Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

msnbchd is on!!!

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   tvjay

tvjay

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:32 PM

As a DirecTV customer if you Dish people want to give up MSNBC in HD, I'd be glad to take it! I say if CNN, FOX, CNBC, FOX Business and even the Weather channel are in HD why not MSNBC. Oh and CNN is in HD but broadcast almost all of their mid-day stuff in wonderful SD so if MSNBC will broadcast the whole day in HD (don't know if they are) then they are above CNN in my book.
HDTV: Sony Bravia KDL-40W4100
DirecTV Receiver: HR22-100 (manufactured 9/8/09)
DirecTV Dish: AU9-S Slimline

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:59 PM

Absolutely and unequivocally WRONG. It's simply an outright lie. There are numerous sources of ratings information available to the public (here's but one). MSNBC in no way beats either of the other two mainstream cable news outlets at any time of the day or night. They actually have abysmal ratings 24 hours a day. Of CNN, FoxNews, and MSNBC, the latter barely musters half (if that) the viewers of whoever is in second place on any given day. Phil Griffin appears to be as dishonest as the network's reporting practices (just my opinion).

Sad that E* chose to run the quote in its press release.

You be the judge...

You do know that "total viewers" is not the standard that the advertising world places on ratings and where they do their ad buys, don't you?

Total viewers is one aspect of the rating games, but it's all about key demographics. And in some key "money" demographics, certain MSNBC show beats CNN shows. And on some occasions even beats out Fox.

Most of the ratings system are propriety information and is not releasable without paying for it. Do you think Nielsen and Arbitron give away their information freely? So it's kind of useless to discuss "ratings" without all the facts.

And for someone that doesn't really grasp ratings to call someone who is a professional on the ratings system dishonest is pathetic.

Edited by Rob, 09 July 2009 - 06:12 PM.

It's only tv!

#43 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,716 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:23 PM

For those wondering how Dish claims to be the "only pay-tv provider carrying MSNBCHD nationally"... while being aware that the channel is available on some cable outlets.

Consider it as a bit of marketing spin. Since there is no "national" cable provider in that no single cable company provides service all over the US... the only "national" players then are Dish and DirecTV... so by those terms, Dish is the only "national" provider carrying the channel "nationally" until DirecTV picks it up even if every single cable outlet + FIOS + U-verse were to pick it up tomorrow.

It makes a catchy headline, but I wanted to head-off the potential "Dish isn't the only one" replies :)

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#44 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,492 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:26 PM

For those wondering how Dish claims to be the "only pay-tv provider carrying MSNBCHD nationally"... while being aware that the channel is available on some cable outlets.

Consider it as a bit of marketing spin. Since there is no "national" cable provider in that no single cable company provides service all over the US... the only "national" players then are Dish and DirecTV... so by those terms, Dish is the only "national" provider carrying the channel "nationally" until DirecTV picks it up even if every single cable outlet + FIOS + U-verse were to pick it up tomorrow.

It makes a catchy headline, but I wanted to head-off the potential "Dish isn't the only one" replies :)

So if you are along side the road in the desert in your RV outfitted with the right Dish equipment, you too can enjoy MSNBCHD.:sure:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#45 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:27 PM

Sad that E* chose to run the quote in its press release.

Nielsen's May 2009 ratings are in

MSNBC Beats CNN (Again)
May was the third month in a row that MSNBC beat CNN in the weekday prime demo and the second in three months beating CNN in total viewers in weekday primetime, solidifying its standing as the #2 network in weekday primetime.

http://www.huffingto...e_n_210500.html
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#46 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:34 PM

I don't really see what HD would bring to TCM since all it shows are older movies
which are not HD. Some are silent to boot.

Yes, some old, old, old films from 100 years ago were grainy in quality, but you go back 80 years and the quality of film emulsion had progressed to the point of being much better than even 1080p.

Have you ever watched "The Wizard of OZ" in HD - it was marvelous, and they even kept the OAR (4X3).
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#47 OFFLINE   CoriBright

CoriBright

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:37 PM

MSNBC looks great in HD. And that's all that needs to be said. Thank you Dish.
Cari
www.coribright.com
www.juganet.com
www.jaredletochat.com
www.doausa.com

#48 OFFLINE   booger

booger

Legend

• Registered
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:26 PM

More news, yea......

I'll celebrate if/when ESPNU HD is made available but hey, Dish will probably add it about a year after Direct. It'll take that long for Charlie to negotiate a 'deal'.

#49 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 629 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:35 PM

I don't really see what HD would bring to TCM since all it shows are older movies
which are not HD. Some are silent to boot.

