Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Quick SWM Questions

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:21 PM

The H20s are flakey at best on a SWiM system. In all honesty, they should be retired from use.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   stringray13

stringray13

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:08 PM

The H20s are flakey at best on a SWiM system. In all honesty, they should be retired from use.

Absolutely true. H20 600s keep hitting the field as refurbs, and they are seriously craptastic.

As far as having to have 5 units to require SWM... I have never heard this.

I get work orders all the time with 2 or 3 units, and provided they are all compatible, SWM3 LNB is on the work order.

Seriously tho, SWM systems are so much more reliable overall that I cannot understand why it is not mandatory for all new HD installs.

A power passing splitter vs a 6x8 is no contest. Cost wise, it costs more to send techs out on service calls for old style systems than it does to put a solid tuned SWM3 in and forget about it until a tornado hits.

#23 OFFLINE   HDMike

HDMike

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:57 PM

I have a Slimline and a maxed out switch at the moment ( 3 HD DVR's, 1 H20, and old legacy HIRD-E1) using all eight outputs. If I order an additional receiver, will I get an SWM installed at no charge?

Mike

#24 OFFLINE   Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:23 PM

I still have two H20 units in use on my SWM -- so far, so good, 'cause I like to use OTA signals sometimes, as the local CBS affiliate (Weigel) and DirecTV have no deal on HD, so D*'s CBS programming is SD (duh).

However, if and when an H20 goes bad on me, I'll probably upgrade and get the OTA add-on rather than let D* send me a refurb.

Stan
Stanley Kritzik

Slimline feeds an SWM-8, diplexed with an OTA Square Shooter SS2000, using a Sonora AD14 active diplexer, plus a Sonora LA141R amplifier and a 4-way splitter (3 used).
Results distributed to two H20 receivers plus an HR21-Pro feeding three Sharp Aquos LCD screens, the largest being a 57" unit. Diplexers used for all receivers to split off OTA signals. HR21-Pro has an AM21 OTA receiver, and feeds into a Sony STR DA5200ES receiver. Also connected is a Sony Blu Ray player.

#25 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:24 PM

I have a Slimline and a maxed out switch at the moment ( 3 HD DVR's, 1 H20, and old legacy HIRD-E1) using all eight outputs. If I order an additional receiver, will I get an SWM installed at no charge?

Mike

Well there shouldn't be any SWM upgrades, but techs can bend the rules sometimes.
But you'll have to get rid if the legacy box.

#26 OFFLINE   HDMike

HDMike

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:15 PM

Well there shouldn't be any SWM upgrades, but techs can bend the rules sometimes.
But you'll have to get rid if the legacy box.

Can you clarify the "no SWM upgrade"? How else would 9 tuners be supported? Sorry, I'm still trying to figure out this SWM stuff.

Also, will they swap the legacy box (leased) for an HD box if the TV is not HD? I would be happy to connect it through S-Video or component and be able to watch down-rezed HD channels!

Mike

#27 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:31 PM

Can you clarify the "no SWM upgrade"? How else would 9 tuners be supported? Sorry, I'm still trying to figure out this SWM stuff.

Also, will they swap the legacy box (leased) for an HD box if the TV is not HD? I would be happy to connect it through S-Video or component and be able to watch down-rezed HD channels!

Mike

First: nine tuners would work off a WB616.
Second: SWM is limited to eight tuners, so "something" would have to give.
SWM8 could feed eight SWM tuners and three legacy tuners, but are for commercial install, only the SWMLNB is used for residential installs [8 tuners max].
A.K.A VOS

#28 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:58 PM

Mike

Reciever upgrades to support a SWiM install are at the customers expense.

In addition to the options VOS gave, another would be a second SWiMLine ODU. I believe also at the customers expense.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#29 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,919 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:09 PM

Mike

With the legacy unit, SWM won't work at all for you. Further, SWM is limited to 8 tuners max, so it isn't a solution for you if you add a unit.

To add a unit, what you want to do is either replace the WB68 with a WB616 (16 port multiswitch), or run two WB68's in parallel (for 16 outputs).

If you really want SWM, you can run an SWM8 (external SWM multiswitch) in parallel with a WB68, giving you 8 SWM tuners plus 8 non-SWM outputs. You would have to buy the SWM8 (and power inserter) yourself.

#30 OFFLINE   HDMike

HDMike

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:54 PM

With the legacy unit, SWM won't work at all for you. Further, SWM is limited to 8 tuners max, so it isn't a solution for you if you add a unit.

To add a unit, what you want to do is either replace the WB68 with a WB616 (16 port multiswitch), or run two WB68's in parallel (for 16 outputs).

If you really want SWM, you can run an SWM8 (external SWM multiswitch) in parallel with a WB68, giving you 8 SWM tuners plus 8 non-SWM outputs. You would have to buy the SWM8 (and power inserter) yourself.

I found a diagram that shows the SWM8 in parallel with the WB68 using splitters, and that may be the way I will go to give me the most flexibility.

However, from what I read, the legacy ports on the SWM8 would support any older receiver in addition to 8 SWM compliant tuners. That would allow me to add another HD receiver without using the WB68. Am I missing something?

Mike

#31 OFFLINE   jpitlick

jpitlick

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 03:27 PM

I found a diagram that shows the SWM8 in parallel with the WB68 using splitters, and that may be the way I will go to give me the most flexibility.

However, from what I read, the legacy ports on the SWM8 would support any older receiver in addition to 8 SWM compliant tuners. That would allow me to add another HD receiver without using the WB68. Am I missing something?

Mike

The legacy ports on the SWM8 do not pass the HD signals.

HR20-700 attached via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-SR605S connected via HDMI to a Sony KDF-42WE655 42" Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD
H21-100 attached via HDMI to Sceptre X246W-1080P 24" LCD and attached via S-Video to Windows 7 PC w/Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600
HR22-100 attached via HDMI to a ProScan 32LB30Q 32" LCD
SWM-8/STS-4
SlimLine Dish w/SL5 LNB
All receviers connected to gigabit switches and 25/25 Mbps FiOS

#32 OFFLINE   HDMike

HDMike

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 04:28 PM

The legacy ports on the SWM8 do not pass the HD signals.

That's fine. Per my original post, I have an old HIRD-E1 for the last analog set in my house. To clarify, I meant if I get an SWM8 and move the legacy receiver to that port, it leaves me with 7 HD tuners and frees up an HD port for one more HD receiver.

Mike

Edited by HDMike, 17 July 2009 - 04:35 PM.
Clarification

#33 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,919 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:14 PM

That's fine. Per my original post, I have an old HIRD-E1 for the last analog set in my house. To clarify, I meant if I get an SWM8 and move the legacy receiver to that port, it leaves me with 7 HD tuners and frees up an HD port for one more HD receiver.

Mike

Yes, that should work just fine. Keep in mind the legacy ports are not single-wire - you need one coax per tuner (so two if you have a legacy dvr).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...