Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Swapped the son's PS3 HDD again

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:29 AM

Well second time replacing the HDD in the boy's PS3. I'm getting to be a pro now... :grin:

So now we went from 20GB to 320GB to now 500GB. I had to use an X-out bit on one of the screws though, I forgot how easily the screws strip out.

I freaked out for a second when I updated to 2.80 and it rebooted to tell me wrong hard drive.... :eek: ! But then I remembered that the unit already thinks it is on 2.80 because of the BIOS. So I immediately restored my system back up (9GB) and all was well. Now reading 465GB of usable space. Whoo Hoo we may not run out of space now! Well for another year..... *sigh* Damn downloadable games..... They should send you a disk so it doesn't need 100% of the game to remain on the HDD.

Oh and now to redownload all of the purchased games. That'll take a few days.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jonkeee

jonkeee

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:36 PM

I've been wanting to do this for a while. Prices on 7200rpm 320gb hard drives are pretty cheap now. Congrats on your mega hard drive! I wish the 360 was upgradable like the PS3.

#3 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:55 PM

With the price difference between the 320 and 500GB note book drives now, I would definately recommend just spending the extra $50. We filled up the 320 about 9 months aftr we installed it, and a tight budget has kept us from upgrading again until now. We have been unable to install several new games that he got for his birthday, so he's happy now.

I bought the Seagate Momentus 500GB 16mb buffer 7200rpm drive.

#4 OFFLINE   jonkeee

jonkeee

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:19 PM

You have any plans for the 320gb you took out? If it's 7200rpm and a Seagate or Western Digital, maybe we could work something out...

#5 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:10 AM

I was going to put it into my laptop pc. Would you be interested in the 160 I want to pull out of that?

The 320 is a WD.

#6 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,602 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:46 AM

What did you use to backup the HDD before swapping it out? I have a 40 gig drive in mine and would like to put larger one in. I also have some stuff I downloaded from the PlayStation Store.

#7 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:46 PM

What did you use to backup the HDD before swapping it out? I have a 40 gig drive in mine and would like to put larger one in. I also have some stuff I downloaded from the PlayStation Store.

I used a 16GB San Disk USB Thumb drive. But I also have a WD 500GB My Book external HD configured for backups as well.

I can email you the instructions on how to format and setup the directory structure for an EHDD, but it is much easier to back up to a thumb drive and redownload the purchased content.

The Store keeps record of all your purchases and you can redownload at any time without paying an additional charge. It also keep track of all the free stuff you download. At the top right corner there's a button for shopping cart, downloads, and checkout. Just click downloads for a complete DL history.

As far as your account settings, setup settings, and game data, it all gets saved during your system backup.

#8 OFFLINE   jonkeee

jonkeee

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:49 PM

Looking to do at least 320gb to make it worth upgrading from 60gb.

As far as downloading things again from the PSN store. It's worth noting that they can only be downloaded 5 times each.

#9 OFFLINE   jonkeee

jonkeee

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 10:52 PM

Well Jason I never heard back from you so I went ahead and ordered a Seagate 320gb 7200rpm drive from Newegg for $65. I must say changing out the hard drive was so pain free.

First, I backed up all my games, saves, etc. to an external USB hard drive. Then, the actual install took only a few minutes. It involves 5 screws and that's it. I took the opportunity to blow the dust out of my vents, while I was at it though so all in all I spent about 10 minutes doing everything. The amount of dust caked in those holes was incredible.

Once it was installed the PS3 knew to ask to format the drive, then I just had to restore my backup from the external hard drive.

It was so painless compared to the DRM Microsoft infects their downloadable games with. I was really pleasantly surprised to be able to copy my games right back over.

I bought a 60gb hard drive recently for my core 360 in the bedroom that cost me $80-85 and I assume is only 5400rpm. I think I'm falling in love with my PS3 again, despite its inferior graphics for most games...

Anyone who hasn't upgraded their PS3 HDD to a 7200rpm I really recommend it. It's so much faster than the stock, and then you don't have to worry about memory management.

