Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CSN Philly Feed on Directv Tonight?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jrodfoo

jrodfoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:30 PM

I'm currently watching the Cubs-Phillies Game, and It looks like it's the CSN Philly Feed. :) Anyone else watching this? channel 728-1.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   NYRDiehardfan

NYRDiehardfan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:41 PM

Yes!

#3 OFFLINE   NYRDiehardfan

NYRDiehardfan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:42 PM

Any word on if we will see this more often..I know we have gotten it in the past alot..but for some reason this year its only been the wphl17 broadcasts

#4 OFFLINE   jrodfoo

jrodfoo

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:44 PM

Any word on if we will see this more often..I know we have gotten it in the past alot..but for some reason this year its only been the wphl17 broadcasts

I hope we do! They must have been able to get it transmitted like last year. Hopefully someone can comment. But I'm glad it's On even though I miss Harry Kalas...

#5 OFFLINE   HarryD

HarryD

Icon

• Registered
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:00 PM

I don't think Comcast will ever give DirecTV the rights to transmit... they're a cable company...remember....
HarryD

#6 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:07 PM

I have a teeny little picture on 720. First time I've ever had CSN-Philly on in my house HERE IN SUBURBAN PHILLY!

Gawd, CSN stinks.

#7 OFFLINE   NYRDiehardfan

NYRDiehardfan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:07 PM

I don't think Comcast will ever give DirecTV the rights to transmit... they're a cable company...remember....

No man, theve been transmitting their feed for mlb games since 2007 on Directv. What we are referring to is that for some reason, this season they havent used the CSN feed as much.

#8 OFFLINE   jtrain73

jtrain73

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:30 PM

Watching due to the free preview event. How can we find out if this will continue. If I can reliably get the Phillies' HD feed, I'd subscribe. I haven't to this point because of the Comcast issue.

#9 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:32 PM

We've had only a few CSN Philly games this year. We've also only had a few Padres Channel 4 Games. It's just luck of the draw i think. If They decide to let DirecTv have these feeds on certain nights or not. I'm greatful that we are getting the CSN Philly Feed tonight in HD.

#10 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:36 PM

It seems like those feeds have been activated as a "last resort" in the event an HD feed, or no feed, is available from the other team's provider. This seems to hold true for both the Pads and the Phils.

#11 OFFLINE   dhhaines

dhhaines

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:44 PM

I'm currently watching the Cubs-Phillies Game, and It looks like it's the CSN Philly Feed. :) Anyone else watching this? channel 728-1.

Nope... blacked out here as usual.:nono2
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read a report that said the typical symptoms of stress were eating too much, drinking too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast. Who are they kidding? That's my idea of a perfect day.

Directv 3/1998-9/2011
now with Verizon FIOS and loving the faster DVR and being able to use both the external & internal drives at the same time

#12 OFFLINE   Unknown

Unknown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:09 PM

as long as Arlen Specter is in Washington DC. you will never see CSN Philly on directv.

#13 OFFLINE   jrodfoo

jrodfoo

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:24 PM

as long as Arlen Specter is in Washington DC. you will never see CSN Philly on directv.

I know I know, I'm just wondering if they will have the feed for the rest of year for extra innings. They Obviously can transmit it, as we see tonight. Hopefully they can.

#14 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:51 PM

I know I know, I'm just wondering if they will have the feed for the rest of year for extra innings. They Obviously can transmit it, as we see tonight. Hopefully they can.

I think that is MLB giving them the feed and not comcast.

#15 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:58 PM

You know what doesn't make no sense is yes Comcast is a cable company but what doesnt make sense is they negotiate the carriage rights on their rsn's ( like CSN Bay) with DTV yet they wont negotiate and make CSN Philly avail??? On some of their rsns they will negotiate yet on Philly they wont. As far as SD4 that just doesnt make any sense at all!!! They had the SD4 games avail in both of the last two years yet this year like the other person said they now will only show the SD4 games when the other team doesn't have a telecast avail or when there is no hdtv avail. None of this makes sense

#16 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:07 AM

You know what doesn't make no sense is yes Comcast is a cable company but what doesnt make sense is they negotiate the carriage rights on their rsn's ( like CSN Bay) with DTV yet they wont negotiate and make CSN Philly avail??? On some of their rsns they will negotiate yet on Philly they wont. As far as SD4 that just doesnt make any sense at all!!! They had the SD4 games avail in both of the last two years yet this year like the other person said they now will only show the SD4 games when the other team doesn't have a telecast avail or when there is no hdtv avail. None of this makes sense

For ones like CSN Chicago comcast is only a part owner and the teams own the rest and they want it on direct tv, dish and others.

#17 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:51 AM

You know what doesn't make no sense is yes Comcast is a cable company but what doesnt make sense is they negotiate the carriage rights on their rsn's ( like CSN Bay) with DTV yet they wont negotiate and make CSN Philly avail???

The Arlen Specter reference above really gives the reason. Comcast curried enough favor to ensure that they did not have to negotiate carriage of CSN Philly.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#18 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:07 AM

..... will only show the SD4 games when the other team doesn't have a telecast avail or when there is no hdtv avail. None of this makes sense

They must be charging DirecTV an extraordinary amount for the games. DirecTV must be willing to pay the price only when no alternative exists. It does show that DirecTV is willing to go the extra mile to take care of its MLB EI customers. In the past, the games probably would not be available.

#19 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,267 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:59 AM

Sure they will. EI is only available games are only available outside the team's home markets so there is no conflict with the Phillies games being put on EI on DirecTV with the blessed homeland of CSN Philadelphia, which is where they don't want the games seen via satellite. I would bet that Comcast would be willing to put CSN Philly on the national sports package as long as it was blacked out in the Philly area. (Although that would probably eliminate the loophole they are exploiting.)
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#20 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:03 AM

The main reason why Comcast Sportsnet Philadelphia is not available as a RSN on DirecTv goes back to when DirecTv got the exclusive deal to carry NFL Sunday Ticket. At that time the only "Comcast" RSN was in Philadelphia and at that time it was named "Comcast Spectacor". Comcast said they were not going to allow there Philadelphia RSN to be on DirecTv to try and get back at DirecTv for not allowing Comcast to have the NFL Sunday Ticket Games on there cable systems. All of this goes back to that in the middle to late 1990's when Comcast Spectacor came onto the scene as Philadelphia's Regional Sports Network. So in short review basically We'll never get Comcast Sportsnet Philadelphia as an RSN Channel Full Time on DirecTv until DirecTv free's up NFL Sunday Ticket to be on Cable Outlets. Personally I just don't see it ever happening because NFL Sunday Ticket is where DirecTv has all these other TV Providers left out in the Cold by having All of the NFL Football Games. I know that is the reason why I have DirecTv because of NFL Sunday Ticket being on DirecTv.

Edited by Msguy, 22 July 2009 - 10:13 AM.

spam firewall