Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Broken Optical Output?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   decubs

decubs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:11 AM

Hi all,

I've been having to 'share' my optical (TOSLINK) cable between my new Blu-Ray player and D* box, and I think I may have broken something in the box last night, trying to plug the TOSLINK back in. When I tried to plug the optical back in, it simply would not go, and the input itself looked a bit ragged; I couldn't look further in because of the red laser shooting out of it, but is it possible to damage this input? Realize this sounds like a dumb question, but I seem to remember there being some sort of little flap or gate on the input and wondering if I accidentally snapped it off and got it wedged inside?

Does anyone know if there's a fee or hassle to replace a box for this reason?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,498 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:02 AM

You should be able to get a replacement if the optical output is broken. It's free if you have DirecTV's Equipment Protection Plan, otherwise it's ~$20 for shipping.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   MartyS

MartyS

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:07 AM

Hi all,

I've been having to 'share' my optical (TOSLINK) cable between my new Blu-Ray player and D* box, and I think I may have broken something in the box last night, trying to plug the TOSLINK back in. When I tried to plug the optical back in, it simply would not go, and the input itself looked a bit ragged; I couldn't look further in because of the red laser shooting out of it, but is it possible to damage this input? Realize this sounds like a dumb question, but I seem to remember there being some sort of little flap or gate on the input and wondering if I accidentally snapped it off and got it wedged inside?

Thanks!

Did you sign up for the protection plan? If so, and it is not working, they'll most likely replace it. But since you're seeing the laser. it might not be the door stuck in there...

However, they will probably want to send out a tech just to be sure that it's the box. On a lark, have you tried a new TOSLINK cable? I had a problem with a TOSLINK, and when I did some maintenance on my entertainment unit, and plugged back in the cables, the problem started to happen on my DVD. Turned out that somehow I broke the fiber (or whatever) in the cable. Once I put on a new cable, it worked fine.

You also might want to consider an HDMI/OPTICAL switcher. I have the Octava 4 port switch... http://www.octavainc...ort_toslink.htm ...and it works like a charm.
Marty

My Setup

Life is in HD and 3D -- be sure to enjoy it!!

Never argue with an idiot.
He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

#4 OFFLINE   beer_geek

beer_geek

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:07 AM

The little door broke on mine during initial installation. So I wouldn't be surprised. I was able to get it out and it works just fine.

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:22 AM

Hi all,

Thanks!

Do a menu restart and when all the lights go out, pull the power to the DVR. This way you can work on getting the optical door flap out without the red light blinding you. Also, go buy second optical cable, you can order very good quality ones for under $10 from monoprice.com. That way you arent constantly disconnecting it from the back. Personally, at the very least they should charge you the $20 S&H fee since you broke it from abnormal use. Those types of connections are not meant to be plugged/unplugged alot, they just arent designed for it and you can avoid it for the price of a $10 cable.

#6 OFFLINE   beer_geek

beer_geek

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:33 AM

...Those types of connections are not meant to be plugged/unplugged alot, ...

Or, in my case, once.

#7 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:55 PM

Decubs,

If one of your devices and your receiver can handle digital coax (looks like an RCA jack), then it'll work just as well as optical and you won't have to swap your toslink cable all the time. You can pick up one for just a couple of bucks at monoprice.com.

In any case, I'd get a needle or something and try to dig out that broken flap first, like beer_geek said, to avoid the hassle of a replacement.

#8 OFFLINE   decubs

decubs

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:12 PM

Decubs,

If one of your devices and your receiver can handle digital coax (looks like an RCA jack), then it'll work just as well as optical and you won't have to swap your toslink cable all the time. You can pick up one for just a couple of bucks at monoprice.com.

In any case, I'd get a needle or something and try to dig out that broken flap first, like beer_geek said, to avoid the hassle of a replacement.

Thank you all so much. I'll definitely try some surgery before I go and order a new box (especially since there's no other compelling factor to get a new box... yet).

But if that doesn't work, I'll look into digital coax - can it handle 5.1 and all that, just like optical?

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,338 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:16 PM

The red light that you see is actually just a common red LED, not some sort of high powered laser bent on burning your retinas.

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,338 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:17 PM

But if that doesn't work, I'll look into digital coax - can it handle 5.1 and all that, just like optical?

Digital coaxial is actually better than optical.

#11 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:10 PM

Oh, THIS I've got to hear...

#12 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:31 PM

Why?

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#13 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:44 PM

Why?

