Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Movies that don't fit your gender

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Jim Parker

Jim Parker

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:11 PM

I have seen most of the movies on the top 30 list and liked most of them.

Does that make me a girly man? Maybe, but some of the chick flicks also have some nice T&A. OK, now I'm back in the manly man column. :D

However I also like the musicals - Paint Your Wagon, Cats, Phantom, Music Man, etc. Does that make me a manly girly man? I'm soooo confused! :confused:
A brief history of time: BANG!!!!! Expand. Expand faster. Forever. The End (With apologies to Hawking)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Zellio

Zellio

Icon

• Banned User
  • 643 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:42 PM

Movies I liked from that top 30 list:

Titanic
Bridget Jones' Diary
Sleepless In Seattle (I loved that movie at 12-13)
Ghost

I don't get it. Where the hell is the 'manly man' law that states that men must not have emotions to be tough?

Most men I know without emotions aren't 'tough', they're buttholes, and what's funny is that these same type of 'tough' guys are the kinds in gangs who rat each other out if their found out.

Real toughness isn't being an ass and having a lack of emotions. Real toughness means doing the type of things that people would laugh at you for.

I carry around a pink laptop everywhere. Yeah you heard me, Pink. You know what? I'm not gay, and I don't care what anyone says. My laptop gives me 3g internet anywhere, and I couldn't care less how I look in public.

With this said, pink isn't exactly a color that goes with my stuff, black would make a better laptop color, but color, or how men feel, ain't important to me. It's all about the usefulness. It was the last model in the store and I didn't mind it.

It's funny isn't it? Macho guys try to say emotions are bad, colors, etc, when they are simply worried about how other men view them. Doesn't that make you closer to being gay then not caring about how MEN feel about you?

All these macho guys are afraid to show emotion or have pink things because other MEN will view them wrong. They aren't worried at all about how women perceive them, their only fear is how their macho male friends will view them. Personally I wonder how many of them need to come out of the closet, because I don't care what men say about my pink laptop, and I hit on hot ladies any chance I get.

Edited by Zellio, 22 July 2009 - 09:54 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   Zellio

Zellio

Icon

• Banned User
  • 643 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:18 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

In case you thought I was pretending... That IS my laptop, and I've already had nitwits bash me.

Whats funny is that gay men don't like pink either. It's not exactly a color that looks good on a man. It's only bashed by insecure guys.

And considering the 10 gigs of naked ladies I have the laptop, I can't see how a color would make me gay.... But again, I don't get why people get upset. Colors and emotions don't make you straight or gay.

Edited by Zellio, 22 July 2009 - 10:28 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:24 PM

Me thinks thou dost protest too much.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#25 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:28 PM

However I also like the musicals - Paint Your Wagon, Cats, Phantom, Music Man, etc.

Haven't seen any of those, but I'll throw in "Cat Ballou" and "West Side Story".
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#26 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:31 PM

[quote name='BattleZone']I've only seen 2 movies on the "Top 30" listed: Titanic and The Piano. While no doubt Titanic was a love story that happened to be set in a disaster movie, the depiction of the disaster is a big reason I saw it, and the love story wasn't too horribly cliche'.

The Piano was interesting enough to watch on cable for a few reasons:

- spectacular footage of wild Australia
- Harvey Kietel
- Anna Paquin's performance
- music being a key part of a character's happiness

Holly Hunter freaked me out in that movie and I used to think she was hot.

Edited by Jimmy 440, 22 July 2009 - 11:37 PM.
spelling - typing while tired !

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#27 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:15 AM

I've seen every movie on that list made after 1960. I have a wife and 2 daughters (24 and 15) so I see all the 'chick flicks'. I actually like most of them. Most of these films show how messed up people generally are in relationships. It's nice to talk with the girls about what's going on in the movie, what would be a better way too handle it, etc. Most often they just tell me to shut up.:bonk1:

#28 OFFLINE   Ferenczy

Ferenczy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:10 AM

...my list is as follows

1. Nobody's Fool (one of Paul Newman's best performances IMO)

2. Last of the Mohicans

3. Raising Arizona

4. Shaun of the Dead

5. The Bridge on the River Kwai

6. Steel Magnolias

7. My Fair Lady

8. The Notebook

9. The Godfather

10. The Godfather: Part II

...so then to answer your question Chris -

I am a guy and I like #6, #7 and #8 :D
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather...

Not screaming and yelling like the people on his bus.

#29 OFFLINE   Jim Parker

Jim Parker

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:48 PM

Haven't seen any of those, but I'll throw in "Cat Ballou" and "West Side Story".

