Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Philanthropist

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,523 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:20 AM

I just did not like the naivete of the main character. He seemed to think he and his money (by themselves) could solve the world's problems. And his way was always the right way. The best episode was the one with the former leader of Burma (Myanmar) because she would not answer his question about which was better for her people. And he had to really think.

I also take personal offense to the numerous shows that portray veterans as so screwed up that they commit crimes. I have not seen one incident of that in real life. The young Marine committing ID theft and everything he did and justifying with his fear of deployment and the loss of his brother? BS. Every Marine I know would have turned the wallet in immediately.

There are so many possilities for using veterans in storylines that don't have to involve them as cowards or messed up psychos, but I have yet to see one.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,543 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:56 PM

I just did not like the naivete of the main character. He seemed to think he and his money (by themselves) could solve the world's problems. And his way was always the right way. The best episode was the one with the former leader of Burma (Myanmar) because she would not answer his question about which was better for her people. And he had to really think.

I also take personal offense to the numerous shows that portray veterans as so screwed up that they commit crimes. I have not seen one incident of that in real life. The young Marine committing ID theft and everything he did and justifying with his fear of deployment and the loss of his brother? BS. Every Marine I know would have turned the wallet in immediately.

There are so many possilities for using veterans in storylines that don't have to involve them as cowards or messed up psychos, but I have yet to see one.

Well, I was uncomfortable with that one until the end when
Spoiler

There are vets who do have psych problems wandering amidst the adventurous kids thumbing there way up and down Highway 101, something I'm also uncomfortable with. Though apparently I'm not uncomfortable enough to do anything for them, I'm ashamed to admit. My mother's church in the Salinas Valley does try to help them.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#23 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,495 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:56 PM

What's the alternative? If you'd be watching The Listener instead, then don't delete: Watch The Philanthropist.

I was going to probably watch this or Dark Blue. So far, I'm liking the Philanthropists chances. Either one, I'd watch late at night while surfing the internet at the same time, so the third alternative would be SportCenter or Poker Shows or Letterman or American Chopper reruns.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#24 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:41 AM

We felt Dark Blue was too dark. We didn't finish the first episode.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...