Maybe the shielding on the coax prevents all the captive 1's & 0's from trying to escape and return to the wild? Or maybe the 1's are straighter and the 0's are rounder or more oval, take your pick. ;) Other than that, I got nothing. :confused::lol:
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#14 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:03 PM

I wasnt going to be the 1st one to call him out, but I called shenanigans as soon as I read that.

#15 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:42 PM

I had the door break on one of mine too.. without the door the cable doesn't latch well.. I managed to hold it in place and get the cable in.. still have that dvr.. just been so long I don't remember which one it is anymore :)

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#16 OFFLINE   MartyS

MartyS

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 04:46 AM

And, this is true because? Really, man... sometimes you can't just make a statement of "fact" without backing it up with any real facts.

At least point us to a source to support that. If it's so much better, then why does almost any high end receiver have multiple optical inputs and maybe a single digital coax input? Could it be that optical really is better than digital coax? If not, why would respectable manufacturers make high end units that don't give the user the highest quality (per your statement) inputs and advise using digital coax?
Marty

My Setup

Life is in HD and 3D -- be sure to enjoy it!!

Never argue with an idiot.
He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

#17 OFFLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Registered
  • 629 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:46 AM

And, this is true because? Really, man... sometimes you can't just make a statement of "fact" without backing it up with any real facts.

At least point us to a source to support that. If it's so much better, then why does almost any high end receiver have multiple optical inputs and maybe a single digital coax input? Could it be that optical really is better than digital coax? If not, why would respectable manufacturers make high end units that don't give the user the highest quality (per your statement) inputs and advise using digital coax?

The optical link requires two additional conversion stages - once to convert the signal to optical, and then another to convert the optical back. Some folks believe any conversion affects the signal, so if you subscribe to that, then you'll think the coax is better.

But I would think that the coax outputs and inputs are buffered to prevent damage if connected to an incorrect source; the buffering could possibly have just as much signal degradation as the optical conversion. If that's so, then it becomes device dependent - does a particular device use a better coax buffer or a better optical converter?

The standard coax cables and connections are a lot more robust than the fiber optic cables and connections; but then again, the optical connections aren't subject to oxidation.

All of that being said, I doubt there's enough degradation of the digital signal using either connection type to have a noticable affect for the viewer/listener. I believe it all comes down to convenience - what inputs/outputs are currently available on your system and what kind of cable do you have handy. ;)

#18 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,338 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:31 AM

Why?

Greater bandwidth. Think of this in terms of the HDMI cable specs recommended for 7.1 audio. There's also a school of thought that says that "jitter" might be worse in optical cabling. Remember that Toslink is typically not some fancy LASER and optical grade glass fiber affair: Toslink is usually a cheap red LED and some sort of plastic fiber with not-so-sure connectors on it. Toslink is rated for UP TO 10' and beyond that, the light loss and diffusion MAY begin to audibly degrade the signal.

The reason that there used to be fewer coaxial connections was that the devices that you might hook up didn't need the bandwidth for 7.1 channels of audio. If you look at some of the newer gear, the coaxial connection count is significantly higher than it used to be (just as the HDMI input counts run higher now). Yamaha has a coax jack for every optical port these days.

The reason that it doesn't matter in the DIRECTV world is that the audio is at most DD5.1. DIRECTV's receiver feature table clearly states that the SD DVRs don't support DD5.1, but the manuals say otherwise.

#19 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:55 AM

Greater bandwidth. Think of this in terms of the HDMI cable specs recommended for 7.1 audio. There's also a school of thought that says that "jitter" might be worse in optical cabling. Remember that Toslink is typically not some fancy LASER and optical grade glass fiber affair: Toslink is usually a cheap red LED and some sort of plastic fiber with not-so-sure connectors on it. Toslink is rated for UP TO 10' and beyond that, the light loss and diffusion MAY begin to audibly degrade the signal.

The reason that there used to be fewer coaxial connections was that the devices that you might hook up didn't need the bandwidth for 7.1 channels of audio. If you look at some of the newer gear, the coaxial connection count is significantly higher than it used to be (just as the HDMI input counts run higher now). Yamaha has a coax jack for every optical port these days.

The reason that it doesn't matter in the DIRECTV world is that the audio is at most DD5.1. DIRECTV's receiver feature table clearly states that the SD DVRs don't support DD5.1, but the manuals say otherwise.

And don't forget those "Monster" cables too... :rolleyes:

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#20 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:19 AM

Good information! Thanks!

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

spam firewall