Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

continuing remote control issues..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   larrydavid

larrydavid

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:01 AM

for the past week or so i have had continuing problems getting my hr21-700 to respond to the remote control. it's not the batteries, i put brand new ones in and am still having the problem. the box either only accepts half the commands i put in, or none at all. from reading other threads i tried the RBR and it works, but for diminishing amounts of time. at this point i have to RBR 2or 3 times a day. is there any solution for this? would a RF remote work better?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:24 AM

The remote you got with your HR21 should already be an RF remote if you choose to use it that way.

#3 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:14 AM

for the past week or so i have had continuing problems getting my hr21-700 to respond to the remote control. it's not the batteries, i put brand new ones in and am still having the problem. the box either only accepts half the commands i put in, or none at all. from reading other threads i tried the RBR and it works, but for diminishing amounts of time. at this point i have to RBR 2or 3 times a day. is there any solution for this? would a RF remote work better?

If your remote has an "R" suffix, it is RF capable, such as RC64R. You just need to go in the system setup menu to change it over. As far as your comments about your HR not responding, many of us experience that. Another issue is that my Harmony remote does a double command with each button press. I think it gets worse when I have two recordings going and possibly the guide is updating.

The only other thing that has been mentioned is if you have an LCD, it might interfere with the IR command. If you do have one, you might try shielding your HR from your LCD and see if that helps.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#4 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:09 AM

It is posible you are getting interference from the backlight of your TV. If you have an LCD TV, the backlight can interfere with the IR remote.

Try this:
Reposition the directv device so it is further in front of the TV
Reposition the directv device so it has a shelf between the TV and device
Turn the backlight down on the TV

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#5 OFFLINE   larrydavid

larrydavid

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:56 PM

well i came home from work and wanted to try your suggestions...unfortunately the box now will not respond at all to either remote control (i tried the one from my box upstairs as well) even after attempting 2 RBR's and unplugging it for a half hour. called Dtv to have a replacement box sent out and, of course, got a recording saying "agents are not currently able to access customer accounts, please call back again later".

#6 OFFLINE   steve053

steve053

Godfather

• Registered
  • 327 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:19 AM

Sounds exaclty what happened to my HR20-100 in Jan/Feb of 2008. The dvr worked perfectly for 9 months, then intermittant problems just like you. It got so bad that it would lock up my system for hours at a time, and rbr's didn't work.

I finally tracked it down to interference from my plasma tv (which had been there from day one, so it took me a while to narrow it down). Moving my HR into an enclosed shelving system and adding an ir blaster (hotlink pro) ALL of my problems went away. I've been up and running for almost a year and a half without a single recurrance of the problem.
HR34 hardwired to router
Panasonic 50" Plasma (TH50PX60U)
Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR707)
Harmony 670 Remote
Polk speakers /Velodyne sub

spam firewall