Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Mover, do I qualify for SWM?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,383 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:10 PM

You could use your wife's. But I'm pretty sure direct is not "saving" and comparing ssn's. My guess is that they are not going to expose customer ssn's to a crowd of phone customer service reps.

Because both SSNs are likely associated with your credit record, it doesn't make much difference who's you use.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Wally20

Wally20

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:41 AM

Because both SSNs are likely associated with your credit record, it doesn't make much difference who's you use.

Are you sure about that? If they only have my wife's SSN how would mine show up on her credit report? I don't think SSNs are linked like that.

#43 OFFLINE   jamesgangnc

jamesgangnc

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:01 PM

Yes, the credit reports tend to be aware of the relationship. They may or may not pick up on it. A completely new account might get you a new install at the new location.

That will not solve your other problem. You still have not clarified the state of your account. When you suspended it had you met the commitment? Probably 2 years. How many months do you have left? If you have not met the commitment then none of that equipment can ever be activated until you sort of out. And direct is going to bill you a penalty when you try to close the account. They will try to collect. You're better off doing a move and reactivating it all and completing your commitment.

#44 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,383 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:28 PM

Are you sure about that? If they only have my wife's SSN how would mine show up on her credit report? I don't think SSNs are linked like that.

If you are legally married and/or have ever signed a finance contract jointly, you're linked.

#45 OFFLINE   tlieberg

tlieberg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:59 PM

Out of 15 million customers, how many do you think really care. :sure:

If by that you're asking how many customers know about SWM and would ask for it by name? A small sliver.

If, however, we're talking about how many would be interested in an option that used existing wiring or did not require wire bundles running down and around their house or multiple holes being placed in their walls, then I think that number would go up.

I've been popping in and out of dbstalk for several months now and I've seen quite a few "I want SWM" or "I have this situation - what would work? And SWM is a great answer" threads but Battlezone's post about it being an officially supported option at $135 is the first I'd heard about that. All other threads implied local dealer install or DIY as the only alternatives. So my request that D* offer it as an option appears to be filled only it seems very, very few know about it.

#46 OFFLINE   DaaQ

DaaQ

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:05 PM

IMHO, that price is a rip off. You can get a SWMLNB3 for $79.99 or SWMLNB5 for $89.99 + the PI for $18.93 (prices from Solidsignal). Plus it saves DirecTV the cost of the non-SWM LNB (SS has the 3LNB for $29.99) putting the price even more out of line.

So the customer ends up paying more fom the parts from DirecTV vs. outside vendor while the installer would probably be able to get the job done quicker letting him maybe earn a few more dollars. Yea, I know the rules are the rules but they do smell a bit.

Just so you know, IF, I happen to lose a SWM LNB lets use a SL3S as an example, I would have to pay $95 and some change. So that is the cost of an SL3S in my area. But I am sure you won't believe it because SS is selling them for less.

#47 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:23 AM

Just so you know, IF, I happen to lose a SWM LNB lets use a SL3S as an example, I would have to pay $95 and some change. So that is the cost of an SL3S in my area. But I am sure you won't believe it because SS is selling them for less.

So what's your point, you can find things more or less expensive then one place or another if you look.

My point is that if SS can sell this hardware for these prices then what DirecTV is paying for them is even less. DirecTV is making some profit on them selling them to SS, my point is that the difference between what SS sells them for and what D* charges ($135) for a SWMLNB on an install is a rif off, that's a $55 difference.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#48 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:53 AM

My point is that if SS can sell this hardware for these prices then what DirecTV is paying for them is even less. DirecTV is making some profit on them selling them to SS, my point is that the difference between what SS sells them for and what D* charges ($135) for a SWMLNB on an install is a rif off, that's a $55 difference.

So what?

A breaker on your circuit panel in your house dies. If you call an electrician, he'll come out, charge you $60 for labor and $60 for the new breaker. Or, *if you know what you're doing*, you can go to Home Depot and buy the same breaker for $20 and install it yourself. But people who decide to call electricians rarely have a problem with the price difference of the part.

