Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Philanthropist

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,523 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:53 AM

Anyone else watching this series on Wednesdays on NBC? It isn't bad though it has been a bit more "James Bond meets The Unit" than "The Millionaire", particularly episode 3 last week's episode in Paris.

Episodes 1 & 2 are being repeated on USA Monday night/Tuesday morning depending on time zone.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 02:10 PM

It is a pretty show. I can't say much more than that. It's not bad, it's not great though.

#3 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,470 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:10 PM

As usual Phrelin, you and I are watching the same shows. I also enjoyed it, but I thought with all the money Rist has, he could have come up with a better way to track the younger sisiter in Moldava (or wherever) and the same with finding the safe house. Can't he buy some high-tech electronics stuff? And shouldn't he have a better bodyguard/go-to guy? Maybe an ex SF guy or something that could do more shady stuff to help him out like he needed in Burma or Paris? I also don't think the actors portraying his partner and the partner's wife have chemistry. He, on the other hand, has good chemistry with the partner's wife.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   Dario33

Dario33

Godfather

• Registered
  • 486 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:28 AM

I caught the first couple, but was not really feeling it. They're building up on my DVR -- not sure I'll continue to watch though.

#5 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 04:52 PM

It's fallen out of our main rotation, now. We might catch up with it mid-September, just before the new season starts.

#6 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,223 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:41 AM

I think the show plays to the "what we would like to be if we had that kind of money" in us.

#7 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:16 AM

I've been recording the show but haven't watched any episodes yet. I'm waiting to see if it will stick around to start watching it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#8 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:08 AM

I don't believe there is really much intention of the show "sticking around". It's a summer show. It'll last the summer. It probably won't be picked up for a second series.

#9 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:32 PM

I don't believe there is really much intention of the show "sticking around". It's a summer show. It'll last the summer. It probably won't be picked up for a second series.

by sticking around I meant lasting the summer... So far it's only at 4 episodes, I wouldn't invest time in it unless I knew it was going to 10.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#10 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:48 PM

Hmm... I didn't really get the impression that the show was serial in that way. We've seen two or three episodes. We may watch a few more episodes in September, and maybe a few more in December.

#11 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:19 AM

Hmm... I didn't really get the impression that the show was serial in that way. We've seen two or three episodes. We may watch a few more episodes in September, and maybe a few more in December.

I didn't say or imply that it was serial... I'm simply not going to start watching a new show until it has proven it will be around for at least a season. I'm not going to invest my time in a show that is canceled after 5 episodes whether it's serial or not.

I waited until Leverage had aired it's entire first season before I watched a single episode. I waited until I knew the last 2 episodes of Harper's Island were going to air before I started watching it. I'll be waiting for Dark Blue to finish this season before I watch a single episode, and so on...

The only TV Series I will start watching from the beginning are shows on Showtime or HBO because I know they won't cancel halfway thru the season...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#12 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:53 AM

Okay, I just found that interesting. For me, I'll watch anything, even if it is just one episode, if it isn't serial (i.e., doesn't leave the viewers hanging), and is entertaining. If there are more episodes, that's good too.

#13 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:46 PM

Thank you hulu.com. I missed the first four episodes of this show and it now has a SL set up. Good show.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#14 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:22 PM

I'm still on the fence. Not really sure if I like this show or not.....It just has not reached out and grabbed me as yet.

“The cave you fear to enter, holds the treasure you seek.” 
― 
Joseph Campbell

#15 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:02 AM

It's running out of time to do so. :)

#16 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,489 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:55 PM

I've got 8 episodes of this recorded.

Start watching OR delete?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#17 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,470 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:22 PM

I've got 8 episodes of this recorded.

Start watching OR delete?

My opinion is delete.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#18 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:18 PM

Awwww, Really? :)

“The cave you fear to enter, holds the treasure you seek.” 
― 
Joseph Campbell

#19 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:04 AM

What's the alternative? If you'd be watching The Listener instead, then don't delete: Watch The Philanthropist.

#20 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,523 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:54 AM

I kinda liked The Philanthropist. I'd change my description from "James Bond meets The Unit" to "Bill Gates imagines himself as James Bond." But I kinda liked it.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

Protected By... spam firewall...And...