Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can I directly Ethernet connect my computer to HR-22?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DallasM5

DallasM5

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:37 PM

I'm just looking to display items from my computer (photos, etc.) on my TV screen. Can I just connect directly with an Ethernet cable without worrying about networking?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:40 PM

While it would work theoretically with a crossover cable, you would need to manually assign DNS and gateway addresses, and even then there might be issues.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,999 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:46 PM

You don't even need a crossover cable. Most modern NICs (including those in the DVRs) will automatically adjust.

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,973 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:54 PM

I don't think you would like having both devices disconnected from the Internet.

Its just too much easier to hook everything up to a basic router.

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:55 PM

You don't even need a crossover cable. Most modern NICs (including those in the DVRs) will automatically adjust.

You're probably right but I can't confirm that the one in the DVR will do that.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:44 PM

It can be done, BUT without a router to assign IP information, it would have to be assigned manually on both the computer and the DVR. Much easier to let a router handle all that via DHCP.

#7 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,999 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:42 PM

I recall seeing in another thread here that someone had done that without a crossover cable, but can't find that thread now :)

A router is quicker, but if someone doesn't have one a manual setup would work fine:

DVR #1
IP Address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS: 192.168.0.1

DVR #2
IP Address: 192.168.0.2
Others as above

The gateway and DNS won't work anyway, but I don't know if leaving them blank will cause any issues.

#8 OFFLINE   erpbridge

erpbridge

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:05 AM

Shouldn't need gateway and DNS... he didn't state needing to get onto the Internet, so there's no need for gateway as long as we're talking about staying inside the same subnet (and if you are knowledgable to get multiple VLANS setup in your switch to have different subnets, you wouldn't be here asking the question....)

Don't need DNS unless you have a DNS server... and with picture/music sharing, you're doing a network discovery and seeing a name returned by the media sharing software, not necessarily the actual computer name.

But to be honest, you'll only need an IP and subnet mask as a bare minimum on your computer, so you might as well have a corresponding set on your DVR as well. Follow bobnielsen's numbering setup, and you'll be good. I also forget if the receiver lets you get by with just those two pieces of info, or if you have to go whole hog.

#9 OFFLINE   DallasM5

DallasM5

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:06 AM

Many thanks for all the technical responses!

I should have stated that I was really talking about "plug and play" - idiot proof, stupid simple. Just a way to display photos for viewing by others from my laptop.

FWIW, I have wireless in my house and can access it with my laptop, but internet access wasn't what I was shooting for now. Because of the location of the set, hard wiring to my current router is not practical and I didn't want to mess with setting up wireless to my HR-22 for a variety of reasons since initially I only wanted to display photos on that set.

Thanks for all the advice!

#10 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:53 AM

It can be done, BUT without a router to assign IP information, it would have to be assigned manually on both the computer and the DVR. Much easier to let a router handle all that via DHCP.

Even with my router all my stuff is set up with Static IPs, so it is no biggy.....

Edited by dodge boy, 24 July 2009 - 08:30 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:18 AM

Yes, the switch ports on the DVR's have been confirmed to be auto MDI/MDI-X. This translates to no crossover cable is needed. Even if one is used, it will still automatically swap the TX/RX appropriately. ;)

To the OP,
Unfortunately, plug-n-play in this case will not work. The PC will most likely not default to the same network subnet and will not talk to the DVR with the IP scheme. If static IP address are used, as suggested above, then it will work as expected for displaying pictures, etc as long as you have the media server working on the PC. See network help link in my signature for the full story.

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#12 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:57 AM

Even with my router all my stuff is set up with Statin IPs, so it is no biggy.....

DHCP with mac address reservations is the way I roll...

#13 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,296 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:12 PM

As long as there is a router in the system (such as at the DSL or Cable modem), all you would need is a hub or switch. A basic 100Base-T switch costs maybe $15. Many routers include switches.

So, as long as the wiring is a "star" coming out from the router, and maybe a further "star" from the switch, it will all work. The gateway router will assign all the addresses if each device is set to DHCP (default).

If your DSL or Cable modem does not have a router (only one output), get one and add it. Otherwise your security is nearly zero.
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#14 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:15 PM

Don't use a hub. A switch is the better option.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...