Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CSN Philly Feed on Directv Tonight?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Mike Al

Mike Al

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:06 AM

There are 2 things to remember here:
1. COMCAST has been permitted to keep CSN off DirecTV due to an old rule that stated if the feed is not Satellite delivered to Cable Co's it does not have to be offered to Satellite providers. CSN Philadelphia is delivered exclusively via Microwave. This rule was repealed a couple years ago. However, CSN Philadelphia was given an exemption due to the influence of Arlen Spector.
2. When the MLB Network was formed it was a joint venture between MLB and DirecTV. In order for Cable providers to keep MLB Extra Innings they had to also take MLB Network. Within the negotiatons, MLB stated that both CSN Philidelphia and SD4 feeds had to be allowed to be part of the EI package offered to DirecTV and DISH. That is why the Philadelphia and San Diego feeds are now on EI on DirecTV

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,666 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:12 AM

And D is showing CSN in HD for todays Phillies/Cubs game

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#23 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:13 AM

1. COMCAST has been permitted to keep CSN off DirecTV due to an old rule that stated if the feed is not Satellite delivered to Cable Co's it does not have to be offered to Satellite providers. CSN Philadelphia is delivered exclusively via Microwave. This rule was repealed a couple years ago. However, CSN Philadelphia was given an exemption due to the influence of Arlen Spector.
2. When the MLB Network was formed it was a joint venture between MLB and DirecTV. In order for Cable providers to keep MLB Extra Innings they had to also take MLB Network. Within the negotiatons, MLB stated that both CSN Philidelphia and SD4 feeds had to be allowed to be part of the EI package offered to DirecTV and DISH. That is why the Philadelphia and San Diego feeds are now on EI on DirecTV

True except that Cheap Charlie took a pass on EI and it's only on cable and D*.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#24 OFFLINE   Mike Al

Mike Al

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:29 AM

True except that Cheap Charlie took a pass on EI and it's only on cable and D*.

I figured some one would comment on that. However, if "Cheap Charlie" ever decided to offer EI those feeds would have to be there. Now, Yes Network is another story. ;)

#25 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:48 AM

Msguy, Mike Al and Unknown: Your posts explained the whole Philly Comcast/DirecTV saga nicely. Thanks!:biggthump:
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#26 OFFLINE   JoeS

JoeS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:15 PM

Seems to me that EI is putting their best foot forward for this 'Free Preview'.

I see SD4 (San Diego) appears to be listed for today (in HD) even though the Marlins feed is in HD. I think the Phillies feed is used today because WGN is obviously not in HD.

I understand why they are using some feeds 'when needed' but it seems to be cheapening the product. I was at a friends house with FIOS yesterday and a whopping 2 feeds total yesterday were in HD - I guess I gotta be happy with what I got having about 90% of the games available in HD

#27 OFFLINE   paco1986

paco1986

Icon

• Registered
  • 574 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:34 PM

I see SD4 (San Diego) appears to be listed for today (in HD) even though the Marlins feed is in HD.

I understand why they are using some feeds 'when needed' but it seems to be cheapening the product.

SD4 is not broadcasting the game today. They usually don't for weekday home games. So it is the Marlins feed only for today's game.

I guess this year some feeds are used 'when needed' because of costs. Last year D* charged extra for HD feeds (that is, Superfan). This year they got rid of the Superfan, and one doesn't pay extra for games in HD. So less revenue = cutting costs.

#28 OFFLINE   bosco10021

bosco10021

Icon

• Registered
  • 514 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:21 PM

Seeing is believing.

I am still waiting to see the Flyers on CSN Philly on a regular basis on NHL Center Ice.
Until this happens and I am a non believer.

#29 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:04 AM

la24philly - you don't need to post the same article in several different threads.

Comcast already said they'll fight it in court, meaning it'd be years before it showed up - best case.

#30 OFFLINE   jeepwrang3

jeepwrang3

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:41 AM

Lou is clearly excited, he writes in CAPS :lol:

I would prefer to see dates here soon, so i can go ahead and get the sports package, and change my address to where it should be :nono:
Long time Lurker, first time poster :nono2:

#31 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:11 AM

Why did they not add Wciu games (they should of fored them to be in HD for Chicago locals as well) , wgn 9 (Chicago only games) , wgn america (free with EI even if your base pack does not have it) as well?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#32 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:20 AM

sorry for typing in caps and getting all ho ho ho about it. But i never thought I see the FCC actually eliminate this loop hole.

Comcast will fight in court and delay as much as possible.

With the FCC closing this loophole, comcast wont have much leverage. If the FCC forces congress to force comcast in offering the signal then that is where I would put my chips.

Now comcast might probably say this in court OK WILL OFFER THIS CHANNEL TO SATELLITE COMPANIES, but it will be a charge like a premium channel.

so will see

sorry for all the posts in many threads abut it is a big step, comcast can do all they want in court but what is final is this loophole is closed and thats final meaning directv and dish have a great chance at aquiring it.

#33 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:25 PM

It'll be years before CSN-Philly shows up on D*

#34 OFFLINE   patman99

patman99

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:26 PM

The head of Comcast stated before congress last week that they would not fight the ruling. They are being very careful to mind their manners in light of their purchase of NBC. Even with that, I wouldn't expect CSN-Philly to be available until after baseball season.

#35 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:33 PM

Now comcast might probably say this in court OK WILL OFFER THIS CHANNEL TO SATELLITE COMPANIES, but it will be a charge like a premium channel.

They will have problems with that as they have precedent in pricing CSN Philly for Fios and many other CSNs already on both DirecTV and Dish. The pricing will have to be set within those parameters.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#36 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:53 PM

CSN Philly will have to be priced for D* similar per customer as what Verizon pays, I believe. Comcrap can't try to gouge competitors according to the ruling.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#37 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 02:05 PM

The head of Comcast stated before congress last week that they would not fight the ruling. They are being very careful to mind their manners in light of their purchase of NBC. Even with that, I wouldn't expect CSN-Philly to be available until after baseball season.

Different ruling. The one that was announced the other day was the previous rule that forced progamming access but only for satellite delivered channels. They will fight tooth and nail to keep the terrestrial loophole in affect.

I expect to see legal challenges from Comcast and Cablevision.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...