Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Torchwood: Children of Earth (Miniseries Spoilers)

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354

Icon

• Registered
  • 617 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:47 PM

I agree with you completely. Since BBCA has an HD feed now, there is absolutely no incentive on their part to show anything further on HDNET. It would be a very bad decision to supply what is now "the competition" with prime material.

The promotion of BBCA HD, and the tie in with the Torchwood miniseries has been intense. If it hasn't produced results, I can only assume one of two things. 1) Most carriers are seriously bandwidth limited and adding another channel would be difficult. Or 2) the revenue stream from BBCA HD would not justify the expense and effort of adding it. Maybe both. They really need to do business in a business-like manner, as you suggest.

Actually if the priceis right it is in their interest to sell programming to the network that will pay the most for it and gereate more in advertising than what would be possible on BBCA. These BBC shows are funded by a "license fee" by all UK households with a TV. Their first priority for outside the UK is to sell to the highest bidder.

What you see on BBCA is not only content from the BBC but also from commercial broadcaster ITV (Primeval) and Channel 4.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   erpbridge

erpbridge

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:08 AM

To be honest... BBCA HD launched on Monday in conjunction with the Torchwood special and the Doctor Who episode this weekend. According to Wikipedia (reliability questionable, always), no provider has BBCA HD up and running yet. I would have hoped that at least the two major sat providers had done so, but guess it's still in the works.

#23 OFFLINE   V'ger

V'ger

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:24 PM

Yeah - we should preface spoilers with the Day (Day 1, Day 2, etc.) so as not to confuse anyone. I will say that I am PISSED that I read an actor's bio on Wikipedia and found out a significant event from Day 5 ... did I say PISSED???? No spoiler tag on Wikipedia! :mad:

Avoid any news, web sites, IMDB, Wikipedia and anything else related to this show until you've seen all 5 days ... that's all I can say. :(

Wikipedia had the entire 5 day plot up.

#24 OFFLINE   V'ger

V'ger

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:30 PM

Merg,
Day 1 Spoiler

I couldn't help but wonder... they gathered an arm, a shoulder, and part of his head... and he regenerated from that. What would have happened if they hadn't gathered those parts together? Would Jack just have grown from the head and the other remaining parts died? or what.

It would have been an interesting plot if he had regenerated into three separate Capt'n Jacks. Of course the missing parts of him would have regenerated into many Capt'n Jacks if that was possible.

The one plot hole in the regeneration idea is that his mass wasn't constant. There needed to be a source of raw materials to make up for the loss of body mass. Although there is a lot of carbon in the air, I don't think his body could possibly regenerate in the time frame shown if he pulled carbon from the air. Especially while in the body bag.

Edited by V'ger, 01 August 2009 - 04:26 PM.
Spoiler time is over.

#25 OFFLINE   V'ger

V'ger

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:47 PM

Day 5 Spoiler

I felt the ending was too contrived and too fast. They needed a solution to wrap things up and took an easy out. I didn't feel a sense of satisfaction. Although the 456 left, there was no indication that they won't return.

I wanted the classic hero returns to Thames house and surprises the 456 that he survived their virus and reveals to them that he is immortal. Bring his feedback device to them and play it there. As it is, the 456 doesn't have a clue who did it to them.

The decision to use Steven was not played strongly enough because they ran out of time. What did Jack tell Steven? Was he honest? Did Steven volunteer to die? His mother's anguish was only briefly shown. In a way, she was indirectly responible for her son's death by telling the female militray agent to get Captain Jack. There needed to be a final statement from Jack's daughter about how she feels that he used her only child - whether she never wants to see him again or not.

The real hole in the total plot is why abduct children using the government? Their transportation technology would allow them to abduct children all over the world at will. Just focus on schools and beam and grab!

Also, why don't the 456 just take a few kids off to space and grow/clone their own? It might take a little time, but they could make as many as they want. They took 44 years to come back as it was. If they are technologally advanced as they seemed, cloning shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by V'ger, 01 August 2009 - 04:25 PM.
Spoiler time is over

#26 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,958 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 07:10 AM

Wikipedia had the entire 5 day plot up.

I wasn't looking at the Wikipedia entry for Torchwood, I was reading the entry for an actor on the series.

---

At this point, I'm only up to day 3. We had severe weather here on Thursday, so I couldn't record the showings and decided to wait for the Blu-ray disc this Tuesday. I'll watch it the way nature intended ... :D

#27 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:00 AM

Day 5 spoiler - kinda

Spoiler

Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#28 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,785 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:20 PM

Without spoilering... It seems all involved (actors, producer, writers, etc.) are up for a 4th season if the BBC wants one next year... but it's really hard to see how they'd get there.

The door isn't 100% closed I suppose... but the way this series ended, makes it VERY difficult, in my opinion, to bring things back. Given the twists and turns I'm not sure how "Torchwood" could come back.

I think it much more likely we could get a completely different show, that has many of the same characters... just not the Torchwood Institute.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#29 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:42 PM

I think it much more likely we could get a completely different show, that has many of the same characters... just not the Torchwood Institute.

How's this for a thought. 100 or so years in the future And see how the future Torchwood deals with 456? Or back in history to the founding of Torchwood, prior to Jack's involvement? They did give a hint in a couple of early episodes. Except I want to see Gwen again. And the gal with the attitude and big gun. :P

#30 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 25 July 2009 - 04:35 PM

Eve Myles (Gwen) is pregnant in real life. There's a long interview with her on the Under the Radar web site
Torchwood’s Eve Myles Dressed as Wonder Woman on a Beach with Johnny Cash

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#31 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,785 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:37 PM

IF they wanted old-style Torchwood... they could go back to the beginning.

