Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Missing or Wrong OTA Channels... Here's a FIX!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tzphotos.com

tzphotos.com

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:35 PM

I was having problems getting 26.1 WCIU to show up on my HR-20 after re-scanning. It would show up as 48.1.

I came up with fix that corrects the problem. I am not sure if all the steps are neccessary but this did correct my problem and bring back 26.1.

1. Unplug the OTA antenna connection. This step seems to be needed for some people.

2. (in the antenna setup) "reset off-air settings" and allow it to go through all it's steps.

3. (in the reset menu) "restart the receiver" Many have skipped this step with success.

4. (in the antenna setup) "initial setup" be sure to re-enter the zip code, don't just hit ok.

5. (in the antenna setup) "edit off-air channels" just to make sure all the channels you want are selected.

6. plug-in the OTA antenna connection.

Everything should be good.

I hope this works for everyone having problems with missing or wrong OTA channels.

Edited by tzphotos.com, 07 July 2009 - 07:19 PM.

Tom

www.tzphotos.com

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:20 PM

Just performing steps 2, 4, and 5 should do the trick for most people.

#3 OFFLINE   tzphotos.com

tzphotos.com

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:43 AM

Actually oddly enough I had to unplug the antenna. I know it doesn't make sense since the HR doesn't get info from the signals. but it must do some kind of search, because things werent fixed without disconnecting the antenna.

But by all means someone try it and let me know if it work for you without unplugging the antenna.

Tom

www.tzphotos.com

#4 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,645 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:40 AM

Actually oddly enough I had to unplug the antenna. I know it doesn't make sense since the HR doesn't get info from the signals. but it must do some kind of search, because things werent fixed without disconnecting the antenna.

But by all means someone try it and let me know if it work for you without unplugging the antenna.

4 HR's and the only think I had to do was steps 2, 4 and 5 way back when and that's the only procedure I've advised people to follow without issue.

Now I guess you could get a stubborn unit at times that may require a reboot after step 2, but I'd suspect this is rare. Also, no information comes via the antenna, so no reason to disconnect.

#5 OFFLINE   rahchgo

rahchgo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 07 July 2009 - 12:33 PM

I had this same problem with the same 26.1 WCIU-DT in the Chicago area. So, I was in a good position to test this.

Performed steps 2, 4, and 5 about once a week since June 12th. It did not fix the problem.

Actually oddly enough I had to unplug the antenna. I know it doesn't make sense since the HR doesn't get info from the signals. but it must do some kind of search, because things weren't fixed without disconnecting the antenna.

Tried steps 2,3,4, and 5 (skipped unplugging the antenna). It did not fix the problem.

Finally, I tried steps 1,2,4,5, and 6. That WORKED! In my case, with the HR20-700, the disconnect of the OTA antenna proved to be a necessary step. Step 3, (restart the receiver) proved to be unnecessary. Thanks Tom for posting your fix.
Rich - Chicago, IL (Tri-Taylor neighborhood) HR44-500

#6 OFFLINE   techdimwit

techdimwit

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:36 PM

Thank you for this fix! We've struggled with all sorts of weird OTA problems since 6/12. I've tried an assortment of my own fixes but none worked. Never occurred to me to disconnect the OTA antenna.

I did find that I needed to restart the system but did it at the end of the process. Still worked.

Again, thanks so much. When we tried to record on ABC last night we got an hour of FOX programming instead. Anyhow, it's great to have it sorted.

#7 OFFLINE   Kodok

Kodok

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:11 PM

I had this same problem with the same 26.1 WCIU-DT in the Chicago area. So, I was in a good position to test this.

Performed steps 2, 4, and 5 about once a week since June 12th. It did not fix the problem.

Tried steps 2,3,4, and 5 (skipped unplugging the antenna). It did not fix the problem.

Finally, I tried steps 1,2,4,5, and 6. That WORKED! In my case, with the HR20-700, the disconnect of the OTA antenna proved to be a necessary step. Step 3, (restart the receiver) proved to be unnecessary. Thanks Tom for posting your fix.

I second that. I tried w/o disconnecting OTA antenna and it didn't work. Thanks again for posting the fix.

#8 OFFLINE   BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny

Icon

• Registered
  • 689 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:26 PM

I was having problems getting 26.1 WCIU to show up on my HR-20 after re-scanning. It would show up as 48.1.

I came up with fix that corrects the problem. I am not sure if all the steps are neccessary but this did correct my problem and bring back 26.1.

1. Unplug the OTA antenna connection. This step seems to be needed for some people.

2. (in the antenna setup) "reset off-air settings" and allow it to go through all it's steps.

3. (in the reset menu) "restart the receiver" Many have skipped this step with success.

4. (in the antenna setup) "initial setup" be sure to re-enter the zip code, don't just hit ok.

5. (in the antenna setup) "edit off-air channels" just to make sure all the channels you want are selected.

6. plug-in the OTA antenna connection.

Everything should be good.

I hope this works for everyone having problems with missing or wrong OTA channels.

Awesome - it worked! Didn't need the restart. Thanks so much for the fix.;)
HR20-100S/Seagate
H20-100
Panasonic TH-58PZ800U Plasma
Pioneer Elite AVR SC-05
Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray

#9 OFFLINE   krdort

krdort

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:08 AM

Glad I found this thread! I know that whenever I have DirecTV questions or issues DBS Talk is the place to go. Was also getting WCIU-HD OTA (26-1) on channel 48-1 on my HR20/700. A minor nuisance, but at least I knew where it was mapped and could watch their HD programming. A month or two back 48-1 started showing channel 23-2, despite the guide showing channel 26-1 programming. Followed your fix to the letter - 48-1 is now gone, and 26-1 is mapped and available with the proper programming. Many thanks!

Edited by krdort, 19 April 2010 - 11:30 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   dhkinil

dhkinil

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:46 AM

Glad I found this thread! I know that whenever I have DirecTV questions or issues DBS Talk is the place to go. Was also getting WCIU-HD OTA (26-1) on channel 48-1 on my HR20/700. A minor nuisance, but at least I knew where it was mapped and could watch their HD programming. A month or two back 48-1 started showing channel 23-2, despite the guide showing channel 26-1 programming. Followed your fix to the letter - 48-1 is now gone, and 26-1 is mapped and available with the proper programming. Many thanks!

I have had a slightly different problem, sometimes it is "ME Too" and sometimes it really is 26-1. I have reset the system to no avail.

#11 ONLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,212 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:47 AM

This worked for me in the LA area. I went from 70 OTA channels available to 75, most of which are foreign language.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#12 OFFLINE   Wisegoat

Wisegoat

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:43 AM

My HR20-700 just sits at the Searching for Local Markets screen. Left it running from 9pm to 6am this morning and nothing. Think I have a problem?

spam firewall