The point is that DirecTV is a for-profit company. They've never advertised SWMs or done anything to give any customer any expectation that they were promised one. The fact that the SWM exists does not entitle anyone to it. But they make them available to people who want one and don't qualify for it under their business rules, *at a price.* Like anything else, if you don't like the price, don't buy it. They'll still do your install for you, with legacy equipment, and you'll end up with the same service. Sure, you might have some visible cable and a few more holes in the house, but that's the reality of most people's installs.

I'm just constantly amazed at the sense of entitlement that so many people have...

#49 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:03 AM

So what?

A breaker on your circuit panel in your house dies. If you call an electrician, he'll come out, charge you $60 for labor and $60 for the new breaker. Or, *if you know what you're doing*, you can go to Home Depot and buy the same breaker for $20 and install it yourself. But people who decide to call electricians rarely have a problem with the price difference of the part.

The point is that DirecTV is a for-profit company. They've never advertised SWMs or done anything to give any customer any expectation that they were promised one. The fact that the SWM exists does not entitle anyone to it. But they make them available to people who want one and don't qualify for it under their business rules, *at a price.* Like anything else, if you don't like the price, don't buy it. They'll still do your install for you, with legacy equipment, and you'll end up with the same service. Sure, you might have some visible cable and a few more holes in the house, but that's the reality of most people's installs.

I'm just constantly amazed at the sense of entitlement that so many people have...

OK, I'll remember you and see if you're one of the folks that will post next March about DirecTV raising rates and how can they do that every year;)

I'm voiceing my opinion that what D*'s asking for is out of line, you're voiceing yours that it's alright for them to charge whatever they want.

#50 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 02:13 PM

So what's your point, you can find things more or less expensive then one place or another if you look.

DirecTV does not sell them to SS. These are made by 3rd party manufacturers. SS can order them all day long and as many as they want.

If car dealers sold parts at Napa costs them Napa wouldn't be around. Companies set the cost and people choose to purcharse it or not.

#51 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 02:17 PM

DirecTV does not sell them to SS. These are made by 3rd party manufacturers. SS can order them all day long and as many as they want.

If car dealers sold parts at Napa costs them Napa wouldn't be around. Companies set the cost and people choose to purcharse it or not.

DirecTV makes nothing, they farm out manufacturing to others, but that doesn't mean that they aren't distributed through DirecTV. Using your logic then a BestBuy can go to Thompson, Samsung or Pace directly and order HR2X's and cut DirecTV out of any profit on those devices.

#52 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:26 PM

OK, I'll remember you and see if you're one of the folks that will post next March about DirecTV raising rates and how can they do that every year;)

I self-installed DirecTV in 1996, and I haven't complained about the prices yet.

I'm voiceing my opinion that what D*'s asking for is out of line, you're voiceing yours that it's alright for them to charge whatever they want.

Any company is free to charge whatever they want for anything. It's called Free Enterprise. And you as a consumer are free to do without, seek a similar product elsewhere at a better price, or pay what they're asking. If the company prices the product too high, no one will buy it, so if they *want* people to buy them, they'll be forced to lower their price.

But I suspect that DirecTV simply choose a "forget it" price-point. I do that sometimes if I'm dealing with a difficult customer or a very difficult job. I'll quote a high price, knowing that most people will say "forget it." If they don't, then at least I know that I'm getting paid well to deal with their issues.

The bottom line is that DirecTV doesn't want to be bothered with work order changes or anything that causes extra work and expense for them. So, they chose a price point that they felt made it worth the extra work for them. Remember: they've already obligated the tech to run the extra lines if necessary, so they don't care if the tech has to do a lot more work; they won't be paying the tech any extra either way.

#53 OFFLINE   Bubbalotski

Bubbalotski

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:45 PM

Just got a Mover install in Northern Virginia and got a SWM. Then again I have 2 HR20s and 2 HR22s and no legacy equipment was going to be hooked up (retired the last of it this go round).

My installer said that his supervisor told him it would just be easier to do the SWM.

Installer got a nice tip from me as well. :)

spam firewall