Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Torchwood: Children of Earth (Miniseries Spoilers)

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wrightejw

wrightejw

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:26 AM

All i can say about TorchWood 5 part mini so far is WOW! to damn bad it's not in HD.

Edited by wrightejw, 22 July 2009 - 01:33 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,189 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:53 AM

I second the "wow". Granted my copy is HD but still... I reserve comment on the final episode until more have seen it.

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,849 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:51 AM

I'm waiting for the weekend marathon.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:45 AM

Watched the last half of Day One and Day Two yesterday. Awesome.

Day 2 Spoiler
Spoiler

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   uslimey

uslimey

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:03 PM

Torchwood was supposed to debut in HD on BBCA Monday - what happened?

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:29 PM

Torchwood was supposed to debut in HD on BBCA Monday - what happened?

Many other threads about BBCA-HD... Basically, while BBCA is now available in HD, there are no service providers carrying it yet.

- Merg

#7 OFFLINE   Surveyor40

Surveyor40

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 437 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:23 PM

I'll hold comment until the BluRay comes out next week. Its hard to view Torchwood in SD, no matter the provider.
My Setup
14 year D* customer, LONG LIVE D*'s HDPC

#8 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 507 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:31 PM

The crawling message on the bottom of the screen in Day 2 was annoying, irritating and very distracting. Whoever decided to do that during the premire event should be shot! By now, almost everyone knows that BBCA HD is available. I don;t need a crawling message telling me to contact my cable provider as a reminder. It was on several times in that hour. Is more than once really necessary?
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,535 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:12 PM

Merg,

Spoiler

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#10 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:21 PM

Stewart,

Spoiler

I almost didn't look at your post thinking I might ruin something from Day 3 until I saw it was posted before Day 3 had aired.

- Merg

#11 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:32 PM

I too wish Dish and BBCA had their ducks in a row already. But, Torchwood in SD is better than no Torchwood. And since I don't have a BD player...
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#12 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,675 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:39 PM

Yeah - we should preface spoilers with the Day (Day 1, Day 2, etc.) so as not to confuse anyone. I will say that I am PISSED that I read an actor's bio on Wikipedia and found out a significant event from Day 5 ... did I say PISSED???? No spoiler tag on Wikipedia! :mad:

Avoid any news, web sites, IMDB, Wikipedia and anything else related to this show until you've seen all 5 days ... that's all I can say. :(

#13 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:58 PM

Yeah - we should preface spoilers with the Day (Day 1, Day 2, etc.) so as not to confuse anyone. I will say that I am PISSED that I read an actor's bio on Wikipedia and found out a significant event from Day 5 ... did I say PISSED???? No spoiler tag on Wikipedia! :mad:

Avoid any news, web sites, IMDB, Wikipedia and anything else related to this show until you've seen all 5 days ... that's all I can say. :(

At my age my CRS would let me wait a week or so and it would be all new to me :P
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#14 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,535 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:52 PM

Oops... sorry about that. I should have clarified before my spoiler that I was responding to Merg's spoiler at least so people wouldn't think I was spoilering anything yet to come.

I'm watching these for the first time as they air new... so if I forget to mention, at least everyone can be sure I'm not spoilering the next episode yet to air.

It has been pretty good so far. I guess they couldn't do this grand of a story with a normal once-a-week schedule because it would drive people nuts waiting a week to see what happens next...

But maybe this bodes well for the next season, as maybe they can carry the sensibilities they are establishing here... of course I am assuming there will be a normal series 4 in 2010. I haven't heard one way or the other.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#15 OFFLINE   TedBarrett

TedBarrett

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:54 PM

Last year? whenever the last season aired, I watched Torched in HD on HDN? UHD? HDTH? about a month later. Anyone remember which network that was and kmow if that will happen for the mini-series? I'm recording the SD BBCA version just in case.

#16 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:39 AM

I believe I watched it in HD on HDNET..306

#17 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:25 AM

Torchwood did air last season on HDNET in HD BUT I have seen no indication that they will air the current mini series.

Frankly, it would be a mistake on BBCA's part. They just made a very poor and ill advised attempt to use the mini series to pick up quick carriage agreements and failed. No one is carrying the HD signal yet.

After I fired the exec responsible for this idiocy, I would task his/her replacement with securing the carriage agreements and then do a "re-boot" with hat in hand and do everything in my power to make disenchanted fans happy.

I believe I watched it in HD on HDNET..306

Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#18 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 507 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:19 AM

Torchwood did air last season on HDNET in HD BUT I have seen no indication that they will air the current mini series.

Frankly, it would be a mistake on BBCA's part. They just made a very poor and ill advised attempt to use the mini series to pick up quick carriage agreements and failed. No one is carrying the HD signal yet.

After I fired the exec responsible for this idiocy, I would task his/her replacement with securing the carriage agreements and then do a "re-boot" with hat in hand and do everything in my power to make disenchanted fans happy.

I agree with you completely. Since BBCA has an HD feed now, there is absolutely no incentive on their part to show anything further on HDNET. It would be a very bad decision to supply what is now "the competition" with prime material.

The promotion of BBCA HD, and the tie in with the Torchwood miniseries has been intense. If it hasn't produced results, I can only assume one of two things. 1) Most carriers are seriously bandwidth limited and adding another channel would be difficult. Or 2) the revenue stream from BBCA HD would not justify the expense and effort of adding it. Maybe both. They really need to do business in a business-like manner, as you suggest.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#19 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,653 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:29 PM

Really liking this Mini-Series......

Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Confucius

#20 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,653 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:30 PM

Looking forward to the New season of Doctor Who...:)

Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Confucius

spam firewall