Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ESPN Gameplan 2009 in HD???

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:51 AM

The formerly 12:30 Raycom syndicated SEC game (now part of the ESPN syndicated package) will probably still be a part of Gameplan.

I think these are the games that Cox/Comcast Sports purchased. I wrote to my local RSN (CSN Bay Area), they said they're looking at picking these games up as well. I would imagine these would be a hot property for RSN's to show if they are not showing "local" games already. Here in Nor Cal/NV we have two RSN's that are connected (CSN Bay Area and CA). There's only so many Cal/$tanford/Fresno/SJ St/NV games they can show. CSN Bay Area also fills in with FSN games as well, but that leaves CSN CA wide open for more games. I guess we'll have to wait and see towards August what happens.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   Red Dog

Red Dog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:50 AM

I think these are the games that Cox/Comcast Sports purchased. I wrote to my local RSN (CSN Bay Area), they said they're looking at picking these games up as well. I would imagine these would be a hot property for RSN's to show if they are not showing "local" games already. Here in Nor Cal/NV we have two RSN's that are connected (CSN Bay Area and CA). There's only so many Cal/$tanford/Fresno/SJ St/NV games they can show. CSN Bay Area also fills in with FSN games as well, but that leaves CSN CA wide open for more games. I guess we'll have to wait and see towards August what happens.

They will be on RSNs in some areas of the Southeast and on OTA affiliates in some markets - just like the Raycom package was.

#23 ONLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,169 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:42 PM

:wave:

Does anybody know if ESPN Gameplan will be in HD this year?? I am an Oklahoma fan but i live in Georgia, so I have to get Gameplan for those regional ABC games. Pretty much, all of Oklahoma's games on ABC are in HD but because i live in Georgia i get some crappy ACC game in HD on my ABC channel. So, I go to my gameplan channel for the ABC Regional Oklahoma game which is supposed to be in HD but its not, because Gameplan is not in HD! I can't stand to watch Oklahoma kick Texas A&M's butt in SD! it sucks!!!!! So, does anybody know if i can get my regional abc hd game on gameplan in hd this year?? Will ESPN Gameplan for the 2009 season be in HD??? Please somebody tell me!

Perhaps I Misremembered.

#24 OFFLINE   rkunces

rkunces

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:00 PM

You guys mentioned the ABC regionals in HD, but so are the Raycom games and some of the Sun PPV games of Florida and FSU. There may not be alot of content but their is a decent amount of games in HD for this package to show. HD would be the only way I'd get this package because of the lack of games available on it.

#25 OFFLINE   dhines

dhines

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:08 PM

You guys mentioned the ABC regionals in HD, but so are the Raycom games and some of the Sun PPV games of Florida and FSU. There may not be alot of content but their is a decent amount of games in HD for this package to show. HD would be the only way I'd get this package because of the lack of games available on it.

i was mainly referring to the WAC games . . . i don't think they are done in HD, therefore there is no way that it could be 100% HD. but, there is definitely a lot of HD games they could broadcast. personally i would only be concerned with the ABC games (as i am a Pac10 guy), but as an avid fan of USC living in the LA area i am lucky as my games are always broadcast.
nothing like having way too much sports programming . . .

(see profile for equipment)

Posted Image

#26 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:57 PM

Does anybody know if ESPN Gameplan will be in HD this year?? I am an Oklahoma fan but i live in Georgia, so I have to get Gameplan for those regional ABC games. Pretty much, all of Oklahoma's games on ABC are in HD but because i live in Georgia i get some crappy ACC game in HD on my ABC channel. So, I go to my gameplan channel for the ABC Regional Oklahoma game which is supposed to be in HD but its not, because Gameplan is not in HD! I can't stand to watch Oklahoma kick Texas A&M's butt in SD! it sucks!!!!! So, does anybody know if i can get my regional abc hd game on gameplan in hd this year?? Will ESPN Gameplan for the 2009 season be in HD??? Please somebody tell me!

Dish is a bit cheaper.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#27 OFFLINE   GenTso

GenTso

Legend

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 01:15 PM

Technically there are no Raycom games. The SEC has a new contract with ESPN giving them rights to the early game. It may show up on a local affiliate (syndicated) or on an RSN or on ESPNU (in that order). I'm not real happy with the way the SEC has done this. Even though the conference is swimming in money they've made it difficult for fans to determine where or how they'll see the games in advance.

I'd like to know if my local syndicated affiliate has picked up broadcast rights, but there's absolutely no news on that. So if you want to prepare in advance, see if you'll be able to view the game in HD, whether you might need to get an OTA antenna if it is being broadcast locally in HD (but not in HD on D*) then you're SOL. It bothers me to no end that Big Ten fans with D* know that they'll either be on BTN, ESPN or ABC each and every week. Meanwhile the SEC signs a big contract for oodles of money and takes it to the bank. What do they care: let someone else worry about it. I blame the SEC for this, not D*, BTW. The SEC probably made a wise move by not creating its own network, but should have come up with a better plan to make sure fans receive the best content. Some of the local affiliates syndicating the Raycom/LF broacasts in recent years might as well have been showing a game from the early 1990s. It's ridiculous that you can live in Alabama's second-largest market and not see a decent broadcast of an SEC game.

