Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ESPN Gameplan 2009 in HD???

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:34 PM

I just called and cancelled my GamePlan subscription after having subscribed for many years. Since the SportsPack is part of my sub package, I've noticed over the last couple years that many of the GP games can be found on the RSNs without blackout, so the value of GP has really diminished. Occassionally, there is a regional ABC game that I couldn't otherwise see, but being a Big 12 fan bordering a Big 12 state, I get most of those games in my market. The ONLY thing that would cause me to reconsider subscribing would be a big push toward games in HD. HD is the only angle that would make ESPN GamePlan (and FullCourt, for that matter) relevant again.

I thought (and I could be completely wrong) that you didn't have those games blacked out because of having the gameplan

Am I wrong?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:42 AM

Any word if the reverse mirror games are going to be in HD this year? It was an issue last year, and even though my local cable company gave the reverse mirror game in HD, D* didn't always offer the HD feed. Any info would be appreciated.

Ok, here's how the reverse mirror works. You have two games. One game is "primarily carried" on ESPN/2 while the second is "primarily carried" on ABC. So if you live in a market where the "primarily carried" ABC game is on your ABC affiliate, you get the ESPN/2 game in HD. If you live in a market where the game "primarily carried" on ESPN/2 is on your ABC affiliate, then you get the "primarily carried" ABC game in SD on an alternate feed for ESPN/2.

So the only chance you have in seeing both games in HD is to be a market where the ESPN HD feed isn't blacked out. This, of course, assumes they don't provide alternate HD uplinks this fall, which is a VERY good assumption.

See this site for a good example. The Utah/Michigan game was listed as ESPN2HD which meant it was carried on the primary channel. So if you lived in an region that got the Utah/Michigan game on ABC, then you saw USC/Virginia on the ESPN2 alternate feed.

I thought (and I could be completely wrong) that you didn't have those games blacked out because of having the gameplan

Am I wrong?

Well, you're wrong. The college football games on the sports pack are not blacked out. The only benefit I could see in the GamePlan last year were the syndicated games (Raycom or PPV) and the regional ABC games not carried on the reverse mirror. I have found that only pro sports are subject to black out on the sports pack.

#43 OFFLINE   JonSamuels

JonSamuels

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:15 AM

I have found that only pro sports are subject to black out on the sports pack.

Not entirely true. Some conferences will have blackouts on college basketball on Sports Pack. The SEC has done it in the past. Of course that will probably change somehow this year with the new ESPN deal.

#44 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:19 AM

Not entirely true. Some conferences will have blackouts on college basketball on Sports Pack. The SEC has done it in the past. Of course that will probably change somehow this year with the new ESPN deal.

Ha, I don't watch basketball too often. I stand corrected.

#45 OFFLINE   hancox

hancox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:19 AM

The new SEC deal is a significant improvement over the current one (many games were not televised or only on PPV) but I am surprised that SEC did not launch their own network which would have prevented many of the problems identified above. Further, while the money for the new SEC deal is very good, on a per team basis the Big Ten's schools make the same amount as the SEC. The difference is that at the end of the agreements, the Big Ten owns 51% of a very valuable media asset that it can use as leverage in future television negotiations while the SEC merely helped enhance the value of ESPNU by growing its distribution.

An outright excellent description of what happened. Kudos!

And you're 10000000% right about ESPNU - this coming from a UConn fan - the official university of ESPNU football (until Comcast got it). :)

#46 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:59 AM

The new SEC deal is a significant improvement over the current one (many games were not televised or only on PPV) but I am surprised that SEC did not launch their own network which would have prevented many of the problems identified above. Further, while the money for the new SEC deal is very good, on a per team basis the Big Ten's schools make the same amount as the SEC. The difference is that at the end of the agreements, the Big Ten owns 51% of a very valuable media asset that it can use as leverage in future television negotiations while the SEC merely helped enhance the value of ESPNU by growing its distribution.

Another difference is the BigTen's deal makes every home football game nationally televised without the need to subscribe to ESPN GamePlan which provides more exposure. That actually means something now that the big cable companies have worked out deals for BTN.

#47 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:29 PM

Wheh, I knew I wasn't crazy :lol:

#48 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:18 PM

I just called and cancelled my GamePlan subscription after having subscribed for many years. Since the SportsPack is part of my sub package, I've noticed over the last couple years that many of the GP games can be found on the RSNs without blackout, so the value of GP has really diminished. Occassionally, there is a regional ABC game that I couldn't otherwise see, but being a Big 12 fan bordering a Big 12 state, I get most of those games in my market. The ONLY thing that would cause me to reconsider subscribing would be a big push toward games in HD. HD is the only angle that would make ESPN GamePlan (and FullCourt, for that matter) relevant again.

I called this week and also cancelled GP for the same reason. If I see that GP will be HD this season, I might call back and get it turned back on. Like you said, that occasional ABC regional game isn't enough for me to keep GP this year. Over the past 2-3 years I've watched GP less than previous years.

