Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ESPN Gameplan 2009 in HD???

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,068 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:44 PM

I have D*, but I'm planning to cancel, too. Last year I noticed how much college football there was on CBS, ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, Big 10 Network, CBS College Sports and the local RSN among others (most of them in HD). Seems like there ought to be enough to choose from, even if I don't sometimes get that one game I wanted to see most (and as a Verizon DSL customer I get ESPN360, too, and maybe some of those games on GamePlan will be there).

And with ESPNU now moved to the D* basic tier (i.e. not part of a premium sports package), there should be plenty of college football available without dropping a C-note on it.

http://www.multichan...ngton_State.php

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,791 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:09 PM

http://www.multichan...ngton_State.php

You mean ESPNU-HD?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#63 OFFLINE   Jestr40

Jestr40

Godfather

• Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:50 PM

Looks like we will get ALOT of SEC football (IN HD) even without Gameplan...especially if you live in the south!!!

http://sportsillustr...espn/index.html

http://www.secsports...hange_well_id=2

#64 OFFLINE   Jestr40

Jestr40

Godfather

• Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:57 AM

This is not totally related to D* but ESPN360 is up and available for COMCAST broadband customers as of now. No Gameplan on D* for me this year.

#65 OFFLINE   mpar1

mpar1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for the heads-up.

#66 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:27 PM

If Directv can play all the baseball games in HD there certainly is enough bandwidth to accomodate a day of college football; maybe it would be tight in September, but after that it's smooth sailing. That's probably not the issue. Directv could also back off on all the PPV movies it has on a Saturday. There are options, but the games need to be available in HD to them.

The HD for MLB goes to the NFL Sunday Ticket, and in the past they haven't shared those feeds with Saturday football.

This is my first year on Directv, but when I used to subscribe to the sports package on Dish I used to receive most out of market games on the RSNs in HD. Is that the same here at Directv?

Yes. If the game is in HD on one of the RSNs then you'll have access to it on the Sports Pack. And D* have several of the RSNs in HD 24/7 now, and alternate HD channels for the others.

#67 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:32 PM

Espn does not even up link all games in HD and you do see a bit of stuff on espn1 HD and espn2 HD that is not in HD.

True. But the point was they don't even provide HD games to GamePlan that are broadcast in HD on D*. All games on GamePlan are SD (and look terrible on an HDTV). I just saw this years ad and there was not one mention of any game in HD, so it's another year I won't be subscribing.

#68 OFFLINE   oklahoma258

oklahoma258

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:45 PM

yeah ive been seeing the commercials too and their not in hd which 95% means that gameplan will not be in hd, ill still buy it but it will look terrible on my 42 inch uhhhhh :(

#69 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:35 PM

I canceled GamePlan after several years. After upgrading to HD, you just can't watch sports in SD, especially with how badly D* compresses those channels. I subscribed last season after there was a buzz that some games would be in HD. That never happened and nobody is even talking about that possibility this year. We probably won't even get ESPNU in HD for football season. Hopefully when the new satellite is lit up D* will get off its butt and start adding HD again...

#70 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 831 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:46 PM

It's bad enough that the Pac-10 game on ABC at 3:30/12:30 is never in HD for some reason.

#71 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:44 PM

I canceled GamePlan after several years. After upgrading to HD, you just can't watch sports in SD, especially with how badly D* compresses those channels. I subscribed last season after there was a buzz that some games would be in HD. That never happened and nobody is even talking about that possibility this year. We probably won't even get ESPNU in HD for football season. Hopefully when the new satellite is lit up D* will get off its butt and start adding HD again...

+1. I was a GP subs since I started with DTV until this season. I dropped it partially to trim the DTV bill some but the other reason was the same, SD feeds everywhere. If I hear that this fall's feeds are mostly HD, I might jump back in there. After watching those 'Bama Raycom feeds last year....:nono2:

But with the new ESPN contract, maybe it'll be a better picture this season.
DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

#72 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:43 AM

Hey, has anyone been billed for auto renewal for GamePlan yet. Seems like we should have by now and have not.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#73 OFFLINE   nitty316

nitty316

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:59 AM

I got billed and it looks like they are billing it in 4 increments of $28.99.

#74 OFFLINE   oklahoma258

oklahoma258

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:23 PM

i think some of the games will be in hd and some will not beacuse i looked on the directv.com gameplan schedule and it said SD channel and HD channel for each game so im getting my hopes up!!!

#75 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:44 PM

i think some of the games will be in hd and some will not beacuse i looked on the directv.com gameplan schedule and it said SD channel and HD channel for each game so im getting my hopes up!!!

Oh, You should know better than that. :lol:
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#76 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:46 PM

Wow, you are right, it does have a column for HD CHannel, but there is nothing there of course, not even a TBD like in the SD Channel column. https://www.directv....eplan_schedules
I attached a screenshot in case they change it.

Talk about hitting below the belt. To have that up there if they have no intention of delivering anything in HD is pretty crappy. Kind of like their false advertisements about the Mix channels going all the way to the edge of an HDTV when the mixes are in SD and leave more blank than picture.

Attached Thumbnails

• gameplan sched.JPG

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#77 OFFLINE   dgparent

dgparent

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:30 AM

I think I will be cancelling also - the main reason I had it was for all the games - but with the BTN + ESPN SEC contract + Local ACC programming there is no need for it. My wife's team is Marshall and we used to get a lot of their games on gameplan but they moved to CONF USA and gameplan does not cover it so there is no real purpose on spending 129.00 a year on it.

They really need to revisit the whole Gameplan thing. Have ESPN do a contract with NCAA or who ever and broadcast like 50 games on Saturdays - make it 199 a year - if you could get any game that is televised any place in the country, provided it is not blacked out in your area, would you pay 199 for it ?

I would.

#78 OFFLINE   Dcm210

Dcm210

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:51 PM

but they would deff. have to include HD into Gameplan package.

#79 OFFLINE   alevine1986

alevine1986

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:58 PM

It looks like the Texas/Louisiana-Monroe game is not going to be HD on FSN PPV. I don't think FSN PPV has ever had HD games. Can someone confirm this? I think the price was $29.95 last year. Does anyone know if that will be the price again this year?

#80 OFFLINE   oklahoma258

oklahoma258

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:14 PM

ya i believe that the price will be $29.95 again

spam firewall