Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Hr22-200

pc media streaming

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   richardmb

richardmb

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:33 AM

Called tech. support tuesday about pixelaxacton & audio breakups, also when changing to a local station I sometimes get a gray screen which if i don't change to another channel and then back again will remain gray for about 10 to 15 miniutes b4 a picture comes up. He said their was a problem with dish allinment so he had a D* tech. come out to adjust the dish. Tech. said dish was fine and I would need a new dvr. he hooked up dvr and now i can't get any hd channels. and only one tuner works, he said that the hr22-200 did have some issues with seeing some satellites. He is supposed to come back today with another tech. to fix the problem. does anyone know about this problem with the hr22-200 or do i need to put some boots on.
thanks in advance. i had a hr20-700

#2 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,059 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:50 AM

This doesn't sound like dish alignment or the DVR to me. Instead, the tech needs to check the multiswitch (if any) and all the cabling and connectors between the dish and the receiver.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#3 OFFLINE   richardmb

richardmb

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:02 PM

Ok thanks I'll let him know if he shows up today

#4 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,482 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 July 2009 - 10:34 AM

Called tech. support tuesday about pixelaxacton & audio breakups, also when changing to a local station I sometimes get a gray screen which if i don't change to another channel and then back again will remain gray for about 10 to 15 miniutes b4 a picture comes up. He said their was a problem with dish allinment so he had a D* tech. come out to adjust the dish. Tech. said dish was fine and I would need a new dvr. he hooked up dvr and now i can't get any hd channels. and only one tuner works, he said that the hr22-200 did have some issues with seeing some satellites. He is supposed to come back today with another tech. to fix the problem. does anyone know about this problem with the hr22-200 or do i need to put some boots on.
thanks in advance. i had a hr20-700

Only have one HR? I can't even imagine letting an installer touch one of my HRs. So, you had a 20-700 and they exchanged it for a 22-100? You went from the best HR to one of the worst and probably didn't need a replacement. I gather the 20-700 had the same problems as the 22-100? If my last question is true, follow LameLefty's suggestions and have them check everything from the dish to the feeds for the HR. If two HRs have the same problem on the same feeds, the problem is not in the HR.

However, if the guy comes with a 23-700, grab it. Not quite as good as a 20-700, but a lot better than anything that ends in 100, which is the manufacturer's designation. If you have the same problems, the HRs are definitely not at fault. Not all the installers know how to properly align a dish. When the installer comes, ask him how long he's been installing for D*. If he says something like 3 months (I've had a few of them), you're doomed. But if you do nothing else, try to get a 23 out of him.

Do you belong to the Protection Plan? If not, might be a good time to join.

Rich

#5 OFFLINE   richardmb

richardmb

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:16 AM

Turns out the Hr22 needs converters, I asked the tech. about it and he said that that particular unit doesn't need them. Turns out I found out it does. Well after installing them every thing seems to be OK. as of today no more pixilisaction or audio burbing, as far as rain fade I'll have to Waite and see. I realize I'm losing a very good dvr in the hr20 but all he had was a hr22 I rolled the dice and hoped that this unit will function OK. So far so good. thanks for the advice.
PS i checked the connections with the switch and dish and there were some loose connections

Edited by richardmb, 04 July 2009 - 10:23 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,482 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:41 PM

Turns out the Hr22 needs converters, I asked the tech. about it and he said that that particular unit doesn't need them. Turns out I found out it does. Well after installing them every thing seems to be OK. as of today no more pixilisaction or audio burbing, as far as rain fade I'll have to Waite and see. I realize I'm losing a very good dvr in the hr20 but all he had was a hr22 I rolled the dice and hoped that this unit will function OK. So far so good. thanks for the advice.
PS i checked the connections with the switch and dish and there were some loose connections

The other thing you might want to do is check all your cables and make sure that you have compression fittings rather than crimped fittings.

Rich

#7 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:48 PM

I think another tech needs to go back to school.:)

It's the HR23 that doesn't need BBCs.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,482 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 July 2009 - 04:22 PM

I think another tech needs to go back to school.:)

It's the HR23 that doesn't need BBCs.

I've had so many service calls since the advent of the HRs that I've lost count, and I have never gotten the same guy twice. How could that be? Turnover rate that high? I know they make more than people who have pest control jobs. I had a couple installers that had been pest guys just three months before they appeared at my house.

Anyway, this is just what I was talking about in a prior post on this thread about letting an installer touch your HR. He didn't know the 22's needed BBCs? Everybody that reads this post should read that last sentence again. That's pretty typical here in central NJ.

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   richardmb

richardmb

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:31 AM

I know it's been too soon but so far no problems. However you are right about some of D*'s techs. He told me directv's 103 hd sat.was very temperamental and that it caused a lot of the problems I was having. Go figure. Thanks again for the suggestions.

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,482 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:32 AM

I know it's been too soon but so far no problems. However you are right about some of D*'s techs. He told me directv's 103 hd sat.was very temperamental and that it caused a lot of the problems I was having. Go figure. Thanks again for the suggestions.

There are several members that do installs and solve problems for people. They are not "normal" installers. Normal installers are damn near helpless when it comes to an HR. For instance, how would your installer know that a satellite is temperamental? They don't know the difference between a black wire tie and a white wire tie and they are making judgments on satellites?

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   richardmb

richardmb

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:45 AM

Your right that's why I enjoy these forums so much. I'm able to get alot of usefull information from them.

#12 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 02:16 PM

Most of the "NEW" installers can't afford the systems they instal-much less have time to hang around there own home to watch or even learn about the equipment.

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,482 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 July 2009 - 01:36 PM

Most of the "NEW" installers can't afford the systems they instal-much less have time to hang around there own home to watch or even learn about the equipment.

Blame shouldn't be attributed to the installers, but rather to their lack of training, which, ultimately, is D*'s responsibility. But to make things as clear as possible, we routinely blame the installers. Easy way out.

Rich

spam firewall