Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

A few remaining questions...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SleekComputer

SleekComputer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 10:07 PM

Hey folks! Long time cable subscriber looking to switch to DirecTV. My biggest concern is the 2 year contract. As a result, I have been doing a lot of research to get a better understanding of the technology and terms of the contract. While I've found answers to most of my questions at DBSTalk, a few still remain. :)

Right now, I am thinking about getting 1 DVR and 2 standard receivers. The DVR and an additional receiver for the main TV and another receiver for a secondary TV. Lets say I sign up but in 6 months time, I decide to de-activate a standard receiver. Would the receiver have to be returned since it's leased? Or could I hold onto it and re-activate it later? Would the reactivation extend my contract?

I've been reading up on SWM. It's my understanding that with a SWM, one cable from the dish would be able to feed multiple receivers by using different frequencies. If I would not have a SWM installed, how would the cabling go? My guess would be 4 cables from the dish: 3 cables to the main TV and a 4th cable to a secondary TV? With a SWM, 1 cable from the dish, 2 to the main TV and one to the secondary TV?

Since requesting a SWM doesn't always guarantee one, if I would purchase one, how do I determine if I need a SL5-SWM or a SL3-SWM? Besides the SL?-SWM, what other equipment would I need to purchase?

It's late, so that's it for now. Thanks!

Happy 4th of July everyone! :flag:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 10:39 PM

Hey folks! Long time cable subscriber looking to switch to DirecTV. My biggest concern is the 2 year contract. As a result, I have been doing a lot of research to get a better understanding of the technology and terms of the contract. While I've found answers to most of my questions at DBSTalk, a few still remain. :)

First off Welcome to DBSTalk!

Right now, I am thinking about getting 1 DVR and 2 standard receivers. The DVR and an additional receiver for the main TV and another receiver for a secondary TV. Lets say I sign up but in 6 months time, I decide to de-activate a standard receiver. Would the receiver have to be returned since it's leased? Or could I hold onto it and re-activate it later? Would the reactivation extend my contract?

You will need to return it. If at a later time you chose to want one in that room again it would be a cost to get the receiver back. So is the $5 savings worth it will be something you will have to decide.

I've been reading up on SWM. It's my understanding that with a SWM, one cable from the dish would be able to feed multiple receivers by using different frequencies. If I would not have a SWM installed, how would the cabling go? My guess would be 4 cables from the dish: 3 cables to the main TV and a 4th cable to a secondary TV? With a SWM, 1 cable from the dish, 2 to the main TV and one to the secondary TV?

Since requesting a SWM doesn't always guarantee one, if I would purchase one, how do I determine if I need a SL5-SWM or a SL3-SWM? Besides the SL?-SWM, what other equipment would I need to purchase?

It's late, so that's it for now. Thanks!

Happy 4th of July everyone! :flag:

As you have read you will need to purchase your own to guarantee it. Especially since you're order of 1 DVR and 2 standards doesn't have HD. So there is no reason for a 5LNB or SL3 dish.

I haven't checked where locals come from in your area however if they are on the 119 then you will need the SL5. If your locals are off of the 101 then you can use the SL3. The only other programming on the 119/110 is spanish language and the Hope channel. If those are of interest get the SL5. Personal preference I would get the SL5 as having access to more satellites is never a negative. That part is up to you.

Without a SWM every tuner needs it's own line. So that means a DVR would have 2 lines running to it from the dish and standards would have 1.

I'm not sure why you are wanting a DVR and standard on the main TV. I am all for multiple receivers on a TV it just seems odd that you wouldn't go 2 DVR from the start.

#3 OFFLINE   SleekComputer

SleekComputer

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:02 PM

Hi Shades228, thanks for the reply.

You will need to return it. If at a later time you chose to want one in that room again it would be a cost to get the receiver back. So is the $5 savings worth it will be something you will have to decide.

