Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

S.E.C. Football Games this year 2009

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:24 PM

Does anyone know if DirecTv is going to pick up ALL of the SEC Football games this coming up year? The Southeastern Conference has just signed a new deal with ESPN over the air affiliates who used to cover the RAYCOM SEC Games. This is the first contract i have ever heard of. But it is a fact that every SEC Game is supposed to be on TV This year. Does Anyone know if DirecTv will carry these games, especially for folks who live in the Southeast? I have been wondering this because it will not be long till College Football season will be here.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:33 AM

I thought that Raycom was still involved? I know that ESPN has been doing deals to allow various RSNs to cover some of the lower tier games. I also figure that ESPNU will cover a fair amount of SEC games this year and of course, DirecTV has not seen fit to put ESPNU HD up yet.

It would be nice to see a good overview of where everything will be this coming season.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#3 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:18 AM

Well Lee. All I know is that every S.E.C. Football game is supposed to be televised this upcoming season. It is part of the new deal the S.E.C. and ESPN signed starting for this season. I am just wondering if DirecTv is going to have these channels available, especially for people who live in Southeastern Conference Football Territory.

#4 OFFLINE   ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan

Icon

• Registered
  • 583 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:46 PM

http://www.secsports...hange_well_id=2

as you can see the SEC regional package has extended to Chicago, NYC, Detroit etc in addition to ther CBS ESPN, ESPNU and ESPN2 games

also FSN will have some exclusive football games
I just hope no games are put on CSS or if they are they'll be made available to us with Directv

and the schedule for the first 3 wks and some other games
http://secsports.com...hange_well_id=2
as you can see some games WILL be on CSS, D* needs to hurry up and get CSS!!!!!!

Edited by ARKDTVfan, 22 July 2009 - 04:02 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:27 PM

I hope we see CSS too. They will also have 20 basketball games.

#6 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:59 PM

CSS is owned by Comcast. I doubt we'll see this channel anytime soon on D*

#7 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:36 AM

as you can see the SEC regional package has extended to Chicago, NYC, Detroit etc in addition to ther CBS ESPN, ESPNU and ESPN2 games

also FSN will have some exclusive football games
I just hope no games are put on CSS or if they are they'll be made available to us with Directv

and the schedule for the first 3 wks and some other games
as you can see some games WILL be on CSS, D* needs to hurry up and get CSS!!!!!!

Good find on the schedule.

I guess I misunderstood what exactly was happening and Raycom is totally out of it like MSguy thought. We do have an SEC affiliate here, the local NBC station, which makes sense because they never had any ACC football, just the ND package. The local CBS affiliate here is the Raycom ACC. Now they can compete against the other 2 on Saturday somewhat.

The main question I have is how will all these games be handled WRT ESPN Game Plan? I hope they start giving us a schedule soon.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#8 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:41 AM

No Iowa outlet - of course. Stuck with Big Zen.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#9 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:08 PM

Comcast can't keep DirecTV or Dish from carrying it.

I wonder if the SEC content is worth it to DirecTV? I would like to have CSS.

#10 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:11 PM

Everything you could possibly want to know about the ESPN/SEC agreements can be found right here...

Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#11 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:57 AM

Everything you could possibly want to know about the ESPN/SEC agreements can be found right here...

Are you sure you posted the right link? That page, which is from the initial announcement 11 months ago, talks in general terms and leaves out pretty much every single detail about what games will be on when and where.

#12 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:43 PM

My thoughts exactly. That Link posted is an old link almost a year old. According to a local newspaper in my area. The SEC is supposed to have EVERY Football game on Television this year. That link says nothing about that. I'm wondering if they will be in High Def. I hope the SEC didn't iron out some deal only to continue to broadcast games in Standard Definition. They need to be in High Def available to everyone.

#13 OFFLINE   soloredd

soloredd

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:58 PM

As someone with ties to UF and a die-hard SEC football fan, so far this deal has screwed me being in California. Previously, the Raycom games would be available not just on ESPN360 but also GamePlan. So I subbed to GamePlan every year. Now, I have no idea what is going to happen. I know for sure that the season opener (Charleston Southern) will be on ESPN360 as it is a SunSports game (not SEC Network). But the next game against Troy is an SEC Network game, which if I'm following correctly, is only a regional telecast.

Over the past two weeks I've been looking for a definitive answer but haven't found one yet.

edit: just read the link posted - which I've read before curiously - and saw that GamePlan will include SEC games. But, GamePlan is not in HD! Doh!

#14 OFFLINE   soloredd

soloredd

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:00 PM

My thoughts exactly. That Link posted is an old link almost a year old. According to a local newspaper in my area. The SEC is supposed to have EVERY Football game on Television this year. That link says nothing about that. I'm wondering if they will be in High Def. I hope the SEC didn't iron out some deal only to continue to broadcast games in Standard Definition. They need to be in High Def available to everyone.

Not sure about entire SEC but I know for a fact all Gator games are HD (unless ESPN somehow does their ESPN2 non-HD dance at some point). I thought I read somewhere the SECNetwork required HD broadcasts but not sure.