#10 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:00 AM

Does the PS3 allow backups to an CIFS mount on a network IP address?

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!
My current setup can be found here!

#11 OFFLINE   jonkeee

jonkeee

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:49 AM

That is way over my head sorry Milkman. Go Gators!

FSU Grad '08
UF Grad '09

#12 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:37 AM

Well Jason I never heard back from you so I went ahead and ordered a Seagate 320gb 7200rpm drive from Newegg for $65. I must say changing out the hard drive was so pain free.

First, I backed up all my games, saves, etc. to an external USB hard drive. Then, the actual install took only a few minutes. It involves 5 screws and that's it. I took the opportunity to blow the dust out of my vents, while I was at it though so all in all I spent about 10 minutes doing everything. The amount of dust caked in those holes was incredible.

Once it was installed the PS3 knew to ask to format the drive, then I just had to restore my backup from the external hard drive.

It was so painless compared to the DRM Microsoft infects their downloadable games with. I was really pleasantly surprised to be able to copy my games right back over.

I bought a 60gb hard drive recently for my core 360 in the bedroom that cost me $80-85 and I assume is only 5400rpm. I think I'm falling in love with my PS3 again, despite its inferior graphics for most games...

Anyone who hasn't upgraded their PS3 HDD to a 7200rpm I really recommend it. It's so much faster than the stock, and then you don't have to worry about memory management.

Sorry, I ended up putting the old drive in my lattitude.

#13 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:38 AM

Does the PS3 allow backups to an CIFS mount on a network IP address?

Don't believe so.

#14 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:15 AM

This is the one thing I wish the XBOX 360 had... I'm still stuck with my launch 20GB hard drive, and I really don't want to pay $150.00 for a 120GB hard drive for the XBOX 360 :(
40" Samsung LCD - LN40B640 (living room)
42" Samsung DLP - HLS4266W
DirecTV HR20-700 Receiver
DirecTV H24-100 Receiver
DirecTV HR24-100 Receiver
Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
XBOX Live, Battle.net, and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud

#15 OFFLINE   jonkeee

jonkeee

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:08 PM

This is the one thing I wish the XBOX 360 had... I'm still stuck with my launch 20GB hard drive, and I really don't want to pay $150.00 for a 120GB hard drive for the XBOX 360 :(

$150 for a 120gb hard drive is beyond ridiculous. The prices Microsoft charges for its accessories/extras in general are absurd. People who complain about the cost of the PS3 really need to look at the total costs incurred besides the initial investment, because overall the PS3 is more affordable.

Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter: $100
PS3 " ": Included

Xbox 360 Rechargeable Battery Pack: $12

Xbox 360 Online Multiplayer Subscription: $50 a year

Plus I hate Microsoft's phony Xbox Live Arcade currency that assumes people are idiots and thus will spend more because the points are confusingly denominated.

Sometimes I really hate Microsoft for being so greedy, but I'm a graphics whore so the fact that the Xbox 360 looks a little bit better graphics-wise than the PS3 is enough to turn me to the darkside.

#16 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:42 PM

People who complain about the cost of the PS3 really need to look at the total costs incurred besides the initial investment, because overall the PS3 is more affordable.

Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter: $100

Xbox 360 Rechargeable Battery Pack: $12

Xbox 360 Online Multiplayer Subscription: $50 a year

Plus I hate Microsoft's phony Xbox Live Arcade currency that assumes people are idiots and thus will spend more because the points are confusingly denominated.

Look at it from the opposite perspective: personally I don't want or NEED a wireless adapter. Plenty of Cat5 around. Rechargeable battery packs are actually $10 for 2 plus the charger (at least last i saw them at Gamestop), and the online play? Integration is tighter and better on Live, and really teh ONLY thing you're paying for with Gold is multiplayer capability.

80 points per dollar. Not tough, either. And you can use them with the Zune Marketplace too.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

spam firewall