Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Mover, do I qualify for SWM?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gusmahler

gusmahler

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:03 PM

I lived in a house in California with two DVRs. I had two lines running to both receivers.

I recently moved to Arizona. My house is prewired with only one RG6 line to each TV. I plan to get 3 receivers in this house. I'll probably keep my existing HD DVR and SD DVR and get an additional HD DVR. Do I qualify for an SWM?

I read here that movers don't qualify for it.

If I don't qualify, what are my options? I don't want to run additional cable, so does that mean I have to buy the SWM equipment myself and give it to the installer.

Forgot to add one thing. I'm currently a cable TV subscriber. Obviously, I'll be dumping cable. But I'm going to keep Cable Internet. Can I diplex SWM signals?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:08 PM

As a defacto Mover's don't get SWM.

But in the field anything is possible.

Installer may or may not use customer purchased SWM modules.

What SD DVR do you have?
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#3 OFFLINE   gusmahler

gusmahler

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:48 PM

What SD DVR do you have?

R15

HD DVR is an HR20

Installer may or may not use customer purchased SWM modules.

I can sort of understand why they won't throw it in for free. But I can't understand why they won't install it even if I buy it myself. The only way I can use my DVRs without putting in additional cabling is to use SWM. So you're saying the installers would rather go through the trouble and time to run a second line to 3 separate locations instead of using DirecTV approved equipment that I purchase myself and that greatly simplify installation?

EDIT: Looking at the SWM8.com site, it looks like the R15 doesn't support SWM? I guess I'll need a new receiver then?

Edited by gusmahler, 27 July 2009 - 05:01 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:53 PM

R15 is not SWM compatible. Only way is SWM8 switch with dual legacy lines ot R15.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,210 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:56 PM

DIRECTV is goofy in that they're the only provider that may need multiple cables (and they can't tell you up front whether or not you will).

#6 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:17 PM

R15
But I can't understand why they won't install it even if I buy it myself.

Back charge, back charge back charge:rolleyes:

#7 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,065 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:36 PM

My son when he did a mover install was able to get the installer to go with a SWM. He just showed him where the existing cables were and what a b*tch it would be go run the 2nd line for the DVR. He called the office and got the OK for a SWMLNB, so I guess it helps to show the installer how doing a SWM will make is job easier and quicker so he can get into the next install.

And as mentioned, the R15 is a no go with a SWMLNB, so either replace it or get your own SWM8 and have the installer terminate all four lines form the LNB in a central place where you can splice in the SWM8.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#8 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:42 PM

3 lines wouldn't qualify even if he had the correct equipment.

#9 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,065 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:46 PM

3 lines wouldn't qualify even if he had the correct equipment.

He says he has 4 tuners now and would up it to 6 tuners at the new home. I thought the magic number was 5 tuners for SWMLNB's rule of thumb.

#10 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:53 PM

He says he has 4 tuners now and would up it to 6 tuners at the new home. I thought the magic number was 5 tuners for SWMLNB's rule of thumb.

Just as important, "New customers", which has been posted, many, many, many, many times.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#11 OFFLINE   tlieberg

tlieberg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:56 PM

I recently went through the Mover process and my house was pre-wired with RG6 to the receiver locations I wanted. Problem - only one cable to each location, including from outside into the distribution point in the basement. SWM was the right answer even though I only had an hd dvr and an hd receiver. The tech suggested it but had to get permission from his manager. Now, I can perhaps understand Directv's indifference to my distaste for cables running outside my house and more holes in my walls, but they certainly should care about the time the installer saved. He was out the time for the new dish regardless but after the dish was up, he was done in 15 minutes. The swm saved him probably two hours of cabling work minimum. I'm guessing most customers in my position would pay extra (and they did charge me a few extra $) for this and it would save time on these types of installs. Sure seems like a win/win to me.

#12 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:08 PM

And the reason for the "New Customers Only" rule is because DirecTV has no intention of paying to swap out receivers just to make them SWM compatible, which is the precise problem here. And most folks would balk at having to pay to "upgrade" an R15 to an R16 just to gain SWM compatibility, so the simpler and more diplomatic way of dealing with that is to just declare SWMs to be for new customers only. That way, they can be assured of having SWM-compatible equipment.

#13 OFFLINE   tlieberg

tlieberg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:19 PM

And the reason for the "New Customers Only" rule is because DirecTV has no intention of paying to swap out receivers just to make them SWM compatible, which is the precise problem here. And most folks would balk at having to pay to "upgrade" an R15 to an R16 just to gain SWM compatibility, so the simpler and more diplomatic way of dealing with that is to just declare SWMs to be for new customers only. That way, they can be assured of having SWM-compatible equipment.

Understood, but how about giving the customer a choice? Given the number of times this topic comes up here on DBSTalk, it sure seems like a segment of customers would happily pay for it. And of course, I'm compelled to observe that in all other conversations of this type, Directv apparently CAN'T assure anyone of what's on the truck :P

#14 OFFLINE   gusmahler

gusmahler

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:00 PM

I agree. I'm willing to pay for it. What surprised me is that Mertzen said that an installer might not install it even if I pay for it.

