Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Farscape 10th Anniversary

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:07 PM

Farscape! I can't believe it started 10 years ago and went off the air only 6 years ago - it seems like forever and a lifetime to me!

This was a great show, killed in its prime by SciFi when it could have gone on another 5 years. To celebrate it's 10th anniversary, there will be a first-time ever release of the entire series in a DVD box-set this November. I didn't see anything about Blu-ray, so looks to be DVD only.

From an A&E press-release:

AS SCI FI TELEVISION CLASSIC FARSCAPE MARKS ITS 10TH ANNIVERSARY, A&E HOME ENTERTAINMENT AND THE JIM HENSON COMPANY PARTNER ON A RE-LAUNCH OF THE DVD FRANCHISE

The Re-packaged Line, Slated for November 2009, Includes the First-Ever COMPLETE SERIES MEGASET Featuring All Four Out-of-This World Seasons
Fans Invited to Attend Panel Featuring Executive Producer Brian Henson, Creator Rockne O'Bannon and Stars Ben Browder and Claudia Black This July at Comic-Con International 2009

NEW YORK, NY (July 1, 2009) When a freak accident during an experimental space mission catapulted Astronaut John Crichton (Ben Browder) across a thousand galaxies to an alien battlefield, a cult classic was born with the epic, adventure-filled TV series Farscape. The award-winning fan favorite show, which ran from 1999-2003 on Sci Fi and was named by TV Guide as one of television's best cult shows ever, is about to blast off again on DVD courtesy of a pact between A&E Home Entertainment and The Jim Henson Company.

Blasting off in November 2009, as the show marks its 10th Anniversary, the treasure of the newly re-packaged DVD line will feature a Farscape home entertainment first: THE COMPLETE SERIES MEGASET. Never before available in one package, A&E Home Entertainment brings together all four out-of-this-world seasons with countless hours of absorbing bonus programming featuring multiple commentaries, interviews with cast and crew, behind-the-scenes featurettes and much more! Single season collector's sets will also be released, offering genre fans of all walks the opportunity to sample this superlative sci-fi classic.

To launch this eagerly-anticipated re-release, there will be a Farscape panel convening at this year's Comic-Con International in San Diego. Executive producer Brian Henson, creator Rockne O'Bannon, and stars Ben Browder and Claudia Black (Officer Aeryn Sun) will be in attendance to discuss their favorite moments from the series and the DVD re-release.

A&E Home Entertainment, part of the Consumer Products Division of A&E Television Networks (AETN) is a video distributor of non-theatrical programming, featuring collectible DVD editions of the high quality programming from A&E Network and HISTORY, as well as acquired classic programming. A&E Home Entertainment brings the best of critically acclaimed entertainment presented in award-winning packaging to the special interest category. For more information about ordering these and other titles from the A&E Home Video Collection, call (212) 206-8600 (TRADE ONLY). Consumers please call 1-800-423-1212 (A&E). In addition to placing orders by phone, A&E Home Video products may be purchased over the World Wide Web at ShopAETV.com.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,259 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:47 PM

Wow, off the air for six years already! I have the first couple of seasons on DVD and always intended to complete my collection at some point, does this mean I have to start over so I can get "the new and improved" versions?

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#3 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:05 AM

Hmmm, my memory may be off, but I thought it was as much Ben Browder not wanting to do the show anymore as anything that ended the show. It would be nice to see the show put back on the air, it was one of SciFi's better written shows.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#4 OFFLINE   elaclair

elaclair

Rescued Racers Live Here

• DBSTalk Club
  • 951 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, CA

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:07 AM

Whoo Hoo! I have a 4-day pass to ComiCon this year, so I'm definitely going to be checking this out!!!

#5 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:46 PM

Hmmm, my memory may be off, but I thought it was as much Ben Browder not wanting to do the show anymore as anything that ended the show. It would be nice to see the show put back on the air, it was one of SciFi's better written shows.

I remember it as SciFi not renewing it, not that any of the cast didn't want to return. (Wiki confirms this: http://en.wikipedia....pe#Cancellation)

It really was a great show that could have gone on much longer. :(

#6 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 04:46 PM

Ben Browder would have sold his soul to get the show renewed, it was SlyFi channel that decided to give it the Axe. Another one of there swift moves that has made them the hit they are today ;)

Farscape was one of the most orginal shows in decades, it was ground breaking and great. Yep it could have gone on for many more season but like all good shows the longer its on means the more they have to pay the Actors and other staff, so they just cut and run before the Bill got to Big.

#7 OFFLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Registered
  • 633 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:39 AM

... it was SlyFi channel ...

Hmmm... I think "SlyFly" would be a better identity/name/logo/etc. for the channel than "Syfy!" :grin:

#8 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 05:19 PM

The Zhaan character (blue woman) was pretty interesting, the twist of her being an evolved plant was something I hadn't seen before.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#9 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 05 July 2009 - 02:05 PM

A couple of notes from someone who VERY closely followed Farscape.

The cancellation came as a shock to everyone. Sci-Fi had told them they were renewed for a 4th AND 5th season - so the writers geared towards wrapping up the story at the end of the 5th season. Then, in the middle of everything, they cut the cord at season 4. general opinion is that it was because Sci-Fi didn't "own" *all* the rights to Farscape so, when it went to DVD, Sci-Fi's parent company got NOTHING (as opposed to "Battlestar Galactica", which generates money for NBC-Universal when DVDs get sold). Therefore the ratings weren't enough to be considered an 'investment' in future DVD sales.

The outrage flooded Bonnie Hammer's office with mail (she was the head of SFC programming) and they were virtually FORCED into making the miniseries wrap-up "The Peacekeeper Wars".

#10 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 614 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 05:44 PM

Just remember every POS Saturday movie SciFi makes now when they could have been making more Farscape the whole time. I got in to the show around season 2, thought it looked ridiculous with all these aliens like we had never seen before, took some getting used to but once I did I loved that show and own all the episodes on DVD already. I do wish they would come out with a Blu Ray set.

#11 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:15 PM

When it started I remember thinking what a mistake it was to have the Rygel character, and I thought it was the cheesiest thing ever. However, Rygel turned out to be an integral member of the Farscape team as a massive dose of comic relief, a soothsayer, a counselor, an advisor, and ultimately a warmly drawn out character. That's good writing, good voice acting and good puppeteering...

#12 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:30 PM

I think thats why so many people don't even care if the Channel goes under, it has become irrelevant.

Just remember every POS Saturday movie SciFi
makes now when they could have been making more Farscape the whole time..

#13 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:25 AM

The DVD set needs to include "The Peacekeeper Wars". From the press release it does not seem to be.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#14 OFFLINE   rebkell

rebkell

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:11 PM

Watching(actually it's on) the movie 'Showdown at Area 51' on Syfy, I'd seen it before and the blonde looked familiar but I didn't figure out who it was, it's Gigi Edgley, aka Chianna from Farscape.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...