Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Problem networking new HR-22

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hay dos elefantes

hay dos elefantes

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 03:30 PM

I just got a new HR22-100 installed in my house, and I am having trouble networking it. I'm hoping you guys are willing to help me (and I hope I am posting this in the right forum here).

I am plugging an ethernet cable from the top port on the back of the HR22 directly into a LAN port on my Netgear WGR614v6 router.

When I try to use the default settings, the DHCP request fails and I get a 169.x.x.x address.

I have tried using the advanced settings to set the IP address, subnet mask, gateway and DNS server manually. I set these to be the same values as the other devices on my LAN (except with a different IP address, of course). When I do this I get an error 22, "can't connect to internet".

I have an XBox 360, a PS3, and a desktop computer connected to the same router, and they all work fine with DHCP. I have tried setting my computer to use the same manual settings I used on the HR22, and my computer works fine with those settings (using a different IP address for all devices, of course).

I've tried swapping ports on the router and ethernet cables with other working devices with no luck. I've tried resetting the HR22 using the reset button on the front of the box and by unplugging the device a couple times, and tried both methods using the default settings and the manually configured IP settings.

I read a suggestion somewhere (maybe on these forums) to disable UPnP on the router to no avail. I tried updating the firmware on the router to no avail. I tried changing the HR22's DNS server to use the external DNS server address that my DSL modem uses, instead of the 192.168.1.254 internal address that all my other devices use, to no avail.

The only thing even slightly unsual is that I have two private networks: My Netgear WGR614 connected to a Motorla DSL modem for my AT&T DSL. The DSL modem uses 192.168.1.x for LAN addresses, so my Netgear has an WAN address of 192.168.1.x and a default gateway of 192.168.1.254 (the DSL modem). The LAN address for the Netgear is 10.0.0.1 , so all my LAN devices have IP addresses of 10.0.0.x and a default gateway of 10.0.0.1 (the Netgear). Every other device I have connected wired or wirelessly to my Netgear router works fine with plain vanilla DHCP: Xbox 360, Playstation 3, original Xbox, laptops, desktops, iPods, etc.

If I didn't work with computers for a living, I would probably just go along my merry way, but it's driving me nuts that I can't get this "simple" DVR to connect to the internet.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hay dos elefantes

hay dos elefantes

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:07 PM

Nobody has any ideas? I thought if anyone could help, it would be the people on this forum.

Just for grins, I tried taking my Netgear router out of the equation and connecting directly to my DSL modem. I get the same results - can't get an IP address via DHCP. I'm getting frustrated.

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:46 AM

IMO, the network port on the receiver is bad, or your cable is bad. The box should have picked up DHCP from your router with no problems.

#4 OFFLINE   hobie346

hobie346

Icon

• Registered
  • 688 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:01 AM

If the HR22 has a second RJ-45 connector you might want to try it. I remember some posts in the past that had similar problems getting a HR2X box to talk and switching the connectors solved the problem.

#5 OFFLINE   montanaxvi

montanaxvi

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:07 PM

Join the club?

I have messed with my HR-21 more time wasted than I should have. I am in pretty much the same boat as you as far as devices on the LAN that work, but get the exact same problem as you with the DVR connection. The only difference between our setups is I am trying wireless via a Linksys WGA54G wireless gaming adapter and the DVR will not connect to the internet, I get a LAN connection, DNS passes, IP and host both pass test, but no 'net connection.

#6 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:59 AM

Please take a look at the network help link in my signature and/or the sitcky link above for networking help 101.

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#7 OFFLINE   montanaxvi

montanaxvi

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for the link Spanky, but I have the exact same problem as OP and I believe mine is due to a bad WGA54G.

I have been through, around, over and under every single connection setting I can find or access and nothing will ever let this thing be able to be pinged when in wireless mode. I think the wireless side of the WGA54G may be bad, I can ping it when I have it wired to the router to change settings, but as soon as it is wireless no ping reply.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...