Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PC requirements for MediaShare

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   malakajim

malakajim

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:07 PM

Hi all, this is my first post here. Long time DTV subscriber, but never had any issues or considered doing anything other than "watching on my TV".

Well a few things have me changing my mind, 1st being all the available apps out there, 2nd being a new baby and wanting to view pics on bigscreen and finally my old PC crapped the bed recently (RIP).

So the ancient PC is really what kept me from trying to install MedialShare or Directv2PC and trying to network my DVR's.

Now that I'm in the market, I was curious as to what features I should look for in a tower. I know a good video card is essential, and decent speed processor,but would a dual core be needed over say a P4, etc... I was thinking about one of the HP MediaCenter towers. Anything I should stay away from or definitely have?

This may not end up being a brand new, store bought unit, so keep that in mind.

Thanks alot.
Big Daddy D.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:52 PM

You won't even be able to buy anything but at LEAST a dual-core. If you spend at least $350 on *any* desktop (without monior included), you'll have plenty of performance for normal use. Obviously, if you're a gamer, video editor, or 3D modeler, you'll want a lot more performance and are prepared to pay for it, but for most folks, PCs in the $350-500 range are more than enough.

#3 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:15 PM

Copied the following from the directv.com website (change Category to Directv2PC):

What do I need to get DIRECTV2PC to work at my home?

You need to be a DIRECTV subscriber with at least one DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR receiver _ with DVR service activated. Your receiver must be connected to your home network and a DIRECTV2PC-compliant computer must also be connected to your home network. A DIRECTV2PC-compliant computer must meet the minimum system recommendations, which are: Dual core CPU, 512 MB Ram, 256 MB Graphics, and Windows XP with Service Pack 2.

:)

#4 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:56 PM

Pretty much any new junker PC you can buy today is more then powerful enough to do Mediashare, DirecTV2PC and pretty much anything else other then higher end gaming.

My wife's computer is nearly 6 years old and it can do Mediashare just fine. It can also do DirecTV2PC fine as well other then streaming HD programs. It just doesn't quite have the horsepower to do HD (only a single core P4, dual core didn't even exist when I built that PC).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...