#15 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:34 PM

What I do not understand is why the SEC did not just create an SEC Channel the way that the Big 10 did and put the channel as a basic channel on every provider in the country the way the Big 10 did. The SEC failed to do this and they are stupid for not creating a dedicated channel to the SEC. Those idiots did not do the right thing for their fans. I hope this curses the SEC and I hope none of their schools win any Championships for a LONG time Now because of there conference's stupidity with this dumb television deal they signed for the next 15 seasons. How Dumb can one conference be? The thing about it is I live in SEC Territory but on the channel listed that is supposed to carry SEC Games, that channel is not in High Definition and the games are always blurry on my tv trying to watch the "Game Of The Week" every Saturday afternoon. They should have started a channel in High Def the way the Big 10 did.

#16 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:14 AM

OK, very slowly:

First, remember that rights to games are determined by the home team.

There are actually a few, too complex to post, exceptions to the "first choice, second choice" line up, mostly relating to teams only appearing on particular channels a certain number of times.

All times Eastern.

CBS has first choice and will carry a game every Saturday @ 3:30.

ESPN has multiple second choices and will carry games on weeknights and on Saturdays, generally no earlier than 6:00. These will be on ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU.

ESPN Regional Television has the rights to all remaining games. ESPNRT is not a channel, it is a company owned by ESPN that distributes games it produces to various outlets. Before ESPN bought the company it was known as "Creative Sports". When you see a game listed as being on "ESPNRT" the one place you are certain not to see it is any channel labeled ESPN.

These remaining games will be distributed thusly:

Third choice belongs to the syndication packge. These games will be logoed as "SEC Network" and the game will kick off at 12:20 every Saturday, with a 20 minute pre-game show for a show time of Noon. These games will be on the list of local stations referenced above. This is the old RAYCOM package. Same deal and most of the same channels. If there is no SEC Network station in your area, these games are a part of ESPN Game Plan. These game are also on ESPN360 computer feed.

Last choice games have been sold by ESPNRT to CSS and the regional group of FSN member stations in the affected areas.

FSN is self-explanatory. The games will be on the FSN member RSNs in the SEC states, and on ESPN GP and ESPN360 elsewhere.

CSS always takes some explination. The name can stand for either Comcast or Charter Sports Southeast, as the channel is a joint venture between those two cable companies. It uses the same logos as the Comcast Sports Net members, but is totally unrelated to CSN. This channel only reaches 5.6M viewers in 12 states. Not because of the kind of landline "loophole" that Comcast practices with the Philadelphia version of CSN, but simply because DirecTV and DISH and almost every other cable company in the southeast other than the channel's two owners simply do not see the value in the channel. Other than this small package of SEC games, the channel's only other Div I football offerings are four to six CUSA games, but it does have a large number of lower division games. It has no major pro sports at all. If you disagree with your provider's decision to not carry this channel, give them a call. But, of course, unless you live in an area served by Comcast or Charter, or one of the very short list of other cable companies that carry this channel, there is really nothing you can do about it in terms of switching providers to get it.

Anyway, CSS gets a package of games. These will be on ESPN GP outside the POSSIBLE CSS footprint, which means NOT in the SEC states, nor NC, VA, or WV. It does not matter that neither DirecTV nor your local cable have the channel, the entire area that COULD carry CSS will be blacked out.

Lastly, every SEC team can carry one game per year on a PPV basis. These games will be PPV (on DirecTV and on cable) in the team's home state and in ESPN GP elsewhere. Not all teams will exercise that right. As of now Bama, Arkansas, and USC have plans to do so. UT also will but has not picked the game yet.

#17 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:44 AM

What I do not understand is why the SEC did not just create an SEC Channel the way that the Big 10 did and put the channel as a basic channel on every provider in the country the way the Big 10 did. The SEC failed to do this and they are stupid for not creating a dedicated channel to the SEC. Those idiots did not do the right thing for their fans. I hope this curses the SEC and I hope none of their schools win any Championships for a LONG time Now because of there conference's stupidity with this dumb television deal they signed for the next 15 seasons. How Dumb can one conference be? The thing about it is I live in SEC Territory but on the channel listed that is supposed to carry SEC Games, that channel is not in High Definition and the games are always blurry on my tv trying to watch the "Game Of The Week" every Saturday afternoon. They should have started a channel in High Def the way the Big 10 did.

There had been rumors going for a while before the ESPN deal was announced that the SEC was trying to do a channel like Big Ten. Either they could not get enough traction from cable and sat providers to carry it or they just figured the ESPN deal was more money and less work.

Oh, SamC, that is about the best, most concise description I have seen anywhere.

#18 OFFLINE   chudgins

chudgins

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:16 PM

The games being broadcasts on CSS, will there be any blackout restrictions on ESPN360.com? I sub to D* and therefore don't get CSS, live in Tennessee and will be happy to watch Vandy and Ole Miss on the web if I can.

Thanks,

#19 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:17 PM

Msguy,

You call getting $3 billion stupid? Are you serious?

#20 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:21 PM

I didn't read this whole thread, but I hope to god that RAYCOMM is OUT. I was REALLY pissed last year, that the Gators had ~3 games broadcast on that channel, and that channel is not broadcast in HD through D*.

After watching football in HD, you just can't go back to SD.

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!
My current setup can be found here!

spam firewall