Definally something to consider. I hate to be adding/removing receivers, not only would the shipping costs hurt but also, I'd keep extending the contract. :eek2:

I haven't checked where locals come from in your area however if they are on the 119 then you will need the SL5. If your locals are off of the 101 then you can use the SL3. The only other programming on the 119/110 is Spanish language and the Hope channel. If those are of interest get the SL5. Personal preference I would get the SL5 as having access to more satellites is never a negative. That part is up to you.

If I'm intrupert the info on the DIRECTV Transponder Maps thread correctly, locals would be on the 99 and 101 (Pittsburgh). For a $10 difference, the access to more satellites seems worth it. Now my question would be, does DirecTV have a somewhat consistent pattern as to watch networks go to which satellite? i.e. spanish language on the 119/110 vs locals mainly on the 101? Or when a new channel arrives, do they stick it on the satellite with the most unused bandwidth?

Without a SWM every tuner needs it's own line. So that means a DVR would have 2 lines running to it from the dish and standards would have 1.

Basically, SWM = 1 cable per device. Cool.

I'm not sure why you are wanting a DVR and standard on the main TV. I am all for multiple receivers on a TV it just seems odd that you wouldn't go 2 DVR from the start.

My original plan was to have the spare receiver to watch a third channel if the DVR was busy recording two other shows. I see what you're saying though, if I'm going to have two receivers on one TV, why not get another DVR? It would offer more flexibility. The biggest thing that holds me back from getting more advanced receivers is the upfront costs. But it might be worth it in the long run though, since multi-room viewing will only available on DVR receivers.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.... :nono:

Edited by SleekComputer, 04 July 2009 - 07:22 PM.
Clarified text.

#4 OFFLINE   Brannayen

Brannayen

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:33 AM

With a SWM set-up, you can run multiple receivers in the same room from just one line. I have an R22 and a HR23 on the same TV, with just one line run to the room.

#5 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:48 AM

With a SWM set-up, you can run multiple receivers in the same room from just one line. I have an R22 and a HR23 on the same TV, with just one line run to the room.

I may do this in the future. What do you use to split the single cable run?
HR34-700, HR22-100

#6 OFFLINE   66stang351

66stang351

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:10 AM

I may do this in the future. What do you use to split the single cable run?

A splitter that is rated 2-2000MHz.

#7 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:34 AM

Thanks, so it fairly inexpensive to do... might buy one now to use later. Then during NFL and NHL games, move my HR22 from the bedroom into the living room so I can use PIP to watch 2 games. Or when DLB is released, monitor 4 games.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#8 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 05:54 PM

Especially since you're order of 1 DVR and 2 standards doesn't have HD. So there is no reason for a 5LNB or SL3 dish

Unless he is in a mpeg 4 locals area, then the 5LNB dish would be installed. But having less than 5 tuners will almost certainly guarantee no SWM. Call Directv with your zip code, Sleek Computer and find out which satellite delivers your SD locals.:)

#9 OFFLINE   SleekComputer

SleekComputer

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:08 PM

Good to know. Thanks.

Unless he is in a mpeg 4 locals area, then the 5LNB dish would be installed. But having less than 5 tuners will almost certainly guarantee no SWM. Call Directv with your zip code, Sleek Computer and find out which satellite delivers your SD locals.:)

Thanks for the tip cariera! Called DTV. Locals would be on the 101 satellite and in MPEG 4 format. So basically, that means I'd need a SL5-SWM.

Also have to say I am impressed with DTV so far. Rep was a polite and very helpful. Now if only I can decide on how many receivers to get. :hurah:

Edited by SleekComputer, 06 July 2009 - 05:14 AM.
Rearranged information.

#10 OFFLINE   SleekComputer

SleekComputer

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:13 PM

I see several threads that mention that the R22 DVR is being discontinued. Has anyone seen news on a replacement SD DVR w/ ethernet connection?