There are a number of 1952 and later movies shown on TCM in letter box/wide screen format. Imagine "Ben Hur" in HD. It is these movies which HD will improve the viewing experience. TCM shows movies dating from the beginning of film through the 1980s. While their fare is generally older movies, they do show more recent movies, as well.

While this has nothing to do with MSNBC; a little information neede dto be provided about TCM. By the way, FOX Movie Channel, which is similar tp TCM in format, also would benefit with HD, for the same reasons with letter box/wide screen movies.

#50 OFFLINE   thestaton

thestaton

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:05 PM

:icon_da:

Props to Dish & MSNBC. Can't wait for D* to pick it up.

#51 OFFLINE   Nashcat

Nashcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:18 AM

You do know that "total viewers" is not the standard that the advertising world places on ratings and where they do their ad buys, don't you?

Total viewers is one aspect of the rating games, but it's all about key demographics. And in some key "money" demographics, certain MSNBC show beats CNN shows. And on some occasions even beats out Fox.

Most of the ratings system are propriety information and is not releasable without paying for it. Do you think Nielsen and Arbitron give away their information freely? So it's kind of useless to discuss "ratings" without all the facts.

And for someone that doesn't really grasp ratings to call someone who is a professional on the ratings system dishonest is pathetic.

Sure, I know it's not the "advertising standard," but this is not an advertising or broadcast industry rag. It's a public forum where mostly just plain Joe and Jane come to discuss matters of real world importance. I think most here would consider that for the purpose of this discussion, unless you and I are advertisers, the only relevant numbers are total viewers.

The numbers your "professional" chose to use were the ones that reflected favorably on his network, and for obvious reasons... he's the President of MSNBC. It's no secret that he, along with, and under the guidance and control of GE's Jeff Immult and NBC's Jeff Zucker, have helped to run an outstanding network straight into the ground. In fact, I figure they’re about halfway to the mantle by now. NBC News is in a post-credibility posture.

I couldn't care less which network has the best ratings. I just want to hear the truth. They all have their faults, but NBC is the widely acknowledged lackey in that department, and it's no surprise when you consider that GE stands to reap untold billions if Cap & Trade (what a moronic name for an energy bill) gets passed. Think they don't have a vested interest in keeping this administration’s stem greased? Ray Charles could have seen that...

Phil Griffin made no distinction as to which numbers he elected to use, and for the claim to be made in a press release intended to be seen by subscribers and potential subscribers (lay people), it is obviously misleading to them. It's his network he's touting? See what I mean about credibility? It's the NBC paradigm.

In the daily ratings that I see (as of just Wednesday), MSNBC has nowhere near the viewers of the other two, except occasionally one hour of the day, but if you want to use the youngster demographic and two month old data, go ahead - there are a slew of cheesy network execs that would just love to talk to you about 30 second spots. The only numbers that make sense to the real world are for total viewers. That's the only true measurement of the popularity of programming, just like the vote tally in most elections (Al Gore not withstanding). The rhyme or reason that advertisers and network execs use bears little resemblance to reality.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/category/ratings/top-news/cable-news

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/ratings/

Olbermann on occasion tops Campbell Brown, but that's the only hour of the ratings day that I ever see MSNBC topping CNN, but together they don't come close to adding up to O'Reilly's numbers.

Nielsen's May 2009 ratings are in

MSNBC Beats CNN (Again)
May was the third month in a row that MSNBC beat CNN in the weekday prime demo and the second in three months beating CNN in total viewers in weekday primetime, solidifying its standing as the #2 network in weekday primetime.

http://www.huffingto...e_n_210500.html

Btw, Hobby, sad that you chose to quote the Huffingwindbag Post. Whether you like Sara Palin or not, they can't have a shred of decency or credibility to have run a story entitled "Palin Will Run In '12 On More Retardation Platform." Oh, you’ll find only an apology there now. They were forced to remove it in short order.

Pathetic, indeed... Now you know the meaning of the word.

#52 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:27 AM

We have now went from 'dishonest' to 'misleading.' It's a press release. You put your best spin forward. Any business is going to do that. So I'm a little skepical of your motives on the discussion on MSNBC and their ratings. I suggest your motives are political. And it has no place here. Move on please. Save it for freerepublic and Newsbusters

Edited by Rob, 10 July 2009 - 05:34 AM.

It's only tv!

#53 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,016 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:35 AM

BBC World Service (Shortwave and the Internet), BBC News International (I wish DISH will add it); this is where you get your balance.

