Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Single Headed LNB for HD, and Questions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rook

rook

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:01 AM

I was getting the "Your reciever has not been able to update its guide information for over an hour" message. So I called Directv and they sent me a technician gratis. He switched out the LNBs and left. The next day the message came back and I called him directly. I wasn't home, but he said he'd install the NEW HD LNB head while I wasn't home and me to call him when I go home and he'd walk me thru the setup

I had the Slimline dish with the multi-headed LNB rack

He installed a new LNB with just one head. I called him and he had me rerun the satellite setup selecting the Slimline 3 this time instead of the Slimline 5 I previously had.

I did the setup and it came back with 3 of the 3 tests coming back bad. He then had me do the reset, 0-2-4-6-8 trick to force a new software update. I did that and reran the satellite setup and it still came back with bad tests (sometime 3 out of 6, sometimes 4 out of 6 bad)

Meanwhile - I've had no problems with the picture or recieving channels, but I haven't had it running long enough to see if I'm still getting the guide error message.

BTW - I was getting the message on both of my HD recievers and the both use B-Band converters

Any ideas on why I'm not passing these system test? (It's the one that test the voltages on each lnb)
HR21 w/ 1tb esata Hard drive
HR22 Stock

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   rook

rook

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:51 AM

Pretty sure this is what he installed -

Posted Image

DIRECTV SL3S Slimline Ka Ku LNBF f 3 Satellites w/ Built-In SWM
This is what you need if you have a Directv SlimLine dish antenna and want to upgrade to a single wire setup. This lnbf is used in markets that do not need to use the 110 and 119 satellites to get all of your programming. The SL3S lnbf is able to pick up 3 satellite locations for DIRECTV high defintion programming on one lnbf. This lnbf picks up programming from the 99, 101, and 103 satellites. The SL3S LNB is designed with an built-in 8-channel multiswitch which allows you to have multiple satellite feeds at once. This means that a single output can carry satellite signal from all 3 satellites in the sky.

HR22 Stock

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:51 AM

Not sure why the tests aren't passing, but you shouldn't have the guide data problems anymore, as the SL3 LNB pulls guide data from 101 always. You obviously had something blocking your Line-Of-Site to 119, so your old LNB, which tried to pull guide data from there, wasn't able to get a signal, and thus your guide errors.

And he almost certainly did NOT install a SWM LNB. There are conventional and SWM versions of the SL3. He'd have had to change a number of other things to move you to a SWM system.

#4 OFFLINE   rook

rook

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:57 AM

I'm guessing you are right as
This requires a power inserter and he never entered my house... hmmmm.
HR22 Stock

#5 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,556 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:07 AM

Just to clarify. How many cables are coming from the dish? 1 or 4?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#6 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:09 AM

Those tests are odd sometimes. Had them fail, just swap tuner cables and passes.
Anyway test will fail under 80 or 82.

#7 OFFLINE   rook

rook

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:23 AM

I'll have to inspect it better when I get home.

What do you mean tests will fail under 80 or 82? Signal strength.
Most of my strengths are in the 90's. Totally unimpeded view of the sky.
HR22 Stock

#8 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:27 AM

I'll have to inspect it better when I get home.

What do you mean tests will fail under 80 or 82? Signal strength.
Most of my strengths are in the 90's. Totally unimpeded view of the sky.

Check all individual transponders. Only one and the test will fail.

#9 OFFLINE   rook

rook

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:48 AM

It is definitely the Slimline 3 without the SWM, it has a 4-Way Multiswitch, but not the SWM

Posted Image
HR22 Stock

spam firewall