EDIT: Found out the R22 is basically a HD DVR without the HD. Unfortunately, the R22 looks to be the only SD receiver at the moment that had an ethernet connection.

Edited by SleekComputer, 06 July 2009 - 04:10 PM.
Added response based on research.

#11 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:17 PM

Locals would be on the 101 satellite and in MPEG 4 format. So basically, that means I'd need a SL5-SWM.

Not to be picky but the 101 does not provide SD locals in an mpeg4 format. Could they possibly have told you the locals come from the 103? or 99?:)

#12 OFFLINE   mstanka

mstanka

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:25 PM

From my understanding the only HD locals on the 101 satellite is NY and LA, the rest are on the 99 and 103 sats.

Now if you are referring to SD locals, that I agree with.

For example, here in the Nashville area, we get the SD locals on the 101 and the HD locals on the 99 sat (not that I watch any of the SD channels).

Michael.

#13 OFFLINE   SleekComputer

SleekComputer

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:00 AM

The rep told me locals were on the 101 and in MPEG4 format. Based on what you and mstanka wrote, I checked the transponder maps and the local HD is on 99 and SD on 101.

Is there an upgrade fee to move to a newer version of a receiver, i.e. HR23 to HR50? (yeah I made the HR50 up ;)) I read that upgrade fees from a basic SD receiver to SD DRV is $99, HD DRV is $199 (basically the same as adding a DVR).

EDIT: Found my answer to the above question. Have to pay an upgrade fee.

At this point, I am thinking about just getting 2 DVRs (one HD one SD), and an extra receiver. That way it would put me at the 5 tuner mark for the SWM. Spend $99 on a DVR or $120 for the SL5-SWM plus inverter.

But if I purchase an SL5-SWM and power inverter, do I need to notify DTV that I purchased it?

Edited by SleekComputer, 07 July 2009 - 04:41 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:05 AM

But if I purchase an SL5-SWM and power inverter, do I need to notify DTV that I purchased it?

I don't think you need to tell them but what could it hurt if you do?
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#15 OFFLINE   SleekComputer

SleekComputer

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:17 AM

I don't think you need to tell them but what could it hurt if you do?

Good point. Didn't think of that.

#16 OFFLINE   SleekComputer

SleekComputer

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:19 AM

Just wanted to pop in again with a quick update. Unfortunately, at this time, the decision was made not to go with DirectTV. I do thank everyone for the information they provided: you've all been a great help. I have learned a lot in my stay at DBSTalk. Maybe someday we'll move to DirecTV.

Edited by SleekComputer, 08 July 2009 - 08:12 AM.
Expanded original response.

#17 OFFLINE   Lovin_It

Lovin_It

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:35 PM

K just a heads up to you guys, if you purchase a SWM and it was not a part of your original installation it will completely mess your entire system up. It has to have a special dish (depending on if you have MPEG4 forlocals or have HD as well) and a special multiswitch and a whole ton of specially installed equpiment. If ya mess it up, and you have the service plan, it will be a chargable service deally, and could be a cause for more charges depending on how bad the deal is messed up. and from what I was told it has to have at least 1 dvr and the other receivers have to be a d12 or higher.

#18 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:40 AM

K just a heads up to you guys, if you purchase a SWM and it was not a part of your original installation it will completely mess your entire system up. It has to have a special dish (depending on if you have MPEG4 forlocals or have HD as well) and a special multiswitch and a whole ton of specially installed equpiment. If ya mess it up, and you have the service plan, it will be a chargable service deally, and could be a cause for more charges depending on how bad the deal is messed up. and from what I was told it has to have at least 1 dvr and the other receivers have to be a d12 or higher.

This is thread #3 I seem to find bad/poor information. There are two types of SWM: the SWM8 & SWMLNB. The LNB is a complete "drop in" replacement for the Slimline dish & the SWM8 is a "drop in" replacement for the WB68.
Perhaps some info on the SWM might help: http://forums.direct...uleTraining.pdf
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...