They could also go back to the time when Jack was waiting around for the present if they want to keep John Barrowman on the show.

But, yeah... I'd miss modern times and Gwen.

They did sow seeds for potential new members... but it'd just be hard to imagine Jack being all back-to-normal given how they ended this series.

It's one of those great for the show, horrible for the show situations. The story had parts that worked well, but were kind of bridge-burning moments that you can't undo.

#32 OFFLINE   frederic1943

frederic1943

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 07:54 PM

Remember Jack has that time and space wristband. He could be gone for a few hundred thousand years and still come back the day after he left Gwen and Rhys.
37" Olevia LT37HVS HDTV with HR21-100 connected with HDMI and HR20-700 connected with Component
And
37" Hannspree Nara HDTV with HR21-100 connected with Component

#33 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 07:58 PM

According to Richard T. Davies, the Torchwood creator:

DAVIES: We don’t yet know about our fourth series, but I’m fairly confident [it will continue] in some shape or form. I will just sit down and invent new stories and characters. That’s what I’ve spent my entire life doing. It’s not difficult at all. I could write the first 10 scenes in an episode right now.

That's from an interview you can read on EW.com. However, if you've not watched all 5 episodes, don't read it. Spoiler alert.

#34 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:17 PM

Would be interesting to see how they will handle the 4th season...

“The cave you fear to enter, holds the treasure you seek.” 
― 
Joseph Campbell

#35 OFFLINE   V'ger

V'ger

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:53 PM

Day 5 Spoiler

At the end when Forbisher's secretary is wearing the Torchwood contacts, the other woman pulled rank on the PM, and she was as guilty as anyone else in that room since she was the one who proposed using the lowest ranking schools to determine which children should go to the 456. This seems to be a major continuity error to me.

She certainly has a holier than thou attitude. I don't think she will be so uppity once the Torchwood videos get released.

Edited by V'ger, 01 August 2009 - 04:27 PM.
Spoiler time is over

#36 OFFLINE   V'ger

V'ger

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:01 AM

Day 5 spoiler - kinda

I don't think I like Jack so much anymore. Is there another season of TW? If so, I want Gwen to be the boss and bring young Miss Habib along. And maybe the old gal that worked for Frobisher. And also the gal with the attitude and big gun.

I really wanted to see the militray babe with the big attitude get hers at some point in the show. But it didn't happen. I kinda think she was a lot like Jack was in 1965.. He didn't care. She didn't care about rules or people or anyone who got in the way.

In a fourth season, I could see her being a foil, having found Torchwood alien technology in the rubble at the Hub.

Edited by V'ger, 01 August 2009 - 04:29 PM.
Spoiler time is over

#37 OFFLINE   V'ger

V'ger

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:12 AM

IF they wanted old-style Torchwood... they could go back to the beginning.

They could also go back to the time when Jack was waiting around for the present if they want to keep John Barrowman on the show.

But, yeah... I'd miss modern times and Gwen.

They did sow seeds for potential new members... but it'd just be hard to imagine Jack being all back-to-normal given how they ended this series.

It's one of those great for the show, horrible for the show situations. The story had parts that worked well, but were kind of bridge-burning moments that you can't undo.

I wonder how Jack evolves into the "Face of Boe" as in the two Doctor Who episodes with the cat people. In the second episode, Boe dies. The face of Boe told the Doctor that there was another (timelord)... which turned out to be the Master. So somehow in the distant future Jack regenerates into a huge prunefaced head.

More info at http://en.wikipedia....iki/Face_of_Boe

Edited by V'ger, 26 July 2009 - 12:29 AM.

#38 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,785 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:07 PM

Remember Jack has that time and space wristband. He could be gone for a few hundred thousand years and still come back the day after he left Gwen and Rhys.

Outside of Torchwood, the Doctor keeps breaking the time-portion of that wristband... so not sure it is anything more than just a teleporter at the moment.

That said... there would be no logical reason for Jack to want to return to that time. He wants time away to forget the things he has done... so if he does that, he wouldn't want to jump back into the fire. Makes more sense for him to stay away and come back in the future UNLESS something happens to bring him back sooner.

#39 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:53 PM

There's plenty of folks living who could make a good next season as primary and secondary characters, even if Jack didn't "drop in" which he could under the right circumstances.

Posted ImagePosted Image
We have Gwen Cooper and hubby Rhys Williams, plus a kid whose reality could easily be something more than the sum of the genetic Gwen/Rhys (hey, it's "Torchwood" isn't it).

Posted ImagePosted Image
Then we have the obvious new characters - Lois Habiba and Johnson.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Plus we have the two relatives who are going to be angry for entirely different reasons - Alice Carter and Rhiannon Davies.

Posted ImagePosted Image
And then speaking of the angry, we have PC Andy Davidson and Bridget Spears.

Posted Image
And wasn't Mr. Dekker alive and well when we last saw him - the science geek.

I think we all could think of story lines that could be built around these people that might even involve a reason for Jack to drop in.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#40 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:29 PM

You know what? What you just said, makes sense. Could work...... :)

“The cave you fear to enter, holds the treasure you seek.” 
― 
Joseph Campbell

Protected By... spam firewall...And...