Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can I request a certain HD-DVR for my new install?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   KhurramA

KhurramA

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:07 PM

I'm about to get D* installed on Tuesday and this is my first time as a satellite customer.

I have heard there are many issues with the HR series hd-dvr's that directv has.

Can I request a specific model and if so which one should I get? I'm really hoping that whatever I get does not have a slow interface and glitches as I'm moving away from one of the worst dvr interfaces I've ever had (atlantic broadband) and hoping for a significant improvement with the new service.

Any advice would be appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SledDog

SledDog

Icon

• Registered
  • 676 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:18 PM

Unfortunately, you can't request a certain model. Your going to get what the installer has on the truck.

But, you can go to Best Buy, Costo or some on-line retailers, like Solid Signal, and purchase the model you want.

You can even try eBay.

Opinions are different on which model is the better then others. After reading the posts from different model owners, I went with a HR23.
PhuturePrimitive, Kaya Project, Thievery Corporation, Crystal Method, Leftfield, Hybrid, Solar Fields

Huff 85 Heavy, turn left heading 300. Expect vectors thru final for controller amusement.

My A/V Equipment
DirecTV receiver, TV, home sound thingy, a bunch of remotes.

#3 OFFLINE   KhurramA

KhurramA

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:24 PM

Unfortunately, you can't request a certain model. Your going to get what the installer has on the truck.

But, you can go to Best Buy, Costo or some on-line retailers, like Solid Signal, and purchase the model you want.

You can even try eBay.

Opinions are different on which model is the better then others. After reading the posts from different model owners, I went with a HR23.

Thanks.
I'm assuming since the hr-23 is the newest receiver (it is right?) that it's the one I would be getting.

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:29 PM

Thanks.
I'm assuming since the hr-23 is the newest receiver (it is right?) that it's the one I would be getting.

Again, there's no guarentee. At the moment we have reman HR21s and new HR22s. Two weeks ago, we had HR23s. Before that, just the reman HR21s. Installers install whatever shows up at their warehouse, and rarely have more than one model available to them. So, you get what they have on their truck, which could be anything from an HR20 to an HR23.

To DirecTV, they are all HD-DVRs and therefore all equal.

#5 OFFLINE   SledDog

SledDog

Icon

• Registered
  • 676 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:36 PM

Thanks.

I guess I should have mentioned, I purchased my HR23 and did a self install. It was an upgrade from a H20-100 that is now moved to another room.

Don't let the word purchased throw you. I paid for the receiver, but it is still leased.
PhuturePrimitive, Kaya Project, Thievery Corporation, Crystal Method, Leftfield, Hybrid, Solar Fields

Huff 85 Heavy, turn left heading 300. Expect vectors thru final for controller amusement.

My A/V Equipment
DirecTV receiver, TV, home sound thingy, a bunch of remotes.

#6 OFFLINE   KhurramA

KhurramA

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 04:04 PM

Well I hope I get a HR 23 then since the 22 seems to be the worst of the bunch according to threads.

#7 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,897 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 05 July 2009 - 04:50 PM

I have 2 HR22-100s with no appreciable difference from the HR20-700s. . . .except more space!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#8 OFFLINE   enkrates

enkrates

• Unregistered / Not Logged In
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 05:31 PM

Don't let the word purchased throw you. I paid for the receiver, but it is still leased.

I don't know what it means to have purchased something but also to be leasing it? Could you explain that situation a bit more?

#9 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 05:36 PM

I have 2 HR22-100s with no appreciable difference from the HR20-700s. . . .except more space!

I agree with that, although my HR22-100 is a bit slower than my HR20-700.

#10 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 05:39 PM

I don't know what it means to have purchased something but also to be leasing it? Could you explain that situation a bit more?

The price that is paid for the receiver is an upfront lease fee. The only way to purchase a receiver and own it is through Directv and a HD DVR is $499 to outright own!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...