From my limited understanding of this "deal," this is how SEC games will break down week to week:

1: CBS 2:30
2: ESPN night
3: ESPN2 night
4: ESPN Regional (11:21 syndicated)
5: ESPNU/Classic
6: CSS or Fox Sports Net

CSS/FSN each get a minimum 6 games per season for a 12 game minimum (over 13 weeks)

Here's the information from the SEC:
http://secsports.com...ange_well_id=2

Edited by GenTso, 04 July 2009 - 01:22 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 01:22 PM

i was mainly referring to the WAC games . . . i don't think they are done in HD, therefore there is no way that it could be 100% HD. but, there is definitely a lot of HD games they could broadcast. personally i would only be concerned with the ABC games (as i am a Pac10 guy), but as an avid fan of USC living in the LA area i am lucky as my games are always broadcast.

You're lucky. I'm a Duck fan and we could be a top 5 team and we will still have at least 2 games a year not televised because ABC and FSN choose to show Washington or UCLA instead of us. Also, the Pac-10 regional ABC game was never in HD last year even here on the west coast. It was always SD for some reason.

#29 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:18 PM

You're lucky. I'm a Duck fan and we could be a top 5 team and we will still have at least 2 games a year not televised because ABC and FSN choose to show Washington or UCLA instead of us.

UCLA is in the top college football TV market on the west coast, and close to that nationwide, so it is a no brainer UCLA games are on. Washington is a decent size TV market and the largest market for FSN-NW. Add in the fact that many of the games FSN-NW picked up were against teams in pretty good size markets themselves, which also brings viewers.

Also consider that Oregon chose to put it's games on CSN-NW, a channel few get. Last year I had to watch some of the games on the out of town RSNs....pretty sad when your own market cannot get the games live. (A total sell out by Pat Kilkenny, who screwed the long time fans in his quest for cash.) In order for those games last year that weren't televised to be televised it required a waiver from FSN. FSN is not going to give a waiver to CSN, period. CSN drives up the prices and FSN is not going to go out of its way to help them. Ducks may have lined extra cash, but screwed us all in the end.

By the way, the Ducks are NOT a top 5 team. There may be one analyst that put them there, but there are plenty that also say they are much lower than that - and still some that say they'll have an off year. Last year they had two good games, blew the Boise State game badly, looked horrible in the USC game, dropped to Cal in the rain, blew a 48 point lead against AZ and barely won 56-48 or something like that. They really had a good game against OSU, but that really was it to be honest. New coach Chip Kelly may have been a good offensive coordinator, but can he handle the whole team? We'll see.....

#30 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:14 PM

UCLA is in the top college football TV market on the west coast, and close to that nationwide, so it is a no brainer UCLA games are on. Washington is a decent size TV market and the largest market for FSN-NW. Add in the fact that many of the games FSN-NW picked up were against teams in pretty good size markets themselves, which also brings viewers.

Also consider that Oregon chose to put it's games on CSN-NW, a channel few get. Last year I had to watch some of the games on the out of town RSNs....pretty sad when your own market cannot get the games live. (A total sell out by Pat Kilkenny, who screwed the long time fans in his quest for cash.) In order for those games last year that weren't televised to be televised it required a waiver from FSN. FSN is not going to give a waiver to CSN, period. CSN drives up the prices and FSN is not going to go out of its way to help them. Ducks may have lined extra cash, but screwed us all in the end.

By the way, the Ducks are NOT a top 5 team. There may be one analyst that put them there, but there are plenty that also say they are much lower than that - and still some that say they'll have an off year. Last year they had two good games, blew the Boise State game badly, looked horrible in the USC game, dropped to Cal in the rain, blew a 48 point lead against AZ and barely won 56-48 or something like that. They really had a good game against OSU, but that really was it to be honest. New coach Chip Kelly may have been a good offensive coordinator, but can he handle the whole team? We'll see.....

They had a pretty good game against Oregon State too ;)

I was more referring to 2007 when we WERE a top 5 team and had 2 games not televised in a three week span. That was BEFORE the CSN-NW deal. I do think that Oregon will be a top 10 team this year, though, but that's another argument.

#31 OFFLINE   rkunces

rkunces

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:36 PM

Technically there are no Raycom games. The SEC has a new contract with ESPN giving them rights to the early game. It may show up on a local affiliate (syndicated) or on an RSN or on ESPNU (in that order). I'm not real happy with the way the SEC has done this. Even though the conference is swimming in money they've made it difficult for fans to determine where or how they'll see the games in advance.