You ought to check out Paint Your Wagon. It was made in the late 60's IIRC and starred Client Eastwood and Lee Marvin. Eastwood may not be the best singer, but the movie is has some very funny moments and a couple of classic songs.

Cats is a filming of the stage show, so I'm not sure I would really call it a movie.

Phantom of the Opera is a movie based on the stage show. If you want to see an excellent stage production of it, it is showing in Las Vegas now. I went to it a year ago. I think it had the best stage production of any live musical show I have seen yet.

Music Man was remade 4 or 5 years ago. The new version was on Ovation a couple of weeks ago. A bit corny in spots (set about 1915 or so in a small town - Gary Indiana) but still fun.
A brief history of time: BANG!!!!! Expand. Expand faster. Forever. The End (With apologies to Hawking)

#30 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:58 PM

Movies I liked from that top 30 list:

Titanic
Bridget Jones' Diary
Sleepless In Seattle (I loved that movie at 12-13)
Ghost

I don't get it. Where the hell is the 'manly man' law that states that men must not have emotions to be tough?

Most men I know without emotions aren't 'tough', they're buttholes, and what's funny is that these same type of 'tough' guys are the kinds in gangs who rat each other out if their found out.

Real toughness isn't being an ass and having a lack of emotions. Real toughness means doing the type of things that people would laugh at you for.

I carry around a pink laptop everywhere. Yeah you heard me, Pink. You know what? I'm not gay, and I don't care what anyone says. My laptop gives me 3g internet anywhere, and I couldn't care less how I look in public.

With this said, pink isn't exactly a color that goes with my stuff, black would make a better laptop color, but color, or how men feel, ain't important to me. It's all about the usefulness. It was the last model in the store and I didn't mind it.

It's funny isn't it? Macho guys try to say emotions are bad, colors, etc, when they are simply worried about how other men view them. Doesn't that make you closer to being gay then not caring about how MEN feel about you?

All these macho guys are afraid to show emotion or have pink things because other MEN will view them wrong. They aren't worried at all about how women perceive them, their only fear is how their macho male friends will view them. Personally I wonder how many of them need to come out of the closet, because I don't care what men say about my pink laptop, and I hit on hot ladies any chance I get.

WoW

Dude chillax, this isn't life or death stuff here, no reason to be so serious about it.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#31 OFFLINE   bertjo44

bertjo44

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:42 AM

'When Harry Met Sally' is one of my absolute favorite movies ever.

#32 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,181 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:55 PM

My weak spot is for Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#33 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:58 AM

I like Hillary Duff movies.

lol

Seriously, I do.

#34 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:10 AM

I'll watch a "chick flick" movie with the wife from time to time, usually because the chick in said movie is hot. ;) Most of these are typically comedies though. "Serious" type chick flicks I don't care for.

Off the top of my head I can think of
1) Ten Things I Hate about You
2) Legally Blonde
3) First Wives Club
4) Romy And Michele's High School Reunion (HUGE fav)
5) Clueless
6) Josie and the Pussycats

and of course the all time #1 chick flick movie that everyone loves.....The Princess Bride

Most of the movies on that top 100 I've never seen and many I've never heard of.

On the opposite side of things my wife *loves* action and sci-fi movies along with the screwball comedies (Dodgeball is a particular fav or her's). The more explosions the better. Gotta love her. :D

#35 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:30 AM

I don't know why, but I get a kick out of Clueless. Maybe it's Stacey Dash.

Posted Image
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#36 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:50 AM

I don't know why, but I get a kick out of Clueless. Maybe it's Stacey Dash.

Yum! Yum!

Actually Clueless is one of my favorite teen movies.

#37 OFFLINE   olla86

olla86

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:24 AM

I am a modest girl and I like HORROR films. "Alien" is my favourite!
These animated gifs are the best!

#38 OFFLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Registered
  • 630 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:20 AM

No love for "While You Were Sleeping?" I'm a guy and it's one of my faves... Introduced my to Sandra Bullock.

#39 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:50 AM

My wife and I were talking about something related to this, this past weekend... it wasn't about movies but rather about television. I'm not sure, but perhaps there is a big difference between how "chick"-y "chick flicks" are as compared to how "chick"-y "chick television series" are -- because my wife and I watch everything together, and generally don't disagree significantly about our appraisals of television shows. So, for example, my wife puts Desperate Housewives (undoubtedly, a "chick television series") as 4 out of 5, while I'll put it 3 1/2 out of 5, and that's probably the series we disagree about the most. It works both ways, though, because she's a big fan of Syfy series, and science fiction movies in general.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...