I guess it's not that big a deal. My house is pre-wired and has a central location for all the wiring for the house. I can easily do the interior portion myself because of the central wiring. So if the installer balks at installing it, I'll just get the SWM equipment myself from the Internet and only have the installer put in the dish. (I'm assuming they'll let me do that, right?)

#15 OFFLINE   TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:21 AM

So if the installer balks at installing it, I'll just get the SWM equipment myself from the Internet and only have the installer put in the dish. (I'm assuming they'll let me do that, right?)

It's hit or miss for the same reason Mertzen said of the tech installing it for you. Backcharges.

If the installer puts in a SWM that isn't on the workorder and the sup sees it on the QC, it will be an automatic fail in most areas and will result in the tech getting a backcharge (many times, the backcharge is more than the tech got paid in the first place). It's not right that installers fail QCs for installing compatible equipment that the customer owns, but it happens. (When I was an installer, I had a sup tell me it was because there was no way to tell if it was property of the customer or HSP property that the installer may have sold on the side. I told him that sounded like a you problem, lol.)

If the installer only puts in the dish, he is opening himself up to backcharges from a failed QC and a SIN-7 from the "thinks he knows it all, but really doesn't" customer. I'm not saying you don't know what you're doing. Just saying that many people techs come across in the field that act like they do couldn't put a connector on properly even if the tech let them borrow the correct tools.

The best way to understand why an installer may not put in a customer owned SWM is to put yourself in the installer's shoes. Would you take a chance on getting backcharged $100 or so on a job that you got paid maybe $50-90 and took several hours to install?

Edited by TigersFanJJ, 28 July 2009 - 06:29 AM.

#16 OFFLINE   gusmahler

gusmahler

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:32 AM

So I guess my best bet is to call a local installer, and explain my situation to them before getting anything on my own.

Which brings up my next question, who should I call in Phoenix?

#17 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:15 AM

Understood, but how about giving the customer a choice? Given the number of times this topic comes up here on DBSTalk, it sure seems like a segment of customers would happily pay for it. And of course, I'm compelled to observe that in all other conversations of this type, Directv apparently CAN'T assure anyone of what's on the truck :P

DirecTV's official approved custom work rate sheet lists SWM LNB upgrades as an item for customers who don't otherwise qualify. The cost is $135, and does not include receiver replacements, which would have to be done with DirecTV prior to the SWM installation/Mover's. Expensive, but 100% "by the book" and allowable under the HSP system.

#18 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,065 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:44 AM

DirecTV's official approved custom work rate sheet lists SWM LNB upgrades as an item for customers who don't otherwise qualify. The cost is $135...

IMHO, that price is a rip off. You can get a SWMLNB3 for $79.99 or SWMLNB5 for $89.99 + the PI for $18.93 (prices from Solidsignal). Plus it saves DirecTV the cost of the non-SWM LNB (SS has the 3LNB for $29.99) putting the price even more out of line.

So the customer ends up paying more fom the parts from DirecTV vs. outside vendor while the installer would probably be able to get the job done quicker letting him maybe earn a few more dollars. Yea, I know the rules are the rules but they do smell a bit.

#19 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:00 PM

IMHO, that price is a rip off. You can get a SWMLNB3 for $79.99 or SWMLNB5 for $89.99 + the PI for $18.93 (prices from Solidsignal). Plus it saves DirecTV the cost of the non-SWM LNB (SS has the 3LNB for $29.99) putting the price even more out of line.

So the customer ends up paying more fom the parts from DirecTV vs. outside vendor while the installer would probably be able to get the job done quicker letting him maybe earn a few more dollars. Yea, I know the rules are the rules but they do smell a bit.

How much would it cost if you bought it at a retailer then had to pay a technician to do the job? I think overall it's still cheaper.

#20 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:05 PM

A: I want a SWM.
B: You don't qualify.

A: I want one anyway; I'm willing to pay for it.
B: Okay, here's what it costs to get as a custom item.

A: That's too expensive; I don't want to pay.
B: <sigh>

Let's remember that there is a FREE way to get installed: let the installer run the 2nd line. If you don't want that, you're in "custom" territory. Folks are spoiled by the ultra-low, commodity DirecTV/Dish install prices and don't realize what things cost. Call a home theater company and ask them what they'll charge to provide and install a Slimline w/SWM LNB and get your existing receivers connected. You'll quickly realize that DirecTV's prices are a bargain.

And nothing is stopping anyone from buying their own parts and doing their own install.

Still, just because I can buy brake pads at AutoZone for $20 for my car doesn't mean that I'm going to get a professional to provide and install new brake pads on my car for anywhere near that price. That's going to start at $50-100 at any shop. Why is this any different?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...