I'd like to know if my local syndicated affiliate has picked up broadcast rights, but there's absolutely no news on that. So if you want to prepare in advance, see if you'll be able to view the game in HD, whether you might need to get an OTA antenna if it is being broadcast locally in HD (but not in HD on D*) then you're SOL. It bothers me to no end that Big Ten fans with D* know that they'll either be on BTN, ESPN or ABC each and every week. Meanwhile the SEC signs a big contract for oodles of money and takes it to the bank. What do they care: let someone else worry about it. I blame the SEC for this, not D*, BTW. The SEC probably made a wise move by not creating its own network, but should have come up with a better plan to make sure fans receive the best content. Some of the local affiliates syndicating the Raycom/LF broacasts in recent years might as well have been showing a game from the early 1990s. It's ridiculous that you can live in Alabama's second-largest market and not see a decent broadcast of an SEC game.

From my limited understanding of this "deal," this is how SEC games will break down week to week:

CSS/FSN each get a minimum 6 games per season for a 12 game minimum (over 13 weeks)

I know the SEC got the deal done with ESPN but did the ACC leave Raycom as well? If so its a shame because the HD broadcasts are actually pretty good. The SD broadcasts used to be horrendous. The picture quality was awful.

#32 OFFLINE   MrMars

MrMars

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:26 AM

I know the SEC got the deal done with ESPN but did the ACC leave Raycom as well? If so its a shame because the HD broadcasts are actually pretty good. The SD broadcasts used to be horrendous. The picture quality was awful.

No they didn't, Raycom will still have the weekly ACC game in HD.

#33 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:15 PM

They had a pretty good game against Oregon State too ;)

I was more referring to 2007 when we WERE a top 5 team and had 2 games not televised in a three week span. That was BEFORE the CSN-NW deal. I do think that Oregon will be a top 10 team this year, though, but that's another argument.

I did acknowledge the Oregon State game!!

Top 10? I just don't see it. They lost a lot of guys this past year. I am wondering if Chip Kelley can handle the head coaching duties as well.....

#34 OFFLINE   mgoblue99

mgoblue99

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:01 AM

Any word if the reverse mirror games are going to be in HD this year? It was an issue last year, and even though my local cable company gave the reverse mirror game in HD, D* didn't always offer the HD feed. Any info would be appreciated.

#35 OFFLINE   kenpac89

kenpac89

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:59 AM

This is essentially how it is done in the ACC. We don't find out where the games will be on TV until 1-2 weeks ahead of time. And, that also impacts the actual times of the games. We only get 1-2 weeks to plan going to the games...at least for conference games, non-conference games are already set for the most part.

#36 OFFLINE   aa9vi

aa9vi

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:02 AM

UCLA is in the top college football TV market on the west coast, and close to that nationwide, so it is a no brainer UCLA games are on.

I seriously doubt that. Explain the NBC contract for Notre Dame then. I would bet USC gets better ratings than UCLA. When is the last time UCLA even won that conference?

Just seems hard for me to believe that people in the PAC-10 are nearly as avid as SEC fans. Do the vast majority of people in LA really care about college football or is it something to do when you're bored?

#37 OFFLINE   mpar1

mpar1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:28 AM

They care when USC is winning.

#38 OFFLINE   NewMexiCat

NewMexiCat

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:00 AM

I just called and cancelled my GamePlan subscription after having subscribed for many years. Since the SportsPack is part of my sub package, I've noticed over the last couple years that many of the GP games can be found on the RSNs without blackout, so the value of GP has really diminished. Occassionally, there is a regional ABC game that I couldn't otherwise see, but being a Big 12 fan bordering a Big 12 state, I get most of those games in my market. The ONLY thing that would cause me to reconsider subscribing would be a big push toward games in HD. HD is the only angle that would make ESPN GamePlan (and FullCourt, for that matter) relevant again.

#39 OFFLINE   Madison Hawk

Madison Hawk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:04 PM

The new SEC deal is a significant improvement over the current one (many games were not televised or only on PPV) but I am surprised that SEC did not launch their own network which would have prevented many of the problems identified above. Further, while the money for the new SEC deal is very good, on a per team basis the Big Ten's schools make the same amount as the SEC. The difference is that at the end of the agreements, the Big Ten owns 51% of a very valuable media asset that it can use as leverage in future television negotiations while the SEC merely helped enhance the value of ESPNU by growing its distribution.

#40 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:06 PM

I seriously doubt that. Explain the NBC contract for Notre Dame then. I would bet USC gets better ratings than UCLA. When is the last time UCLA even won that conference?

Just seems hard for me to believe that people in the PAC-10 are nearly as avid as SEC fans. Do the vast majority of people in LA really care about college football or is it something to do when you're bored?

I never said UCLA was tops. I said the LA TV market was tops. There are MORE people in LA than Birmingham, AL, New Orelans, LA, Atlanta, and so forth.

Even IF the whole state of Alabama was on TV, LA is still bigger, like it or not. S Cal is also a highly educated poplulation compared to the deep south.

No doubt SEC is tops for football and no doubt that people watch the games. But the LA tv market is bigger.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...