It's hard for me to see why a lot of the Big 12 games weren't in HD last season.
DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

#49 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:40 PM

The Choice is very simple for me. I cancelled ESPN Gameplan. The Games are not in HD and last year some of the ESPN Gameplan games were actually available on the Sportspack alone. Channels like MASN from Baltimore and Altitude Sports from Denver were carrying many of the Big 12 games in the clear. I remember watching some games and flipping over to Gameplan last year and it would be the exact same game available. And besides i found myself not even watching Gameplan games because my local CBS Carried the SEC Game of the week in HD, and then my local ABC Affilliate carried the ABC Games those too were in HD also, including the games available on ESPN2, and the Big 10 Channels. ESPN Gameplan is a waste now of about $115 dollars unless there is a die hard fan of a conference where you live out of say an area like ACC Territory where a fan somewhere would want to see an ACC Game that is only carried in ACC Territory, ESPN Gameplan is a waste of money in my honest opinion now a days. Just another note that last year ESPNews channel 207 actually carried some games Live when it got down to like the last 2 minutes of a game. I watched the end of Several SEC Games last year on ESPNews channel 207 in HD because the local SEC Channel that was carrying the SEC Game of the week from Raycom Sports was not carried in HD in my local market. ESPN is the best source for College Footall in the Fall now and for me i just can't justify spending the money for ESPN Gameplan.

#50 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:44 PM

GamePlan has sucked the last few years as the games are unwatchable in SD. It was rumored that there might be some games in HD last season, but it never came to pass. And I doubt we'll see any games in HD this year as it doesn't even sound like they will have ESPNU in HD until next year. I think D* is tapped out on bandwidth until D13 goes live. Apparently they get enough subscriptions that they don't feel the need to be creative and find the room for HD feeds.

#51 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:34 AM

GamePlan has sucked the last few years as the games are unwatchable in SD. It was rumored that there might be some games in HD last season, but it never came to pass. And I doubt we'll see any games in HD this year as it doesn't even sound like they will have ESPNU in HD until next year. I think D* is tapped out on bandwidth until D13 goes live. Apparently they get enough subscriptions that they don't feel the need to be creative and find the room for HD feeds.

Espn does not even up link all games in HD and you do see a bit of stuff on espn1 HD and espn2 HD that is not in HD.

#52 ONLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:58 AM

I never said UCLA was tops. I said the LA TV market was tops. There are MORE people in LA than Birmingham, AL, New Orelans, LA, Atlanta, and so forth.

Even IF the whole state of Alabama was on TV, LA is still bigger, like it or not. S Cal is also a highly educated poplulation compared to the deep south.

No doubt SEC is tops for football and no doubt that people watch the games. But the LA tv market is bigger.

Hopfully ESPNU HD will be on D & E by mid August to enjoy.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#53 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:40 PM

If Directv can play all the baseball games in HD there certainly is enough bandwidth to accomodate a day of college football; maybe it would be tight in September, but after that it's smooth sailing. That's probably not the issue. Directv could also back off on all the PPV movies it has on a Saturday. There are options, but the games need to be available in HD to them.

This is my first year on Directv, but when I used to subscribe to the sports package on Dish I used to receive most out of market games on the RSNs in HD. Is that the same here at Directv?

#54 OFFLINE   jonkeee

jonkeee

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:53 PM

One would think taking some of those pointless PPV channels off the satellites and trumping every other provider with more HD channels would be more profitable in the long run. Especially now that they have VOD PPV.

#55 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:17 AM

As it has been said, ESPN would first need to provide the feeds to DirecTV (or any other provider that offers ESPN GamePlan) so they can pass it along to us. I imagine that ESPN isn't really making enough money off of this product to consider upgrading their service.

#56 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:22 AM

Gameplan was awesome back in 1997 when I first tried it out. I still remember watching Marshall at Army and seeing Randy Moss for my first time. Less games received national coverage back then. Today, every worthy game is shown nationally.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#57 OFFLINE   mlb

mlb

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:28 AM

I decided against the Gameplan this year. I have had it for the past 3 years, but last year every game I wanted to see I could find in the Sports pack channels (600 level). I think there may have been 1 or 2 games a week that were part of the gameplan that I couldn't get OTA or on the sports pack.

#58 OFFLINE   nitty316

nitty316

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:40 AM

I decided against the Gameplan this year. I have had it for the past 3 years, but last year every game I wanted to see I could find in the Sports pack channels (600 level). I think there may have been 1 or 2 games a week that were part of the gameplan that I couldn't get OTA or on the sports pack.

I thought those games were blacked out in the Sportspack. I could be wrong though. I know I tried to turn it to different feeds of the games on Gameplan that were on Sportspack and they were blacked out.

#59 OFFLINE   mlb

mlb

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:50 AM

SNYHD gets all of the Big East games of the week, never blacked out. If 1 channel is blacked out you typically can find another that isn't further down the list of channels.

#60 OFFLINE   Red Dog

Red Dog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:18 AM

SNYHD gets all of the Big East games of the week, never blacked out. If 1 channel is blacked out you typically can find another that isn't further down the list of channels.

MASN is the same way.

I was kind of hoping MASN would dump Big East football (since except for WVU, there really isn't much interest in Big East football in the MASN footprint) and see if they could get the SEC package.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...