Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Would you use your R15 more if it had On Demand?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you use an R15 with Ethernet? (89 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you use an R15 with Ethernet?

1. Yes (55 votes [61.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 61.80%

2. No (12 votes [13.48%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.48%

3. I have an HR2x or R22 and don't need that (22 votes [24.72%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.72%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 OFFLINE   Button Pusher

Button Pusher

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 971 posts
  • LocationThe Bluegrass State

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:49 AM

I would definately network my R15 if had the chance. DOD would be great for the daughters bedroom!
Jeff

My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Aztec Pilot

Aztec Pilot

Legend

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:36 AM

I voted no. The TV the R15 is kooked to just got upgraded to HD. So the R15 will likely go back this fall to be replaced with an HR. If I had another place to use it, then I would certainly like ondemand and MRV with the unit.
---------------------------------------------
My Setup

#23 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 825 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:17 PM

My R15 is in my home office. I'd like to do MRV/DOD and Music streams. I have alot of favorites in TVersity that I'd like to play through the R15. I'm thinking about swapping it out with an HR2x just to get the network stuff in my office.

Yep. In fact, substitute PlayOn for TVersity and the above is my situation, too.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#24 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,812 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:18 PM

It is interesting to note that the poll simply asks about ethernet connectivity while the first post specifically mentions that in context with on-demand (and significantly does not mention MRV).

So that makes me wonder if networking were to somehow be enabled on the SD DVRs, if it would be a comprehensive implementation that supported all networking functions, or if it would be limited to on-demand functionality only.

#25 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,649 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:36 PM

That is an interesting question.

Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Confucius

#26 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,399 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:41 PM

I know it's a little late but it's funny you ask. My R15-300 is in my daughters room and she has been complaining to me because she does not have On Demand.

So yes, it is something we would use.

#27 OFFLINE   barney34

barney34

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:50 PM

Yes I would use it and get 4 more for the rest of the rooms it MVR was open too. right now I have the tivo units.

#28 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:03 AM

If DirecTV is considered making the R15 series compatible with a DirecTV rebranded networking adapter (like microsofts usb adapter for the xbox), I think they would sell like hotcakes (or atleast, in a similar fassion to the AM-21).
Sales wouldnt jump immediately, A few CE'ers and board members would purchase them, most of us would wait for a price drop.
Then run an ad campaign that now instead of upgrading to newer hardware you can purchase an adapter to make your current hardware compatible with the new stuff and a small portion of the public would jump on them as well.

I have HR20's. 1 in the bedroom and one in the bar (those being the locations which I watch the most TV). I would love to be able to go in the family room where the R15 is and download some content, and maybe one day down the road watch MRV content from the other 2 (although it'd mostly be HD so unless the R15 got the ability to downres it I'd be S.O.L.). Some of my friends in SD-only households have seriously considered upgrading to an R22 or HDDVR just for the DOD ability, but have decided it's not worth the HD charge. Others I know would enjoy the feature, but wouldnt spend the extra money on the hardware to get it.

So in the shortest of terms: Yes!

EDIT:
Wow... Apparently this sleeping beauty has been awakened...

#29 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:31 AM

If I wasn't in an MPEG4 area and still had my R15s I would want DOD and in teh future MRV on them...
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

#30 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,832 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:05 AM

Way to resurrect an old thread. I had forgotten I even started this one.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

spam firewall