Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

hr23 700, number of issues and no help from tech support

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   awoehler

awoehler

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:06 PM

I'm have several issues with my HR23-700 receiver, and DTV tech support has been no help. I have the HR23 dvr with the AM21 off air tuner. I am networked with a router with an Ethernet cable. I've downloaded VOD programs as recently as a couple of days ago.

Here is what is going on; DVR playback has been freezing intermittently for 60 to 90 seconds at a time, Slow response time to commands from remote, now no internet connection, any shows recorded on the DVR now ask me if I want to delete them as if they have played all they way to the end.

I have done several red button RBRs and a few unplugs. Tech support thought that a bug with my internet may be causing other problems with my receiver, but I had issues before the internet/network stopped working.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
-Adam
Adam-
--------------------------------
TV: Philips 32PF5320/28B
Home Theater: Samsung HT-P50
HDMI Switch: Monoprice HDX-201
Satellite Box: DirecTV HR23
URemote: Logitech Harmony 880
Networked (Cat5) w/ TVersity
80' boom antenna in attic

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:10 PM

I'm have several issues with my HR23-700 receiver, and DTV tech support has been no help. I have the HR23 dvr with the AM21 off air tuner. I am networked with a router with an Ethernet cable. I've downloaded VOD programs as recently as a couple of days ago.

Here is what is going on; DVR playback has been freezing intermittently for 60 to 90 seconds at a time, Slow response time to commands from remote, now no internet connection, any shows recorded on the DVR now ask me if I want to delete them as if they have played all they way to the end.

I have done several red button RBRs and a few unplugs. Tech support thought that a bug with my internet may be causing other problems with my receiver, but I had issues before the internet/network stopped working.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
-Adam

First as far as the slowness goes. Sometimes the network info slows down the Hrxx. So pull the cable and rbr. Maybe that will help with the speed. Once you are ready to get back online. reset all pf your network settings. Take it back to factory blanks it would be at

Menu > Ssytem settings > Network > restore defaults. Then plug the cable in and rerun the network set up. Maybe that will do the trick. Your Hrxx should pull an ip of 192.168.x.x. That depends on what router you are using
Sometimes it just is what it is :nono2:

#3 OFFLINE   awoehler

awoehler

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:31 PM

I tried that and it did not work. I now have the network default settings which I cannot override. I can type in my network settings and hit "connect now" and it will fail and show the network defaults.
Adam-

#4 OFFLINE   MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:46 PM

I tried that and it did not work. I now have the network default settings which I cannot override. I can type in my network settings and hit "connect now" and it will fail and show the network defaults.

It won't reconnect. What router are you using
Sometimes it just is what it is :nono2:

#5 OFFLINE   awoehler

awoehler

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:52 PM

I'm hardwired with a Linksys WRT54G. The ethernet line going into the receiver is good because I just plugged it into a laptop and connected to the internet with it. I think there is much more going on with this receiver. I can no longer pause or rewind live TV. The internet/network problems are one thing, but the other issues I'm having appear to be related to data that would be written on the hard drive. I wonder if I have a bad drive.
Adam-

#6 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:53 PM

unplug network AND am21 unit and see.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#7 OFFLINE   awoehler

awoehler

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:57 PM

I'm hardwired with a Linksys WRT54G. The ethernet line going into the receiver is good because I just plugged it into a laptop and connected to the internet with it. I think there is much more going on with this receiver. I can no longer pause or rewind live TV. The internet/network problems are one thing, but the other issues I'm having appear to be related to data that would be written on the hard drive. I wonder if I have a bad drive.

My System info also says the internal temp of the receiver is 32f. Funny. Doesn't feel cold in here.
Adam-

#8 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:10 PM

you running esata drive?
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#9 OFFLINE   awoehler

awoehler

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:20 PM

you running esata drive?

I don't know. I have the standard HR23 box they sent me in December 2008.
Adam-

#10 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:25 PM

I don't know. I have the standard HR23 box they sent me in December 2008.

ok, no external drive. just those temps sounded like some had reported seeing with some external drives attached.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#11 OFFLINE   awoehler

awoehler

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:38 PM

Next step with Tech Support was to reformat the hard drive. When the hard drive would not recognize to be reformatted, they put in an order for a new receiver. Problem solved? Eh, kinda. What about the many hours of HD Movies I had on that hard drive that i haven't watched yet?

Can I add an external hard drive to an HR23 so if this happens again I won't lose all my movies?
Adam-

#12 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,501 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:03 PM

Can I add an external hard drive to an HR23 so if this happens again I won't lose all my movies?

Yes, you can use an external eSATA drive with the HR23 or any of the HD DVRs. But it won't protect you from losing recordings if the drive dies.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#13 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:52 AM

ok, no external drive. just those temps sounded like some had reported seeing with some external drives attached.

You get the 32 degree reading if the internal HDD is unplugged and you are running on an eSATA only. You get a 77 degree reading if an eSATA is attached to a 21,22 or 23. You get the real temp reading if an eSATA is attached to a 20-700.

Sounds as if he might have a bad HDD. I don't have any of those problems on my 23 (not using an eSATA). No way he should be getting that temp reading on a stock 23.

Rich

#14 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:04 AM

Next step with Tech Support was to reformat the hard drive. When the hard drive would not recognize to be reformatted, they put in an order for a new receiver. Problem solved? Eh, kinda. What about the many hours of HD Movies I had on that hard drive that i haven't watched yet?

Tech support was right for a change. Bad internal HDD. If you had formatted it, you would have lost the recordings so getting a new HR isn't that bad.

You have to remember, at the moment, the HDDs, be they internal or external, are "married'' to the HR and will not play the programs recorded on the HR they are "married" to on any other HR.

Rich

spam firewall