Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish 500 - Hawaiian Style

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   rbgator95

rbgator95

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 06:11 PM

Dish is installing the 500H and 500HW for new customers and as an upgrade for current customers. They require a 2 year contract and charge an extra $6.00 a month. A local dealer might sell you one but they can charge any price they can get. You can get all the programming available in Hawaii with three standard 24 inch Hawaii dishes. Buy what you need before moving to Maui and you save the exorbitant shipping charges. There are many sources for d mount 24 inch dishes. See my previous posting for my installation in Waimea on the big island.

Kenblock50: Is Dish charging you the extra $6/month for Hawaii configuration, since you are not using a 500H or 500HW?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Kenblock50

Kenblock50

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:54 PM

Dish is not charging me the $6.00 a month. Since I supplied the dish and did the installation myself there is no extra monthly charge. I get the impression that all new customers in Hawaii are getting the Dish 500H as part of their installation and are charged the $6.00 fee.

#23 OFFLINE   Kenblock50

Kenblock50

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

Ever since I installed My three dish Hawaii system I have had intermittent trouble getting my program guide updates. I have tried all the recommended procedures to get the updates. Nothing seemed to work. When the receivers would begin to update the activity would stop in 20 seconds with no update. I theorized that the problem had something to do with the fact that we do not get any odd transponders on 129 in Hawaii and the program guide is on an odd tranceiver. The other day I ran into Ron The Satellite Guy while he was on a call in my neighborhood. He suggested I do a check switch with the alternate box checked. When I did this the check swith did an extra step that detected the fact that I had even transponders and one spot beam. I followed the new check switch procedure on all of my receivers and the program guide downloaded perfectly on the first try. It seems that no one at Dish support nows about this. IT is interestin that reception is verified on all LNB's but the one for the 129 LNB is colored red.

#24 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,044 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

attachicon.gif4/1/0/2/7/18985.attach

attachicon.gif4/1/0/2/7/18986.attach
HI now has a D500 antenna - it is 32 inches width X 31 inches height and houses a Y-bracket slightly wider than the Y-bracket for the DPP twin LNBs used in the mainland. James Long provides a good explanation as to why a DPP twin does not work in HI; it comes down to the greater longitudinal distance between the 110 and 119 slots (compared to that distance at higher mainland latitudes) means the 110 and 119 LNBs must be further apart for a HI antenna.

Interesting;

Though with all due respect to James and others who may hold this view, I never really understood it that way.

Since the dish's diameter is larger for increased gain due to the weaker signal area in Hawaii, and assuming the same F/D ratio is to be maintained, the focal length of a parabolic reflector to the LNBF must be increased as well by the same proportion.

So for a multi-sat dish which receives both satellites off-axis, the two focal points for 110 and 119 are now further apart than for the domestic D500 due to the longer focal length. Therefore the feedhorns of the LNBFs must be spaced further apart as well by that same amount.       

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#25 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,858 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:44 AM

Pure ray tracing idea ... angles are slightly different and a focal point is far for bigger dish.
Sats slots still the same, just taking in account you ground station position.

#26 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

Since Hawai'i is much further south that the continental US, the angle between 110 and 119 is greater there than it is in North America (you are slightly closer the satellites than we are), so, your lnbs need to be further apart or the dish needs to be moved closer to them (you might try a stack of washers on the back of the reflector - I haven't the slightest idea how many - trial and error I guess).

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#27 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,044 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

Since Hawai'i is much further south that the continental US, the angle between 110 and 119 is greater there than it is in North America (you are slightly closer the satellites than we are), so, your lnbs need to be further apart or the dish needs to be moved closer to them (you might try a stack of washers on the back of the reflector - I haven't the slightest idea how many - trial and error I guess).

But if what you're saying is true, then that would mean if the D500H was installed somewhere in the CONUS, it wouldn't work. As the 110 and 119 focal points would miss their respective feedhorn throats on the LNBFs.

Now, I've only been a DIRECTV sub. but its a similar situation with their Alaska/Hawaii dish solution. A larger 1.2m dish reflector with a longer focal length and correspondingly increased physical spread between the 99, 101, and 103 feedhorns as well as with the 110 and 119 LNBFs on the (now seldom used) 110/119 1.2m companion dish over their CONUS versions.

Yet I know for a fact both these dishes work here on the mainland U.S. with the expected increased signal strengths due to their greater gain and higher signal power levels of the satellite footprints as opposed to them on the territory of Hawaii or Alaska.

I really think in lieu of the satellites some 23,500 mi. distance, (from earth's center) the angular separation between them as seen from earth shouldn't vary significantly with the observer's latitude or longitude to have to spread the LNB feedhorns like this. But is necessary for an increased diameter multisat dish with a longer focal length to maintain the same F/D ratio.      

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

Protected By... spam firewall...And...