I still can't get over them pronouncing Obama as oh-bomber.

Al Jazeera is unbiased by the standards set by American news channels.

#54 OFFLINE   lpmiller

lpmiller

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:06 PM

news has never been unbiased. It's a business, that requires viewers/readers to make money. As people seem unable to do anything but gravitate towards their own worldview, all the major news organizations pick a target and go for it.

Media is a whore, always has been. Certainly it has been since William Randolf Hearst, but even going all the way back to the founding of the country, media has been targeted to like minded people. People complain about it, then continue to watch media targeting them, all the way shaking their head at the other fools watching the other media that targets them. We are all johns on the streets cruising for a good time.

Having said that, it's a new channel in HD. There is no bad in that at all. I'm happy for any and all HD that graces my TV.

#55 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,716 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:19 PM

This thread is getting really close to having ran its course.

Aside from the quote from an MSNBC rep in the press release, I'm not really sure what the relevance of ratings is anyway...

All this thread really was meant to be about was a new channel that launched on Dish in HD this week.

As with any channel, some will like it... some will hate it... others will be apathetic.

This is not a referendum on what channel is the best or most popular or any of that.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#56 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:22 PM

We have now went from 'dishonest' to 'misleading.' It's a press release. You put your best spin forward. Any business is going to do that. So I'm a little skepical of your motives on the discussion on MSNBC and their ratings. I suggest your motives are political. And it has no place here. Move on please. Save it for freerepublic and Newsbusters

Aw, c'mon Rob. Nashcat's rantings are great. Do you really think he's running for office or employed by Fox? For the most part, the discussions have been rather interesting and thought provoking with minimal name-calling.

I agree it's off-topic but it is about MSNBC and who they are----in HD or SD. Now the leftward leaning is merely a whole lot (1080i) clearer.:D
All I want is a Perfect DVR!

#57 OFFLINE   Nashcat

Nashcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:44 PM

Yeah, I guess I "caved" to spare your Tender Feelings and changed it to misleading. At the very least it's that. You've actually added to my point by "explaining" his spin. Again, it's the NBC paradigm - if you don't like the facts, make up your own.

You're entitled to your skepticism. No problem. However, you would be dead wrong about my motives. I align to no political party. I’m for what I think is right for the country. Distorted reporting of the news is what has no place.

I'm glad MSNBC is now in HD (to stay on topic...) - it's why we buy the sets, but I watch all of them every day. Then I’m the judge. I suggest that if you did the same, you might be more enlightened by what you hear and see. The news, as reported, isn’t always the news as it happened. I don’t like news to have a spin put on it. On the other hand, I don’t think it’s wise to constantly tell your viewers that you’re fair and balanced, either. If indeed you are, they’re smart enough to be able to see that. However, contrary to popular opinion on the left, I think Fox News does do a better job of telling both sides of an issue. I base that opinion on having watched them all for a good portion of the day.

As an example, O’Reilly and Olbermann go head to head every evening. Olbermann will never say anything bad about the left and nothing good about the right. O’Reilly will hold anyone’s feet to the fire, no matter what side of the aisle. Don’t you think that has a little something to do with why his ratings far outpace the others combined? If there’s close to a 50-50 split politically in this country, and if people tend to flock toward the media that targets them (Mr. Miller), that doesn’t wash. We’re NOT lemmings, and we DO want to see accurate reporting. And we want our elected officials to account for their actions.

#58 OFFLINE   nataraj

nataraj

Godfather

• Banned User
  • 260 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:02 PM

Great. Is anyone with absolute getting this - thats what I want to know. Not political ranting by FoxNews fans.

If someone is not interested in MSNBC why are they here thread cr*pping ? They got the old thread about MSNBC closed by doing the same thing.

#59 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:27 PM

I have nothing to back this up but, I do not think we are going to see anything added to the absolute package that is not at least added to the turbo packages. If memory serves me correctly, absolute has been promised nothing since it was done away with and, the only additions that those accounts have received are channels that were added to platinum only.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#60 OFFLINE   lolo

lolo

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:49 PM

I live in Montana and have all HD stations available on DISH.....except MSNBC HD. After going through the overseas call center and talking with the next tier representative I was initially told MSNBC HD is NOT available on DISH. I read the nice lady the press release.....she went away for a bit.....then was told it would be available maybe in a week or so. I see the station listed at 9511 but get the "this is a subscription channel" red box. Once again, I subscribe to all HD stations. From the forum it appears the station is available. I've done the receiver reboot, etc. Any thoughts? Thanks.....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...