the best possible method to protect yourself from a drive going bad, and I'm running a RAID 1 enclosure on one of my units, however that still doesn't help you if the DVR itself goes kaput.

This thread actually reminded me... I just ordered another RAID 1 enclosure for my new HR34.

Edited by RunnerFL, 20 February 2012 - 03:00 PM.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#1967 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,022 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

RAID 1 is the best possible method to protect yourself from a drive going bad, and I'm running a RAID 1 enclosure on one of my units, however that still doesn't help you if the DVR itself goes kaput.

This thread actually reminded me... I just ordered another RAID 1 enclosure for my new HR34.

Which raid enclosure do you use?

#1968 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,793 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

Which raid enclosure do you use?

http://www.amazon.co...s00_i00_details
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#1969 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

Don't forget to read all one-star feedbacks: http://www.amazon.co...erBy=addOneStar

#1970 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,793 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

Don't forget to read all one-star feedbacks: http://www.amazon.co...erBy=addOneStar

That feedback has NOTHING to do with this unit. It talks about the LCD readout and if you read about the product you'll see it has NO LCD readout.

Not to mention 1 star ratings on Amazon are normally put there by people who have no clue what they are doing.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#1971 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

LCD ? You should read before disguise these reports:

I purchased this unit to use as external storage for a DIRECTV DVR running Linux. Worked fine for about 14 months and then quit working.

Tried two units, both had problems. Errors. Unacceptable for a RAID unit needed for reliablity.

#1972 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,793 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

LCD ? You should read before disguise these reports:

I purchased this unit to use as external storage for a DIRECTV DVR running Linux. Worked fine for about 14 months and then quit working.

Had you actually read the next sentence it says "The LCD displays I2C ERROR !!!!!". There is NO LCD display on this device. The feedback left does NOT apply.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#1973 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:52 AM

Had you actually read the next sentence it says "The LCD displays I2C ERROR !!!!!". There is NO LCD display on this device. The feedback left does NOT apply.

I suspect the reviewer meant to post his comment for the MS2UT+, which has an LCD display, but instead posted his review in the MS2UTN+ by accident. I agree it's unlikely that review applies to the MS2UTN+.

Either way, IMHO, four reviews isn't enough to give me a good picture of the reliability of the device.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#1974 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,793 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:08 AM

Either way, IMHO, four reviews isn't enough to give me a good picture of the reliability of the device.

I've had mine for several months now and not had any issues. The first one I received was bad but that's because it got messed up in shipping.

Also, Amazon isn't the only place to read reviews and find info on this device. :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#1975 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,549 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

What method do you propose for these backups?

I don't propose that you back up your everyday programming. If there is something you want to archive, I suggest you put it on a different drive and make a backup copy of that. There are several competent cloning programs and some of them do incremental backups.

For the few that have only one DVR, it would certainly be problematic but I'm guessing the percentage of those households is pretty small.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#1976 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,440 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

That feedback has NOTHING to do with this unit. It talks about the LCD readout and if you read about the product you'll see it has NO LCD readout.

Not to mention 1 star ratings on Amazon are normally put there by people who have no clue what they are doing.

Now, that is a MASSIVE understatement! I read the 1 Star reviews just for laughs.

Rich

#1977 OFFLINE   MrFubar1961

MrFubar1961

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:05 AM

Hi all...great thread, but it'd be tough to go through almost 2,000 posts. Looked at the first post, see that it hasn't been updated, went through the last four pages...

I have an HR21-700. I'd like to go and buy an eSata external drive, so I'm looking for a recommendation for both a drive, and a place to buy. I've been a DirecTV customer for 13 years, and finally am opting for external storage. Woo hoo.

Thanks in advance for some assistance.

#1978 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,673 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:14 AM

It probably would be a good idea to retire this thread (almost 3 years old!) and replace it with one for this decade! :P

Just need someone to volunteer who has a good handle on the current recommended drives ...

#1979 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

Too many combination of DVR models, HDD models and enclosures, adding to that - new HDD popping up and new enclosures too.

It is normal course to have long thread - each one should walk own mile or hire a consultant who will spend same amount of time for reading and research but for money.

#1980 OFFLINE   MrFubar1961

MrFubar1961

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

each one should walk own mile or hire a consultant who will spend same amount of time for reading and research but for money.

Sorry, but, that's a lousy attitude. I'm happy that you've spent the last 10 years as a member of this forum and amassed 10,000+ posts. I too have forums where I've been a member for many, many years, but, instead of turning off new members like you have just done with me, I spend the extra few minutes using my knowledge and experience to help the person, and hopefully cultivate them into the flock. You obviously prefer not to do this. If you speak for others here, then I apologize for my newbie entrance to your clique, asking what I thought would be a simple question given the parameters of my post. I'll find my answers elsewhere. Adios.

spam firewall